Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: LC LED Headlamp  (Read 777 times)

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
LC LED Headlamp
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:15:48 pm »
Dear Dawgs,

Would anybody know if the LED headlamp for the South African bikes is different to those for the parts of the world where they ride on the right hand side of the road?

The part number that I could get for the USA is 0163128526016.  Actually, all the micro fiches that I could access give this very same number.  One of the sites in the UK that have an LED headlamp listed gives the same part number but also lists another number ending in 6000 (instead of 6016).  A further site does not give the part number but specifies that it is UK spec, which makes things confusing and causes me to doubt.

Is there anybody out there who can say for certain if all the led headlamps are the same, or if they are different for the left and right driving world.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:22:24 pm by Copernicus »
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
Re: LC LED Headlamp
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:53:49 pm »
When I researched the bike before I bought her, BMW claimed the beam is symmetrical and does not require adjustment for this purpose. If you look at your beam at night, you should see it. Assuming LED, not sure about the halogen.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:31:38 pm »
I can't say for certain but I would suspect the lens is different.

In South Africa & the UK, normally the headlight shines forward and to the left, while in USA & Europe it shines forward and to the right.

Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:45:04 pm »

In South Africa & the UK, normally the headlight shines forward and to the left, while in USA & Europe it shines forward and to the right.

The lenses are definitely the same for all the LED headlamps.  There could be different reflectors (behind the light source), but I can't find any reference to it.

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:50:13 pm »
When I researched the bike before I bought her, BMW claimed the beam is symmetrical and does not require adjustment for this purpose. If you look at your beam at night, you should see it. Assuming LED, not sure about the halogen.

This is what I was also beginning to suspect and your reply more or less confirming it.

I want to import my bike when I return to SA (soon) and the headlight is the only thing that could be a potential problem for registration unless I can convince the authorities that they are the same for all the bikes.

I could not see that the beam is off to one side, neither by looking at its cast on a wall or observing it from front.  But try to convince a spietkop... ::)

Offline ethanvr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:54:08 pm »
L,

I didn't have to change anything on my Dakar when I imported it from Spain.  Think it is less of an issue with the LED head light.

Offline AntVan

LC LED Headlamp
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 08:05:06 pm »
User manual, section 4, Headlights, page 73 in mine: '...symmetric low-beam ... no measures are necessary...' 

In your manual, place a sticky here and copy for your own reference, attach another copy to bike's papers.

If you want to be sure, bring some black isolation tape and stick it in any pattern they want. Remove at first chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:08:48 pm by AntVan »
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline AntVan

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 08:07:28 pm »

Mostly true, as you said. Hence that black tape stuck over headlights. However this is not true for the LED headlights. Refer to manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 08:42:01 pm »
I could not see that the beam is off to one side, neither by looking at its cast on a wall or observing it from front.  But try to convince a spietkop... ::)

Don't think a spietkop can do anything.  They test the lighting at a test station when you go for roadworthy (if you are unlucky).
My brother had that headlight problem. Different day, different guy, same testing station and it passed.

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 10:38:07 pm »
Thank you, gentlemen.  I think I will be ok. :thumleft:

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 05:24:16 am »
Agreed - it won't be a trainsmash - just bring it in - it will pass !  :thumleft: