Help me out, I am concidering an 1190... (doing shopping)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hey Guys....

I am concidering an 1190 but have some concerns. (I guess there has been many threads like these I know, feel free to post a link?)

My background, 1200 GS And GSA. so that will be my comparisson. I like speed but I am an intermediate rider which have done some courses and some big trips, but only have 4 years in the sadle and no Enduro background.....so I cant wheelie or jump.
But I would love to....

So, my biggest concern is reliability, I have had to do major repairs in the past on my GS's, shaft and oil seal which have each come to a R10k repair bill.....now I see R10k as major and about as big as anything will get...how does this compare to possible costs on an 1190? even with this I never felt that I would not get onto my GS at any time and do a 10000km trip into whatever direction, gravel or tar, how would you feel about getting onto your 1190 tomorrow and doing that?
that was concerns nr 1??

nr2?
Range? how far will you go on a tank doing 140? The GS was sometime a pain to constantly stop for a fillup but manageable...

nr3?
I have done a dustybutt, that was 23hrs in the saddle in one go, and my body was still fine. Also many other 16hr days, am I going to miss my GS? how is the wind protection, body position...?

nr4?
changing the oil on my bike wont take half an hour and cost me less than R500, using liqui moley...comparisson. Every second service I will have done at a dealer. Comparisson? I have never paid more than R2500 for a service either, comparisson.

nr5?
I will be buying second hand, maybe in the R130k price range, whats my chances of buying a dud? and if a dud...see concern nr 1...how bad can it get?

nr6?
Air box dust issue...have anyone paid with his own money for an engine yet? I am not overly concerned with this but would still like feedback. Generally the higher mileage bikes I buy have done some miles and issues like these would have already surfaced and been adressed, thoughts?

nr7?
bearing in mind my grandpa-GS background...I have heard the MP suspension internals have been skimped on in the 1190, that its no where near as good as the suspension on a 990, will I even notice?

nr8?
a totally different discussion this, but how many extras will it need to be touring friendly...spots, wide footpegs, crashbars and pannier racks (I have soft luggage), will RAM mount on handlebar for GPS be fine?, bashplate, light guard. any chain related stuff needed? that heat shield thing and the special air filter I guess....anything else?

Its a lot of money and I stay in Kathu...no dealers near me. So please keep that in mind...

Oh, why would I concider KTM in the first place and not just stay with my GS when it ticks all my boxes...hooligan factor seems awesome. maybe I should stop checking the Riemann and Birch vids.