Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My first Adventure bike - 2007 KTM 640 Adventure  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: My first Adventure bike - 2007 KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 06:52:40 am »
That first pic! Wow!

Hoe vind jy die 640?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 07:02:30 am »
Stunning pics Pierre - especially the first one !!!  :thumleft:
The older I get the faster I was

Offline JourneySA

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 02:09:49 pm »
Killer pics Pierre - where were they taken? looks like a lekker ride!

Offline BossPierreLombard

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 07:03:55 pm »
That first pic! Wow!

Hoe vind jy die 640?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im super impressed.

The bike is a beast on the more technical sections. Its like it almost comes alive :)

I drove the Xt for a bit, and felt everything on the gravel road vs almost nothing on the 640. No rattles , no shakes. 

Clearly the bike is not a road cruiser. And thats why I went for it.. offroad !

I'm well accustomed to smaller dirt bikes, so not having a clear view of where the front wheel will take some getting used to when hitting more technical stuff.

The vibrations are also almost nonexistent when I have my mx boots on.

Happy

Offline MickeyT

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 09:28:49 am »
She is not built for open roads, and if you try, she will give you a numb butt and vibrate the shait out of you, but boy, give her a hint of gravel and she'll come alive.  Better still - give her technical sections and she'll leave everyone behind!

I took my 640 to Superfoxi just after I bought her, for him to give her a good look-over.  The day I picked her up from him, I got a little too exited and high-sided on a hairpin bend, dislocated and fractured my shoulder in 3 places.

Unfortunately, the previous owners didn't look after her properly, so she spent more time with an open engine than on gravel, but no bike gets near a 640 on gravel.

Enjoy her!
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

The following users thanked this post: Flatland

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 07:51:09 pm »
Thanks for the wise words MickeyT.

I am most comfortable offroad, and new to highways.

This past weekend on the N2 up Sir Louries Pass with wind was an eye-opener and on the return journey I was way more confident.

Don't want to get over confident and see my arse. So forsure..i'll just take it easy on the black stuff

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 07:58:18 pm »
Killer pics Pierre - where were they taken? looks like a lekker ride!

I think the first one is at Karwyderskraal, off the N2.

The rest is the road behind the Honingklip 4x4 route.

Honingklip was our last stop, they serve a tasty menu and brew their own craft beer.

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 08:56:00 pm »
The day I picked her up from him, I got a little too exited and high-sided on a hairpin bend,
Nearly did the same with mine yesterday........on a dry tar road......wearing T-shirt, jeans & hiking boots, no gloves.......and I bought mine new in 2004.
Easy to underestimate and get tame if you hardly ridden it in the past year  :patch:
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 06:53:12 am »
I have a Garmin Montana 600 with a AMPS mount and anti vibration Touratech mount.

After riding this weekend its clear that I'll need this bracket:

The handle bar count won't allow for an uninterrupted view:

Where do you guys reckon I could find one?

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 06:58:43 am »
I'm sure someone can make it for you.  I would be interested as well.  I need to go to Rost Engineering early January and will check with Steve if he can help.

I lost my Garmin Quest on the 640 due to an inferior mount that couldn't handle the vibrations.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 06:44:38 pm »

Is there a trick to remove that round black rubber cover to check the light bulb?

My hands aren't tungsten and I dont want to rip it off :/:/

The rear light is not working after the last trip, and I suspect its the bulb that needs to be replaced.

Thanks

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 07:52:01 pm »
Haha!
I remember hurting my fingers doing is as well  :imaposer:
If I remember correctly you twist it a bit, like 5 or 10 degrees, but you still sukkel a bit.
Rear globes don't last long due to vibration.

I replaced mine with an LED one that I think I got from Midas.
I had to modify the reflector surround a bit though.
No trouble since then.
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline husky

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 07:49:08 am »
He he - enjoy the bike. Mine is on blocks having new water pump internals - surprisingly cheap from KTM.

Ja, that back bung is a bastid; no known method to extract  :biggrin:  But just an oil change can be a messy affair.

Massive thread on AdvRider covering just about everything (even kick starting which is surprisingly easy).  Watch that side stand - it can be fragile and work loose.  Ditto many nuts and bolts - Loctite is your friend.  Be sure to rubber mount your GPS bar otherwise it will vibrate the GPS into self switch off.  Maybe remove any emissions crap if this hasn't been done - mine hadn't been and made a small difference on removal.  Make sure all the wiring under the headlight area is well routed and protected - it is very thin and easily wears through, leaving you stranded.  Maybe weld a reinforcing bar across the bash plate in front of the screw on oil filter - a rap in the wrong spot will crack the filter.  Obviously handling with a full 20 litres of fuel is somewhat different to when it has only 5 litres in that giant tank.

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 03:29:55 pm »
Thanks Sprocketbek and husky.

Still no joy from my side :/

I.just.cant.get.it.off..

Went for a ride in some loose sand today..

Well impressed and I didn't fall over.

Next investment will be to get the Shocks setup to my style and weight.

Bike is on 30800km now, will get a full service lined up for 35000km

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 03:31:07 pm »
He he - enjoy the bike. Mine is on blocks having new water pump internals - surprisingly cheap from KTM.

Ja, that back bung is a bastid; no known method to extract  :biggrin:  But just an oil change can be a messy affair.

Massive thread on AdvRider covering just about everything (even kick starting which is surprisingly easy).  Watch that side stand - it can be fragile and work loose.  Ditto many nuts and bolts - Loctite is your friend.  Be sure to rubber mount your GPS bar otherwise it will vibrate the GPS into self switch off.  Maybe remove any emissions crap if this hasn't been done - mine hadn't been and made a small difference on removal.  Make sure all the wiring under the headlight area is well routed and protected - it is very thin and easily wears through, leaving you stranded.  Maybe weld a reinforcing bar across the bash plate in front of the screw on oil filter - a rap in the wrong spot will crack the filter.  Obviously handling with a full 20 litres of fuel is somewhat different to when it has only 5 litres in that giant tank.

I'll defiantly have these items checked on the 35k service

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 03:31:39 pm »

I'll defiantly have these items checked on the 35k service

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 05:39:16 pm »

A quick stop to KTM Cape Town and Im sorted.

Now that I know what it looks like and how simple it is to remove it, I can do so myself.

While I was there I got 2 extra bulbs and a spark plug.

And then the bolts... slowly but surely they all someday be new :) and installed with "copper anti-seize grease"

The following users thanked this post: Flatland

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 07:49:59 pm »
I thought the start of 2017 would bring with it a set of Crash Bars and a GPS mount.

Instead I dropped some $$$ on getting the suspension setup properly with my weight.

I was advised of a couple of guys around the Northern Suburbs and went with 737 Racing,  Tom, in Stellenberg.

Fork service
Shock service
Swing arm/linkage service

Both wheels needed to removed to " true and straighten" after i had new spokes put in by a different guy :/:/

Got the bike back and feels great. It was stiff, very stiff. Now there is some give and take with a minimal amount of force.

The bike is also a little lower which helps as I am 1.75.

I did a breakfast run ( all tar ) this weekend and man I cant wait to get in the dirt again.

Some WC Wilddogs did a trip to Oasis..which I has to miss due to work. Flippen worst case scenario.

I hear the Cederberg calling....

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2017, 10:15:00 pm »

Managed to get stuck today.

This bike is really awesome off the road :)

Offline evansv

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2017, 06:36:06 am »
Welcome to the dark side. The thing that impresses me the most on these bikes is the suspension.

BTW I've done 800km in a day, 50% tar - no problems.

Enjoy :thumleft:
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)