Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 610 Restorations and Rebuilds  (Read 5402 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:42:12 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Straatkat

Re: 610 Restorations and Rebuilds
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »
So after 22000 some very hard offroad km's, including around 4 Swazi hardcore rides, drowning it in Botswana and some spectacular spills over the 5 years I had the pleasure of swinging a leg over my Cricket ( fondly named by Danakil, after I gutted the std exhaust and it became rather loud) the time has come to do some rebuilding and put some new bits on my favourite bike. The rear suspension needs attentionand so does a myriad of other things. My first bike project in my newly built bikeshop. It is heaven to be able to work on the bike and close the door and when I get there tomorrow everything is exactly as I left it.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:57:20 pm »
I suppose the depth of the restoration will depend on the clicks on the cct,whether I have to pull the motor and fit a new cam chain.
It sits on 6 clicks, I seem to remember that 8-10 clicks is the limit. What say you guys? New chain or do I still have some way to go?
18 till I die.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:42:28 pm »
8 to 10 and a bit of noise if I remember correctly.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:12:03 pm »
Lekker Bertie! Ek hou dop hier!

Sit jy 'n ander headlight fairing op?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 03:07:06 pm »
Henk ek het lank terug die een ontwerp en gebou uit veselglas, maar my idees het intussen bietjie verander en ek wil hom bietjie kleiner maak. Wil ook die ligte aan die fiets vasmaak en die fairing net daaroor vasmaak.
18 till I die.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 04:13:26 pm »
Henk ek het lank terug die een ontwerp en gebou uit veselglas, maar my idees het intussen bietjie verander en ek wil hom bietjie kleiner maak. Wil ook die ligte aan die fiets vasmaak en die fairing net daaroor vasmaak.
Is jy nog reg vir Lesotho?

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:56:33 pm »
Jip, het 3 weke om my Husky reg te kry vir die trippie. Harde werk wat voorle.
18 till I die.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:13:05 pm »
Jip, het 3 weke om my Husky reg te kry vir die trippie. Harde werk wat voorle.
Vordering met die agter suspensie?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 07:40:01 pm »
 The last few days I intermittently stripped all the back suspension out and removed all the bearings, mostly needle rollers and thin oil seals, and today was one of those go into town and do as much as possible days.
It started by going to EMD where I have been talking to Attie about the bearing sets for the rear suspension, he ordered what he could and guessed a fair bit, but I got 2 sets of Pivot Works bearing collections, the one for the tri-link and dogbone links and another for the swingarm bearings, along with all the pins and seals, and even the rose joint on the tri-link.
Kykdaar warned me about getting the circlips out of this joint, tonight will be round one, me and the circlip, hope I win by a knockout!

Will also be replacing the bearings and seals in my wheels, new sprockets and chain, new Motobatt battery, new grips, new clutch and brake levers.

Just to help future dogs wanting to rebuild the swingarm on their TE610's here are the part numbers for the Pivot Works bearing sets:
Swingarm: PWSAK-HQ03-001
Linkage kit:PWLK-HQ06-000
And while we are at it, the bearings and seals required for the wheels:
Front Bearings: 2x)6905 2RS
Front Seals:32/42/7 and 28/50/5
Rear Bearings: 2x) 6005 2RS, 63005 2RS
Rear Seals: 2x)32/47/7

Oil Filter, HifloFiltro 563
Laser Iridium Plug: NGK CR8EIB-10
Brake Pads:
Front: Tusk TA 208
Rear: Tusk TA 181R
18 till I die.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 07:49:00 pm »
I have done all the seals and bearings on the swing arm, linkages and wheels and posted on them here and Cafe Husky with the Pivot Works (swing arm) and All Balls (linkage kit) part numbers etc. I have also documented the options of better seals, extra grease nipple etc.for longevity. If I remember correctly I brought this to Kykdaar's attention and this is also where he picked up on my solution of drilling to get the circlips out with a pick. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:59:35 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 08:45:38 pm »
I seem to remember some-one griping about the fact that there is only one grease nipple on the tri-link, but there is actually a transfer hole between the 2 large bearings on the tri-link, that will transfer grease to the other bearing. I also got some waterproof grease to pack them with for what it is worth.
BD, sorry for reposting the info, I just had all the numbers etc at hand and thought I will post it as a reference if anybody needs it. More info is good. If it helps some-one here I will be happy. I did chat with Kykdaar and he gave me the All Balls numbers, but I could not get that make from my supplier.
As for the circlip, one needs to get under it otherwise it will never come out, I was going to Dremel a small cavity so one can get a pick under it. Also made a little bent tool from hardened silversteel so that the minute it comes out the groove even just a little, I will climb under it and voila, I have a knockout!
18 till I die.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
One thing to note, one of the bushings is a little too long and has to be turned down, probably with a TC tool as they are very hard.
Dropped my seat off at Leatherman'd in Silverton with instructions to recover it with a grippy textured vinyl on top and smooth sides. Thought about going the suede route, but the suede on my SE is fading a little and I see it is going to start looking a little tatty in time. Anyway if he widens the seat and makes it more comfortable it will be first prize.
18 till I die.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 10:12:17 pm »
Glad you came right B :thumleft:

Those circlips are a bitch ;D

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 11:05:03 pm »
Glad you came right B :thumleft:

Those circlips are a bitch ;D

Always good to have alternate part numbers at hand. Ja the trick of drilling a small hole is the answer for those clips :thumleft:  If I remember correctly the idea for the grease nipple was for the swing arm - was awhile ago I did mine. It is a great feeling of both satisfaction and peace of mind when all these bearings are renewed. BTW Game Services are the importers and distributers of Pivot Works kits.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:09:54 pm by BiG DoM »

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 01:08:10 pm »
I took the opportunity of taking my exhaust off and welding plugs in the low spots to drain water if I ever drown the bike again. Even standing the bike on its back wheel does not drain all the water out because of the way the header pipes curve. Maybe I will never need it again, but its  about piece of mind. I never want a repeat of that night in the Botswana pans struggling to start my bike and not knowing if I will be able to ride it out.
18 till I die.

Online Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 02:10:41 pm »
 :happy1:

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 02:41:46 pm »
Now about 3000 kms ago I changed my wheel bearings and noticed that the flanges on either side of the hub at the back was badly scored, and as these flanges are the only defense against muddy water getting into the wheel bearings, I went to the effort of turning new ones from 6061 Ally. Guess what, they are stuffed again!!. This time I am going to turn some stainless sleeves and press them over  the turned down ally part. Hopefully I will get more than 3000km out of them stainless sleeves. It just goes to show how much abuse we put these bikes through. Note to self: next time carry bike through water crossings...not.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:03:33 pm by Straatkat »
18 till I die.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 09:02:09 pm »
Assembled my rear suspension today, all new bearings and pins, had to turn some special tools to install the needle rollers and the seals, but it all went together like clockwork, stuffed with some Bel Ray waterproof grease. I suppose I need to get a small dedicated grease gun for the Bel Ray, so that I can grease these links every now and then. Now for rebuilding the wheels with new bearings and seals.
18 till I die.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 09:02:21 am »
Yes I remember being inventive with a big vice and a series of sockets to press some of the bearings in.  :thumleft: