DR 200 Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmac

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi Gents

I have recently purchased an '09 DR200SE and it has a few niggles.  I need some advice please!!
I am quite likely going to sell the bike as it it just doesnt work for me.  I was hoping to ride something bulletproof and have a bit of fun offroad with it every now and again but yesterday I fitted some Michelin T63's and could ride it offroad for the first time and the suspension just didnt work for me at all.  No power is no problem as you can just keep it wide open all the time but the suspension was limiting (i grew up riding motocross and offroads).

So the issue i need advice with is the base gasket which is leaking a bit of oil.  It didnt leak when i test rode it but does quite badly when the engine gets hot.  I dont want to over capitalise on the bike, considering i want to sell it (i have already fixed it up quite nicely cosmetically which cost a bit) so heres the question.  I want to fix it myself so is it possible for me to remove the head with the motor in the frame by loosening the bolts, lifting it up so that the bottom of the piston is exposed, leave it in the sleeve so that i dont battle with rings, disconnect piston, remove head and replace gasket?  I am no mechanic but Im not scared to take it on.  What i described sounds good in my head but i have no idea of the timing chain issues etc that may come up??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have to fix it before i sell it so that i can sleep at night! 

Looks like im going to lose money on this one!!

I will attach some pictures of what it looks like when i first bought it and now!  i will also add a pic of the leaking gasket.

many thanks