Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Help me out, I am concidering an 1190... (doing shopping)  (Read 9280 times)

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Help me out, I am concidering an 1190... (doing shopping)
« on: November 30, 2016, 07:30:07 am »
Hey Guys....

I am concidering an 1190 but have some concerns. (I guess there has been many threads like these I know, feel free to post a link?)

My background, 1200 GS And GSA. so that will be my comparisson. I like speed but I am an intermediate rider which have done some courses and some big trips, but only have 4 years in the sadle and no Enduro background.....so I cant wheelie or jump.
But I would love to....

So, my biggest concern is reliability, I have had to do major repairs in the past on my GS's, shaft and oil seal which have each come to a R10k repair bill.....now I see R10k as major and about as big as anything will get...how does this compare to possible costs on an 1190? even with this I never felt that I would not get onto my GS at any time and do a 10000km trip into whatever direction, gravel or tar, how would you feel about getting onto your 1190 tomorrow and doing that?
that was concerns nr 1??

nr2?
Range? how far will you go on a tank doing 140? The GS was sometime a pain to constantly stop for a fillup but manageable...

nr3?
I have done a dustybutt, that was 23hrs in the saddle in one go, and my body was still fine. Also many other 16hr days, am I going to miss my GS? how is the wind protection, body position...?

nr4?
changing the oil on my bike wont take half an hour and cost me less than R500, using liqui moley...comparisson. Every second service I will have done at a dealer. Comparisson? I have never paid more than R2500 for a service either, comparisson.

nr5?
I will be buying second hand, maybe in the R130k price range, whats my chances of buying a dud? and if a dud...see concern nr 1...how bad can it get?

nr6?
Air box dust issue...have anyone paid with his own money for an engine yet? I am not overly concerned with this but would still like feedback. Generally the higher mileage bikes I buy have done some miles and issues like these would have already surfaced and been adressed, thoughts?

nr7?
bearing in mind my grandpa-GS background...I have heard the MP suspension internals have been skimped on in the 1190, that its no where near as good as the suspension on a 990, will I even notice?

nr8?
a totally different discussion this, but how many extras will it need to be touring friendly...spots, wide footpegs, crashbars and pannier racks (I have soft luggage), will RAM mount on handlebar for GPS be fine?, bashplate, light guard. any chain related stuff needed? that heat shield thing and the special air filter I guess....anything else?

Its a lot of money and I stay in Kathu...no dealers near me. So please keep that in mind...

Oh, why would I concider KTM in the first place and not just stay with my GS when it ticks all my boxes...hooligan factor seems awesome. maybe I should stop checking the Riemann and Birch vids.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:36:10 pm by m0lt3n »
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Nish

Re: Help me out....I am concidering an 1190...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 07:54:49 am »
I hope you are referring to a 1190 R - sounds more like what you require..
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul..

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 08:02:50 am »
I hope you are referring to a 1190 R - sounds more like what you require..

I did know the difference but forgot it now...THe one has manual and higher suspension and 21 front wheel while other is 'softer'.
I guess when buying comes I will buy whichever deal is best, maybe something with upgraded rims already.

Thats actually another concern, if not the biggest...

NO TUBELESS TYRES!
every time I get excited about concidering a new/different bike this will sort me out quickest. But let me try get over that.

Offline Worsbeer

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 08:08:11 am »
Subscribed!!!!!!

Ek het myne ('n 2014 R) met 2360km op gekoop. Net belly plate as n extra op gehad. Het R1660 betaal vir n jaarlikse olie service. Airbox was mooi skoon met DNA filter van dag 1 af.

My opinie en almal is geregtig op n opinie al is dit nie n goeie een. Ek het n 1800km trip gedoen. Was net teer. Average spoed op die computer was 167. Ek het 12.8km op n liter gekry. Elke 200km gestop vir brandstof. Ek het nie gestop om bene te rek nie, ek het net gestop om brandstof in te gooi. Baie lekker gesit en nie moeg geraak. Ek het wel vir my n touring screen vir R1850 bestel toe ek terug by die huis gekom het. Elke sent werd. Die krag is ongelooflik en as jy op 200 die oor draai, hoor jy die Akro (wat ek opgesit het) en dan trek hy NOG! Ek het gery dat as iets moet breek, moes dit op daardie trip breek, want ek het nog n paar dae warrenty oor gehad

Ek het nog nie ver grond trips gedoen nie en nog net mooi grondpaaie gery. Met die Attacks wat hy op het, het ek nog niks gesukkel nie. Slides deur die draaie loop baie glad en ek is heeltyd in beheer. Die throttle en krag saam laat jou toe om die agterwiel hier langs jou te laat hardloop en maak vinnig jou k@k reg as dit te ver gegaan het. Hier is die suspensie nie n probleem. 100hp is genoeg vir die grond, maar KTM kon maar die krane oop gelos het

Ek het nog nie tegnies gery nie en ek dink dis daar waar dit gaan interesant raak

Hierdie is net my opinie en niemand hoef saam te stem   Lees en gaan aan. Hierdie is nie soos enige fiets wat ek al ooit gery het nie. Alles is mooi uitgesort en werk goed saam. Ek het die 990 ook gehad en afgeskryf. As ek weer moet kies, koop ek weer die 1190. Dis n ongelooflike fiets en niks het nog so n smile op my gesig gesit

Groete
Die Worsbeer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KTM 1290 SAR, 950S adventure
Honda AfricaTwin RD04, CRF450, XR500, Kinetic DX
BMW K1200LT
Yamaha WR450

Online Ventana

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 08:20:43 am »
Sub  :ricky:
"Never look down on anyone, unless you're helping them up"

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:34:15 am »
1 - The 1190 has 15,000km service intervals so generally speaking a random 10,000km trip in any direction is something the bike will do no problem. Just take chain lube with you...

2 - A quick google shows guys getting 370~380km with mixed riding. You might squeeze 400km out of a tank in ideal conditions.

3 - Only a test ride will tell you what the seating position, seat comfort and wind protection is like for you. Everyone's arm/leg/torso length is a bit different so anecdotal feedback and reviews mean very little.

4 - KTM uses Motorex synthetic oil which isn't cheap. The debate rages on whether it's worth paying for it or using something cheaper. The actual oil change process is dead easy and outlined in the manual. I can't comment on service costs but I'd be willing to bet you'll average more than R2500. Shaft drives are cheaper to maintain but expensive when they eventually fail.

5 - The same questions apply to buying any second hand vehicle. Generally speaking the R is ridden harder than the non-R but that's a broad generalisation. There might be specifics to look out for on the 1190 but I don't know of any aside from the air filter recall.

6 - Check when the air filter recall was done in relation to the current mileage on the bike. It'll give you a good idea of how diligent the owner was with getting it done and what chances there are of damage being done.

7 - I doubt you'll notice. The 1190R's suspension is bigger & better than that on the non-R. I'm pretty sure both are better than the GS though. Again, only a ride will really tell you if you'll notice.

8 - Essential: Crash bars, pannier racks, heat shield, air filter, orange headlight cover
     Nice to have: Spots, wide footpegs,
     Bashplate and headlight guard depend on the kind of riding you're doing.
     RAM's GPS mounts are brilliant. You can mount them above the instruments for a neat & tidy look but a bar mount works well enough.

KTMs are just fun. It's difficult to explain. Just go ride them (both the R and non-R) and you'll see.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 08:51:22 am »
NO TUBELESS TYRES!
every time I get excited about concidering a new/different bike this will sort me out quickest. But let me try get over that.

Die 1190s is mos tubeless. :deal:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 09:27:11 am »
Thanks Worsbeer, so opinie is ook wat ek wil hoor.

iamgiggles thanks for solid answers.
Its difficult to get a proper test ride in, I test rode the AT over Montagu pass the other day and think I would have done better with my GSA, simply because I felt more comfortable, plus it had crash protection so you dont care for a spill, plus offroad tyres which the AT did not have. What I mean is a test ride is not only difficult to do, but it also takes a lot of riding before you are comfortable and can actually build a good opinion.
I have driven 1190 adv, I was not impressed with lack of low end grunt, but was impressed with how light it was when I lost my balance turning around in tight space (I drove next to the highway)
that range is better than what I got on my GS. good news.

Thanks Chris
I have been looking at 800s for to long. So the only concern there is the soft rims, which is sortable.

Online Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 10:19:54 am »
I've also only been riding around 4 years and only 18months on a ADV bike and dirt.

Had 1190 for about a year, now have the R version.

R suspension feel better everywhere to me. It is slightly softer in that it has more travel, but it absorbs fucking everything (for me anyway).
R seat is harder but its hard to say whether its less comfortable....It almost feels to me like it fits your ass better, the regular one has more padding though.
The Electronic suspension on the regular one is very cool if you take a pillion wuite often. 2 clicks on the dash to set the Preload for the required load. Thats pretty cool but ultimately not something I do often so yeh.
Wind buffetting for me is far less on the R, even though it has a much lower screen. This will obviously vary rider to rider, but I'm wy happier at speed on my R than I was on my adv.

The airbox thing is a concern. If you can find a bike that has had a UNIFilter setup from very early in it's life you're probably fine though.  I bought my first 1190 with 14k kms on, opened the airbox after having it 2 days and it was full of kak (With a DNA filter!!!)   literally sent the bike back and got my money back from the dealer, reversed the deal.
Do not believe any dealer that tells you "oh they fixed that in 2014/2015/2016" or whatever year model you're looking at. It's not fixed and the DNA filter alone doesn't work.

Otherwise they seem really reliable. Warranty claims have been perfectly smooth (my previous one had a oil leak from the stator cover, and the oil temp sensor failed but that was all replaced smoothly from RAD)

Online Roadhawg

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 10:24:03 am »
Oh ya.

Compared to the GS, the 1190 is a bit more peaky, not quite as happy at low RPM and not quite as torqey down there.   It just feels "naughtier" though if you know what I mean. :biggrin: And when the revs get up there....Its just silly.

I kind of feel like I'm doing something naughty every time I ride mine.  Feels like that much fun shouldn't be allowed. :imaposer:

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 10:28:02 am »
Thanks Roadhawg.
Okay, so it will have to be an R.
I swapped my GS for a GSA mostly due to the better suspension, I should have remembered that earlier when starting this thread.
I understand how it can feel softer but work better, on the GS I could not pre-load the suspension before hitting a bump, on the GSA it works very well even while the bike is heavier.
I used to pillion a lot, but dont anymore (two babies in home) which is also why I am looking at this.

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 12:37:30 pm »
Thanks Roadhawg.
Okay, so it will have to be an R.
I swapped my GS for a GSA mostly due to the better suspension, I should have remembered that earlier when starting this thread.
I understand how it can feel softer but work better, on the GS I could not pre-load the suspension before hitting a bump, on the GSA it works very well even while the bike is heavier.
I used to pillion a lot, but dont anymore (two babies in home) which is also why I am looking at this.

Yes tjom kry die AAAAAR. It is a lekka bike and you won`t be sorry. Gooi that unifilter and enjoy. You will not look back!
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 12:49:10 pm »
The airbox issue, have anoyone had to pay for repairs with their own money yet?

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 12:51:20 pm »
Oh, and how should the resale of the 1190 be affected now that it is to be discontinued soon?
The 950/990 have been very very good wrt resale, the 1190 do not have the same following though

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 12:53:20 pm »
Oh, and how should the resale of the 1190 be affected now that it is to be discontinued soon?
The 950/990 have been very very good wrt resale, the 1190 do not have the same following though

Yeah with the 1090 and 1290 coming out I'm sure you'll see a few sweet deals on the 1190, especially from the dealerships.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Online Roadhawg

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 02:36:46 pm »

Yeah with the 1090 and 1290 coming out I'm sure you'll see a few sweet deals on the 1190, especially from the dealerships.

But hopefully it'll gain some legend status when they stop building them  :biggrin:

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »

But hopefully it'll gain some legend status when they stop building them  :biggrin:

Well  the 1190 AAAAR`s power is basically the limit were I enjoy biking to the fullest. I will definitely be keeping mine although the 1290ties are coming!
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA

Online Roadhawg

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 03:01:23 pm »

Well  the 1190 AAAAR`s power is basically the limit were I enjoy biking to the fullest. I will definitely be keeping mine although the 1290ties are coming!

Yeah, Thats how I feel.  I dont want more power, but I don't want less either. and the 1090 doesn't save enough weight to make a difference.

Offline AfricaOffroad

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 04:49:46 pm »
I'm sure the 1290R is going to be better than my 2013 1190R.
But I don't think I want to spend another R100k for 10 hp.
2018 KTM 1290 T
2018 Husqvarna TE 300

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 05:19:39 pm »
it would be wonderful if KTM could release a software upgrade for the 1190 to reduce the power to say 140kW and increase the torque commensurately

The low end torque of the 1290 is simply wonderful - RAD have always given me a 1190 when my 1290 has been in for a service and riding the two bikes properly directly after each other, does show how superior the 1290 motor is - their new uprated 1090 and 1290 should make everybody happy