Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Help me out, I am concidering an 1190... (doing shopping)  (Read 10333 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Help me out....I am concidering an 1190...
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2016, 11:38:27 am »

For me, worst case would be a head rebuild because of dust.  I think the R7800 service would pale in comparison to that cost. 

Haven't actually heard of anyone needing an 1190 clutch.  It's a wet clutch so should last much longer than a GS clutch.    Out of warranty, I would find a reliable indy and not use KTM for anything personally. 

Let me clarify abused...
I have ridden the clutch on my previous bike till I was covered in clutch smoke. 10 minutes later again same story climbing rocks, so much so that the bike was stuck in first, I parked, helped buddies through, got on and it was fine and forgotten. Thats on an air cooled which have dry clutch. The LC have a wet clutch....but it seems its not exactly as good as the old one...
I have seen other guys at the GS trophy doing a slow race that they almost get bored, riding the clutch on an LC wet clutch also till the smoke comes out. And that bike (and another also) had done about 10000km and was already on a second clutch.

Maybe this will explain better why I keep asking about costs. I see an adventure as doing what you shouldnt with the wrong equipment :)
The air cooled clutch is about R12k as bike needs to be split in two to replace it, on LC the clutch is at the front easily accessed and its an R5k job. I will ask a KTM dealer what it should be on an 1190.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2016, 11:58:50 am »

For me, worst case would be a head rebuild because of dust.  I think the R7800 service would pale in comparison to that cost. 

Haven't actually heard of anyone needing an 1190 clutch.  It's a wet clutch so should last much longer than a GS clutch.    Out of warranty, I would find a reliable indy and not use KTM for anything personally. 

Let me clarify abused...
I have ridden the clutch on my previous bike till I was covered in clutch smoke. 10 minutes later again same story climbing rocks, so much so that the bike was stuck in first, I parked, helped buddies through, got on and it was fine and forgotten. Thats on an air cooled which have dry clutch. The LC have a wet clutch....but it seems its not exactly as good as the old one...
I have seen other guys at the GS trophy doing a slow race that they almost get bored, riding the clutch on an LC wet clutch also till the smoke comes out. And that bike (and another also) had done about 10000km and was already on a second clutch.

Maybe this will explain better why I keep asking about costs. I see an adventure as doing what you shouldnt with the wrong equipment :)
The air cooled clutch is about R12k as bike needs to be split in two to replace it, on LC the clutch is at the front easily accessed and its an R5k job. I will ask a KTM dealer what it should be on an 1190.

Hell I'd DIY it on the 1190. Throw the bike on its side, open clutch cover and replace the bits :biggrin:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2016, 12:08:12 pm »
Hehe Roadhawg. I like DIY, but minor things.
Thought I would add the pic of that crankshaft oil leak repair.... The clutch repair would require almost the same labour on air cooled.

And then 200km later the oil leak was back, so the comeback I mentioned earlier, the guy had to redo this job on his own cost/time...

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2016, 12:14:24 pm »
I've read many forums specifically on the 1190 and can't recall a clutch failure - main thing is dust without good filtration, but I also haven't read of that many engines needing rebuilds, considering the problem is so widely spread

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2016, 12:17:57 pm »
Jayzlike, yeah I dont think i'd attempt that either.   Luckily I have a mate with a bike shop so he's always a call away if I need some real help.

The clutch should be fairly easy on the 1190.  It's on the side, and its a dry sump so technically you shouldn't even lose much oil doing it.

The Valve clearance service is pricey because there's a lot to remove to get access to the heads, especially the front one.  Have a look next time you're next to an 1190. So it's not that hard to do, just time consuming to remove and replace all the bits to get there.   

The motor is basically an evolution of the 950 motor to my knowledge so many of the processes are the same and the 950 is VERY well documented with its quirks and common faults etc.

Offline Rexc-w

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2016, 12:18:52 pm »
OH my greatness!..I will never complain again that I have to remove the tank to clean the air filter.

1190 Clutch plates replacement I would think less than 20minutes. Never heard of one needing replacement though.
Rex
(KTM 1190 Adv R - 2013, KTM 300 XCW - 2016, Specialized Epic S-Works)

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2016, 12:23:06 pm »
You can stuff up any clutch on any bike if you try hard enough.

But there was no recall on clutch to clear things up  :thumleft:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2016, 12:34:50 pm »
Molt3 ek beginne nou jou fred vermy, die 1190 begin al mooi lyk so baie het ek al gekyk en gelees oor hulle vandat jou fred begin het.
Ek is bang ek ontwikkel n jeuk!!!!! :eek7:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2016, 12:41:57 pm »
Molt3 ek beginne nou jou fred vermy, die 1190 begin al mooi lyk so baie het ek al gekyk en gelees oor hulle vandat jou fred begin het.
Ek is bang ek ontwikkel n jeuk!!!!! :eek7:

Crap vriende op die thread. Manne wil nie verskonings gee om op te hou kyk na 1190 nie. Ek probeer daai verskoning uit krap!

Hoe meer ek lees klink dit of die 1190 ouens die bike vir hulle self wou gehou het. Ek verstaan nie hoekom ek nie al lankal na hulle gekyk het nie.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2016, 01:10:14 pm »
Ok ok man, moenie een koop nie, dis n baie kak bike  :laughing4:

Offline Robslim

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2016, 01:25:36 pm »
My 1190 R 30 000km service cost R 7 800; 45 000km's cost me R 1 700 and R 60 000km service was about R 6000. As manic says, it chows back tyres. Pirelli Scorpions I get 4 500km's if I stretch replacing them. I'm on 63 000km's now and touch wood, no issues yet. fork seals will be done now at R 2 500 quoted cost. My fuel range according to bike computer is 340k's on a tank although I've filled up on "0" fuel range before but it only took 18 liters ??? No regrets so far.... it's a absolute jol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Robslim. Some nice info, can you maybe say what was done extra with the more expensive services? I am guessing they did not include tyres?

Hi - no it did not include tyres, valve clearance was the costly bit, every 15 000km's as mentioned below its apparently quite a time consuming exercise so the labour costs are high. I did chain and sprockets about 2 months ago - R 2 600.00 incl the parts and labour. If and when you decide to buy, you can add on a "major repair/ breakdown warranty/ insurance" if you buy the bike out of warranty for some peace of mind. I took this option, but can't remember offhand who it was through or what it cost me, I'll have to check, I have the policy saved in a folder. Its probably a good thing, but I also can't vouch for the effectiveness of the insurance as fortunately I haven't had to claim. I still go through the dealer for all my services as it gives you the benefit of any manufacturer upgrades which have all been free of charge. Hope this helps. Just buy the damn thing now, you'll never look back

My Prozac: KTM 1290 SA R, KTM 250 EXC TPI

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2016, 01:30:36 pm »
Hehe Roadhawg. I like DIY, but minor things.
Thought I would add the pic of that crankshaft oil leak repair.... The clutch repair would require almost the same labour on air cooled.

And then 200km later the oil leak was back, so the comeback I mentioned earlier, the guy had to redo this job on his own cost/time...

So om daai bm se clutch te fix is `n moerse job dan. Nie net sommer gou langs die pad se storie nie?
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2016, 01:32:29 pm »
Valve clearance is actually every 30 000km.

They started to check at 15 000km to see if the motor got dust sucked in.

If you dont have starting issues, let them do it every 30 000km  :thumleft:

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2016, 01:40:34 pm »

My son and I both bought our bikes new in Jan 2015 and had the unifilter system installed from the word go. His bike has 27500 kays on the clock and mine has 28500. Both of us have not had any problems and do the bikes not struggle at all to start. Valve service is at 30000 kays.
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA

Offline Robslim

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2016, 01:46:23 pm »

Cool. Will do so - thanks.

My Prozac: KTM 1290 SA R, KTM 250 EXC TPI

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2016, 02:35:16 pm »
If I can give feedback.

I called some branches asking for a secondhand R and if they accept trade ins...
PE: they have sold for new 1190's in the last week and have one 2nd hand Adv for 145k. Its a clients bike they are selling so they wont accept trade ins on it. It does not sound special wrt extras either.
Bloemfontein: 2x2014 adv 1190's on the floor. both less than 10000km on, the one is R145k and the other fully kitted is R175k. They will want to see my bike before trading and that also only next year.
Klerksdorp: also no R's 2nd hand in stock, they are requesting pictures of my bike though so seems interested in doing business. They also mention R20k trade assist but I think that will only be on a new(ish) bike.

So all in all, I guess I will have to take the longer slower route, sell my bike privately and then buy on Gumtree. I would prefer to trade though as I dont feel like consistently explaining that the GS is an adv bike and was used as such, its not spotless as seems to be expected.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2016, 02:41:45 pm »
R175k for a 2014, even with some extras is pushing it a bit hey Sheesh.  When you could buy a NEW one For R189k in the last couple months because of the new models coming?

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 02:49:00 pm »
Speak to Shaun Portman at RAD moto as well man.  They were the first okes to realise the UNI was needed and they're a legit Dealer.

Offline Roadhawg

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:08 am »
Speak to Shaun Portman at RAD moto as well man.  They were the first okes to realise the UNI was needed and they're a legit Dealer.

They are offering me r75k trade for my 2011 GSA, but they also dont have an R currently and refuse any actual discussion without seeing my bike first.
Which is fair, though I dont understand why a discussion cant go like this...
good condition: R110k.
High mileage: R100k
+Bad condition: R90k
+extras: 95 to R100k

but no, R75k offer if its good condition, while trade value is around R110k (I think)
anyhow, what I have seen is that this wont be a quick swop. I cant dump R20k because I am impatient. And I would like a well kitted 1190 as well, I like extras. :