Limpopo Fartabout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpat

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Intro

I've been out of action with broken leg since July and it's getting on my nerves - especially as I'm sitll not able to ride over the upcoming holidays. So to keep myslef occupied, I concocted this quick mini report from a 5 day ride I've done in May around Limpopo river. No 'War and peace' this time - just a video and some photos with description.

The route took me from Midrand via DeWildt and dirt roads up to Elisras/Lephalale on day 1. On day 2, I crossed to Botswana in Zanzibar, from where I went for an exploratory loop of the tracks around  Bonobong and then moved for sleepover in the Molema Campsite in the Tuli reserve. On Day 3 I rode through Tuli reserve game viewing, crossed back to SA in Pont Drift and on Mikie's recommendation went for some more game viewing in adjacent Mapungubwe NP (where interestingly one is allowed to ride bike, at least in the main section), and ended up overnighting in a lodge in Alldays. Day 4 turned out to be great ride through the deep sand roads of northern Limpopo from Alldays to Marken where I took to the mountains crossing to Vaalwater and continuing on to Rooiberg along Waterberge and going down Bakker's pass. After sleepover in Rooiberg lodge, I have hit the dirt roads following western boundary of Borakalo NP to Jericho, where I hit the DeWildt shabeen and took the DeWildt route back to Police station and back home. The plan originally included exploring the mountains around Tzaneen - especially the mysterious Penge pass, but I got lazy and it will hav to wait for another trip.

Map of the route:

xvjTM1qokbYSL6JpkXj8ZGf64e2UTQtXcSzM8dh1mE06kkfSc0qqGD-UZegCfT5Mnvx0jTCH42OA07IlIiyP7hkzWIDX-biy-Ig1t-9yy8wah6Ak6rAz-CYczC58s1v2lLSUErAwbvuah7ijzWMpw28z4jkLqqoLuWR8kh9o5t-N0eUyu6xuIj47KqfdRFC_WO8G-XQCI1AzffGO0ik0gcbNENNcuxCmHRnslyYBx9w5PTIKiRiGb3sdilyx1b3J2vOfCshr2aITu1nJg89HdYwwWr1QnLqOfFd3yADBQha4qqAIdAlDgbh4GTAr77qF-HshbXz4fHq0dWBXs3d2LgO8jsPouG4ly4twIFAs3XWixa7dWDeCNBs-LdoLYl6HID0LwLyIGQvvH60Js25oUyhGSZCus4LJ9Wu1TOcjuiwntuRJyoPqJv3YoqWoW0ndXR0xL6q62hIdY3CUPyTepp_DLUWFILnC1PgkNQbTKaptTHEFf-JSARwPNAQ3Ug6IfW7j_MEtFHefMfk0mbUK7PEIR098cDi_c5Eqrbaaof8TpxEm0vrC8ex17OGfSGfXEe-kHcpVG4CG_tRsTKrvFV1EwMMOzmQezwqtP_2CEjAOL8Qn=w2456-h1568-no-tmp.jpg

And here is the video summary of the trip:

[flash=800,600]https://www.youtube.com/v/hc2R0oYD1Ew[/flash]​

Edit: The video doesn't seem to work on my Apple Safari browser, but seems fine in Firefox. If you have problem viewing it, you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc2R0oYD1Ew