Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sell my 800 GSA for African Twin?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Hlouw416

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Gas Gas (all models)
Sell my 800 GSA for African Twin?
« on: December 10, 2016, 09:26:48 pm »
Is it worth it to sell my 800 GSA for the At?I have spend SOOO MUCH in extras to sort all the issues on the 800 and now I fancy the AT?I WANT AN ABSOLUTE NEAR BULKET PROOF BIKE...IT SEEMS TO BE THE AT?OLEASE,ADVUCE AND WHAT IS MIST CRUCULIAL EXTRAS!THANKS!!
The Lord is my Sheppard

Offline XRRX

Re: Sell my 800 GSA for African Twin?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:49:42 am »
I also have a GSA - very nice bike!!!
But, it will never be an AT!!!
If you can afford the AT - go for it!!!  :pot:
Just add crashbars, pannier racks, aux plug and decent tyres... off you go...  :thumleft:

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:02:51 am »
Nah. Keep the GSA. You sound like you perfected it.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:30:51 am »
If you are financially well off, follow your heart, because buying and selling new bikes always hurts you financially.

I would love an AT but don't fancy taking a loss on my Trophy and then the BMW branded rider gear that won't feel right on the AT.

The GSA is a magic bike with only two complaints I have noticed on the forums, the front wheel & the lack of baffles in the fuel tank. 

Join your local BMW club and go on organized outings with them
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:35:11 am by meurig »
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 11:21:43 am »
If you are financially well off, follow your heart, because buying and selling new bikes always hurts you financially.

I would love an AT but don't fancy taking a loss on my Trophy and then the BMW branded rider gear that won't feel right on the AT.

The GSA is a magic bike with only two complaints I have noticed on the forums, the front wheel & the lack of baffles in the fuel tank. 

Join your local BMW club and go on organized outings with them

Interesting about the tank baffles. Twin air makes fuel tank foam balls to act as baffles. Less than 1% capacity loss.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline BLK

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 11:46:06 am »
What are you hoping to gain?Might even be a step backwards.Think carefully what a 800GSA has versus the AT.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 12:19:36 pm »
If you have the money (obviously you do hence the question) my advice is yes....buy the AT. I also like the GS800 (not the fat ass GSA - sorry no pun)
Follow you heart....life is short

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Offline XRRX

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 01:20:05 pm »
Enough BMW fans here on the AT forum to defend the brand...  :peepwall:
Makes one think!  :patch:
@Tom - If a Beemer is not fat-ass it's not a Beemer!!! :snorting: :P

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 02:01:46 pm »
I'm an all brand biker, predominantly BMW over the years. I have to have more than one bike, hence my secondhand crap. At the cost of the AT I will only be able to have one bike and could not live with that thought yet.

The day I can, I'll have one without hesitation.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 02:09:18 pm »
Enough BMW fans here on the AT forum to defend the brand...  :peepwall:
Makes one think!  :patch:
@Tom - If a Beemer is not fat-ass it's not a Beemer!!! :snorting: :P

:imaposer: :imaposer: I would love to have any ....a normal Gs, a fat ass Gs or (wow  :drif: ) AT!
All of them beat my NC750X  :-[

Offline XRRX

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 02:14:23 pm »
I'm an all brand biker, predominantly BMW over the years. I have to have more than one bike, hence my secondhand crap. At the cost of the AT I will only be able to have one bike and could not live with that thought yet.

The day I can, I'll have one without hesitation.
Respect!!!  :thumleft:

@Tom again!! You're NC is will beat anything at the pumps, reliability and smoothness!!!  O0

Offline Hlouw416

• Pack Dog
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 02:25:12 pm »
Which is the most durable of the two?BMW is notorious for waterpump leaks, bearings,  suspension shortfalls and all.

Will the Honda need suspension and new Excell rims?.. does it have all the this and that of the BMW or is it bulletproof?
The Lord is my Sheppard

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 02:44:18 pm »
Which is the most durable of the two?BMW is notorious for waterpump leaks, bearings,  suspension shortfalls and all.

Surely the BMW had all that when you bought it, so why worry about the Honda having it, or not?

Follow you heart.  A bike is a toy, you must have the one you really want regardless of the badge or what the internet says.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 03:17:58 pm »

Will the Honda need suspension and new Excell rims?.. does it have all the this and that of the BMW or is it bulletproof?

The pre-2010 (or was it 2012?) GS Suspensions were the dodgy ones but it was upgraded and I think working rather well, never heard any complains after the upgrade.

Wheel bearings was also to my knowledge just the pre 2010 models and is cheap to replace with proper wheel bearings and watertight grease.
Water-pump leak I do not see as a failure, and is common symptom an many other bikes and also a straight forward fix - it normally give you a heads up by slow drip, and that is when you should get the gaskets replaced. On the 650 singles is was normally also the 'actual water-pump/impeller that had to be replaced.
Rims: Most GS800 which are actually being used off road are fitted with aftermarket Excell rims - the OEM is soft

With regards to the African Twin: It is too new to get a reliable feedback, as Honda riders (  :peepwall: ) are not keen to talk about issues or 'problems' on their bikes. It is like Honda and problem can't be used in one sentence  :imaposer: That is the honest truth. It is like hemorrhoids -  Men will never come and tell you straight they have got hemorrhoids and needs medication or treatment, but truth is that even more that one third of them will at some stage suffer in silence. Honda reliability is like a bragging factor - and yes Honda has got a good name and I have owned a couple of Honda's and currently ride one. But.....I have owned 2 x Honda's which I would love to forget about, the one was a XR600. I do not talk about that bike as it is not good for my own health, and I do not talk about my 400 Honda. I also do not like to talk about the crappy service I got from 2 different Honda dealers.

I am very much confident that if you do ride both on a good test-ride, the Honda might come in tops. It is a stunning machine and I would love to own one, in fact I think most of us would love to own one.

Offline skydiver

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 10:15:54 am »
Is it worth it to sell my 800 GSA for the At?I have spend SOOO MUCH in extras to sort all the issues on the 800 and now I fancy the AT?I WANT AN ABSOLUTE NEAR BULKET PROOF BIKE...IT SEEMS TO BE THE AT?OLEASE,ADVUCE AND WHAT IS MIST CRUCULIAL EXTRAS!THANKS!!
Sell the extras separately...at least that way you will recover some of the money
I like my F800 but....the moment an affordable 2nd hand AT is advertised, I will buy it
Sold: Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS, Yamaha XT660Z, CRF230F
Current: NC750X

Offline Bwana

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 11:51:46 am »
 I agree about Honda service but this is also dependent on the dealer to a certain extent. However for the fun factor and general ability of this bike it would hard for me to part with mine. This bike is well balanced and inspires confidence. As for reliability there is plenty info already available on long trips some done in fairly extreme conditions See ride reports and CRF 1000 site. And also google on you Tube.

Offline Brewed_Coffee

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 01:17:01 pm »
I've had 1200GSA forever and won't part ways with it.  A few months ago I added the F800GSA to my garage as a test on whether I would have more fun.  It's a really lekka bike that I enjoy a lot, BUT I joined a mate (AT owner!) for a weekend away of riding.

In my opinion the AT stole the show.  Me thinks, just between these two and taking *MY* riding into account, the AT is the better.  I'm planning the swop for February next year. 
R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 10:52:09 am »
I haven't ridden the new gen 800s but I owned a very pimped 2008 800. Rode an AT this morning. If Honda had the same service and finance as bmw there would be no contest
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Hlouw416

• Pack Dog
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 08:00:39 am »
WOW!!I ONLY HAVE 300KM ON THE CLOCK SINCE FRIDAY...WHAT A BIKE WHAT AN AMAZING BIKE!!!THE BMW 800 IS NOOO MATCH!!THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE GENTS!!!
The Lord is my Sheppard

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 08:31:36 am »
WOW!!I ONLY HAVE 300KM ON THE CLOCK SINCE FRIDAY...WHAT A BIKE WHAT AN AMAZING BIKE!!!THE BMW 800 IS NOOO MATCH!!THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE GENTS!!!

Congratulations, many many happy km.....
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia