Roof 2016 Ride Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650

So much has already been said, thanks to those who have shared their stories, good or bad.

I start this ride report mostly because I want to have a designated stage to share the pictures and video
Daniel Roscher Potgieter took along with including some thoughts of my own. This year's event could have
gone a LOT smoother but I'm not going to dwell on that too long. The behavior of Lesotho's Minister of Tourism
was sad and I think it was really unfair to the Bronze riders to be given so little time to get out and do the
Time Trial on Thursday but it turns out that this was only the start. Personally my mouth still waters for the
1000 energy bars they promised that I never lay an eye on!

Most of the media I will share is compliments of Daniel. He is an very enthusiastic young medical student
and have grown a fondness for Lesotho since participating in Lesotho Sky 2015 Mountain Bike Race.
That is where we met, one year later he tagged along to support me. This time round I put my camera in
his hand and hoped for the best. Thanks to Daniel!

Roof of Africa 2016

After all the planning and preparation, the looking forward and training, the excitement and adventure,
The Roof of Africa 2016 is done. I want to say "done and dusted" but for many that wouldn't be the case.
Personally I wished the "high" could last a bit longer. The aftermath left me with pains and aches, bruises
and scabs where I rather not point out. Just turning in bed is a very uncomfortable affair.
My kit is torn and stinking dirty, my poor David kwaai verniel. Despite this the past weekend was very much worth it.
I absolutely adore the sport but as specially the people it brings together. The bikes, the people and the places we see.

This year the event left us with a bittersweet sensation. The Bronze route wasn't suitable for the class
and left many riders broken and disappointed. I'm sad to share the news of Willie-John le Hanie's (#444)
accident and subsequent passing away. We can only imagine his family's despair and sorrow.
Our thoughts and condolences goes out to those in grief.

I am torn between two when it comes to Roof 2016.

On the one side I can't help to wonder if Willie would have been spared if the Bronze riders didn't have
to do Snake Bite Pass on the Friday route. I understand the anger many of the Bronze riders had on the
day because their route was just too difficult for the average Bronze rider. One rider said that he expected
to enjoy his experience and was furious it didn't work out like that. On the route from Saturday I couldn't
believe when I saw Bronze riders on some of the trails I thought were Silver and Gold difficulty. Some of the
off-camber riding was downright dangerous with no margin for error! Having said that I felt that the Silver route
was suitable for the class, even manageable by the average Silver rider.

On the other hand there is the argument that, if you want to have a easy time and smooth ride with little
risk you should rather attend the Madalas or other rides catered for the purpose. The Roof is not called
"the mother of hard enduro" for nothing. It is supposed to be freaking ridiculous and almost impossible.
There are many soft rides out there for people to enjoy without discomfort or risk, Roof is the one that is
supposed to be a notch, or two, above the rest. I will argue that this is exactly why the event is so popular,
apart from the fact that it takes place in the spectacularly beautiful landscapes of Lesotho.

Personally I look at it like this: If I order a plain "soft twirl" ice-cream from KFC and pay for a plain one but the
lady hands me one that includes a flake it is a bonus and I'm happy for it. In such case I can't handle the flake,
well, then I just lick the ice-cream around it and call it a day… (and be sure to return the next time with more of an appetite)