Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof 2016 Ride Report  (Read 6053 times)

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Roof 2016 Ride Report
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 05:13:26 am »
Seeing that pic of the water crossing and the guy stalled in the middle always makes me wonder why so many guys do not know the quick and simple mod of rerouting and curling up the carb breather pipes (this prevents those temporary stalls, stress and frustrations restarting Ö never mind time lost).
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 07:30:17 am »
Clearly I'm one. Say more?

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 08:36:43 am »
I'm another. ;D

I would be really grateful if you could post pic or two to show the less mechanically astute of us exactly how. :deal:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 10:35:53 am »
Essentially I came across this a few years back when reading an article by Graham Jarvis on his standard bike prep.

I then did it on my son's race bikes and worked a treat. Basically the hoses on a carb are either petrol vent or air vent - the idea is to raise the level of the air vent ones so a vacuum is not caused when submerged in water. What is happening when the bike bogs is not water getting into the carb, rather petrol cannot get into the carb (is starved) without pushing displaced air out and the pressure difference is not adequate to push the water aside to let that air out. (This is a bit like putting your finger on a coke bottle straw, then pulling the straw out of the  bottle - only in reverse.) Do a simple test - put your bike on a stand and take a cup of water and hold the vents at the swing arm in the cup ... in a few seconds the engine will bog (you can also use this to test which tubes to vent). What happens in real life is the bike bogs and cuts out and you then push the bike out the water and try to start Ö eventually the carb bowl fills again and the bike starts. One has not actually drowned the bike you have starved it! That is why often the bike may want to bog but you happen to make it through Ö claiming  "I almost drowned it":) - in reality you were lucky the vent hoses were not submerged for longer and you stalled!

Some people put a t-piece in the breather pipes and route the extra breathers up under the seat etc. Does not make sense to me. What I learnt from Jarvis was simply to pull them out of the retainers and coil them and cable tie high up under the frame. On the KTM this is often the two outlets that face upward coming out the carb.

There are some pics and a description here Ö or Google is your friend (some make it sound way too complicated).
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/497546-water-crossing-carburator-tubes/

I also attach a pic of my sons bike with the two tubes coiled up under the airbox - you see one vent outlet in the photo the other is in exactly the same position on the other side of the carb (three fuel vents still vent down).  :thumleft:

Here endeth the lesson  :ricky:

PS Apologies Michiel for the hijack  - this should probably be reposted in Technical section?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:13:49 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline nobbybuster

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 11:42:50 am »
You failed to mention the cliff that we had to go down about 3km from the end, or have you managed to block that from your memory, it scared the crap out of me!
If you want to do more than just live.....play a sport that requires two big balls!

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 11:45:01 am »
Shot Dom. Will check it out.

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 09:39:06 pm »

PS Apologies Michiel for the hijack  - this should probably be reposted in Technical section?

Good mod that. Thanks for sharing and elaborating.

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 09:49:08 pm »
You failed to mention the cliff that we had to go down about 3km from the end, or have you managed to block that from your memory, it scared the crap out of me!

Yes, you are absolutely right. Describing that descent as "a cliff" sums it up. I happened to have slid down there on my bum
twice before so I knew what to expect. Seeing Gold riders actually ride their bikes down most of it gave me enough confidence
to nurse the bike down more successful than previous attempts. That is a scary section as specially when the gear lever scrapes
on the rocks and knock the bike into neutral disengaging the rear wheel and sending the bike out of control whilst dragging you with it.
Now that is a kak feeling.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:57:59 pm by Michiel »

Offline Buff

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 10:18:01 am »
Kom nou, tik boetie, ons wag in spanning  ;) ;D

Loving your report Michiel, sorry I missed seeing you there this year but it was hectic and everyone looks the same in battle gear  ::)

Your warning on doing the Roof is well advised. I went up in 2013 to determine if I'll be able to manage it and that just so happened to be the wet & extremely difficult year (mostly due to grip/mud issues). It put me off doing the Roof all together but recently the feelings of an unfinished bucket list item is returning and I'm seriously considering giving it a go in 2017.

With the Roof turning 50 next and as well as myself reaching that big milestone it seems fitting  :ricky:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Online BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 10:23:22 am »
Roof is 48 next year - two years were cancelled.

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 11:10:09 am »
Your warning on doing the Roof is well advised. I went up in 2013 to determine if I'll be able to manage it and that just so happened to be the wet & extremely difficult year (mostly due to grip/mud issues). It put me off doing the Roof all together but recently the feelings of an unfinished bucket list item is returning and I'm seriously considering giving it a go in 2017.
With the Roof turning 50 next and as well as myself reaching that big milestone it seems fitting  :ricky:

Buff, I have done the Roof 3 times already ( finished only once ) and every time directly after the Roof I always tell my wife " I will never do it again" but then just about a week later I seem to forget about the pain and wants to do it again.
With all the negative feedback about the recent Roof and with Darryl and William doing the routes next year I think the next Roof is gonna be an awesome event.
So, I will be seeing you there :thumleft:
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline edgy

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 11:16:38 am »
Im hoping to be there next year with Little Edgy :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Buff

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2016, 11:34:32 am »
Roof is 48 next year - two years were cancelled.

Talk about yanking the rug out from under someone  :laughing4: I'll have to find another source of motivation  ;)

@Losper... sounds like a solid plan  :thumleft: If I look at what my friends looked like after finishing this years event then it seriously makes me worry about my own sanity, why do we feel the need to push ourselves like that?
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 12:21:45 pm »
Come now Buff. You have the Blu Cru to sort everything. Or will the Yami stay at home  :pot:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2016, 03:07:26 pm »
Kom nou, tik boetie, ons wag in spanning  ;) ;D

He's saving it for xmas!  :bueller:

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 10:25:28 pm »
Since we are waiting for Michiel  :biggrin: here are a few pictures of that silly downhill section that was in the time trail.
To think that some gold riders actually rode down this thing standing on their pegs is just totally beyond me.
(Photos taken on a ride we did in 2014)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:26:18 pm by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 11:22:48 am »
Which downhill is that Losper, is it an unnamed pass? How far into the trial was it?
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Online BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 12:01:50 pm »
Which downhill is that Losper, is it an unnamed pass? How far into the trial was it?

Called a cliff (see above) ... and below  :imaposer:

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 12:33:51 pm »
Sithe, it is about 800m from the finish and is visible from the finish point.

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 03:45:56 pm »
Im hoping to be there next year with Little Edgy :thumleft:

Lekker!! Andries and i will be spectating so this time we can help you  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......