Op die spoor van Koos en Sjert- Magaliesberg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armpie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
So it is 117 after the Battle of Magersfontein.  And the great hero was Gen de la Rey.  But from a political and military perspective my great grandfather Gert had a lot to share with the general.
So on this day I did a ride in search of the past. In search of a great general, and a proud heritage.
The ride starts early on the Sunday morning out on the Pretoria Pelindaba road.  Past the nuclear plant where my father spent his live.  The cause of the illness he died from will remain a mystery forever.  Then on the tar road to Hartbeeshoek.  Up the Leeuwenkloof. Till I reach the Skeerpoort road.  Here I turned on the dirt road, running through a kloof.  The  kloof is a hidden little gem.

Then shortly on the tar road to the heart of the Skeerpoort Village.  Here close to the old post office, at the local shop I turn on the dirt road again.  My great grand father had a farm at Siena, the current Dikololo and then one close to the village of Skeerpoort.  Here on 27 February 1901, the British collected my great mother Johanna Jocoba and her 3 children for the concentration camp in Irene.  With them was also taken the grandfather of the time Gert (previous owner of the farm Braamfontein, these days in Johannesburg.)and his wife. here name was ja, broers and sisters, Thomas Frederik Hermanus. Just to show you the men did not spend their  time idling around when on leave from the Commando, Johanna gave birth a month after she came to the camp.  They would stay in Irene Concentration Camp tents nr RT235 and RT236 before they were allowed to return to the farm in August 1902
I took the road west and ride up the moot valley.  On the one side of the road is a horse stud.  About 100 horses grazed on the short green grass.  Much like the horses of a commando.
The road take me closer to the mountain and even here in the Magalies innovation is  with us.  Wind electicity has also come here.  Not far from there is the vulture feeding ground.  Vultures are scared about cables and stuff.  But that is how it goes.
It rained the previous night and at a few places the road is fairly muddy.  I came across two other adventure bikers next to the road chatting.  I stopped but they were not interested in my companionship or converasation.  I think they were selling drugs. 8)