Leo, the lowveld and good riding mates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Some  time ago I was visiting Groenie while having my KLR services/repaired/modified and whatever else could be done to make it faster and lighter on fuel and ultimately more comfy. Nope, nothing can be done to make it more reliable, OK, maybe the doo, which was incidentally also done.
This took the best part of the Saturday and late afternoon we contemplated our next course of action when someone mentioned that we should braai to end the day. While doing the braai thing and having a few sharpies, Kobus suggested we do a bike trip and within minutes the broad plan was finalized and all who wanted to had permission from their SWMBO’s to join on the trip and the world couldn’t be a beter place. The date was set for the weekend 16 – 18 December.
Before one could say “doo”, it was Friday morning 16/12 and I had to pack to get going. I am a firm believer that if one starts packing days in advance you pack unnecessary shit, so I leave it till the last minute and pack the bare necessities.  Finally I sat on the bike, put on my gloves and hit the happy button. A single crank followed by a load kerrrrrrrrrr indicated that the battery had called it the day. Helmet off, earplugs out and a quick jolt down the road to try and bump start it. 5 Attempts later, now sweating profusely, I was cursing Rosie like no one else could. Oh well, jacket off, unpack, panels off and finally get to the battery.  Oh yes, notify the mate I’m gonna be late. Eventually got her going, kept her idling while securing panels and repacking before finally departing.

If you’re ever had to jumpstart, you’ll know the sight

IMG_5686_zpsfl4ulsmn.jpg

Eventually met up with the rest of the boyz and Groenie’s first words to me: “Welcome to the KLR Clan” upon hearing my misfortunes with the effing battery.
Jip it seems these KLR’s like alot of TLC. Well we hit the road and soon we were standing on the banks of the Wilger river on the Zusterstroom road. Groenie can max 1 hour per beer, so needles to say we cracked our first one right there and then.

Nice Zusterstroom road

IMG_5690_zps54dzkpxe.jpg

Thanks Groenie, it was nice. Our next stop was the renowned biltong shop at Loskop where we enjoyed a moerofanice boerewors roll swallowed down by some cold ones. From here we headed for Dullstroom. The dirt just after Stoffberg was snotty slippery and our progressed was rather slow. Pat on his heavy 1150 Adv. with Anakee super slip non-grip tyres made the most of the recent land grabs and got himself a prime pièce of real estate,  Fortunately no damage to bike or body, just a bruised ego.

The man, The KLR Legend from KLR Central

Groenie_zpscsaclguy.jpg

Soon we were sitting in the infamous Dullstroom hotel while sipping another cold one. This seemed to be the only place in town the tourists have not yet discovered. The rest of town looked like Walletjie street in Amsterdam during high testosterone season.

Faithful workhorse

IMG_5693_zps7r9kqq2a.jpg

Dullstroom Hotel

IMG_5697_zpsdwsknvw3.jpg

From here we hit the tar over Longtom Pass till Misty mountain Lodge, situated not far from the canon. Here we hooked a sharp left and headed down into the woods on one of those notorious bosbou paadjies. Groenie managed to hit a Bushbuck by some or other means, but only a light bump so no animals were harmed in the process. As we reached the flat section of the road, Kobus and I stopped to take a few selfies amongst the trees as the area was really beautiful. It became clear that something was not right as Groenie and Pat had not appeared after quite a while. We headed back into the slopes and soon came upon a sad sight. The original Groenie had somehow sprung a short and in the ensuing sparks and flames, Groenie, the person, almost cooked his nuts while Groenie, the bike, was badly damaged. That bike was going nowhere in a hurry.

Groenie sorting arrangements to collect groenie

Groenie%2002_zpsdrh66gvt.jpg

Not Nice

IMG_5701_zps33jcyv5a.jpg

Destroyed Seat pan

IMG_5702_zpsd9lxki7r.jpg

We were meant to sleep in Pilgrims, so the idea was to get man and bike there so his missus could come and fetch him. Pat was volunteered to tow him as the beemer was stronger than the rest of us put together.
Well, I know what happens on the trip stays on the trip but let me just say an 1150 can tow a KLR faster through the twisties than another KLR can keep up.

Making plans

Leon%2002_zpsjq99otaq.jpg

Getting Groenie to Pilgrims – fast

IMG_5705_zps3gba6w31.jpg

In Pilgrims we headed for The Vine, a nice quaint little pub right at the bottom of Lower Pilgrims where Oom Johnny and his wife makes a living out of serving drinks and splendid food. A few sharpies later and we headed to our house which was rented to us by the local authorities for the pricey some of R400 for the night. Meanwhile Pat’s son and son-in-law joined from Whiteriver, so after having a samp and oxtail dinner we headed to our home to drink till death do us part. Groenie was having rum, and promptly switched over to brandy. Well fun was had by all amidst the pouring rain.

The view from our house in Pilgrims

IMG_5718_zpsogjubrg9.jpg

The graveyard in Pilgrims. Where everyone else was buries East/West this robber was buried north/south

IMG_5714_zpst0bdk8ig.jpg

Songololo threesome in the cemetery

IMG_5717_zpseibjdec4.jpg

For someone Friday night in Pilgrims went pear-shaped

IMG_5719_zpsztbzd7ao.jpg

Saturday, after a hearty breakfast at The Vine we headed off leaving Groenie behind with the distinct desire to have a sharpie while waiting for his missus. We headed off towards Bosbokrand but turned off about 20 km’s past Graskop on a slippery dirt road heading in a northerly direction. From here the going was somewhat technical with the odd mud patch and a river to contain with.

The road to Mariepskop

IMG_5723_zpsopzn3xke.jpg

Awesome scenery

IMG_5724_zps2pvg6wrr.jpg

On the lower slopes of Mariepskop the road was completely washed away from the good rain which must have fallen in the past 24 hours. A quick recce upstream revealed a place where we could possibly cross, but Pat opted to turn around as the Anakees were offering no grip what so ever. Kobus and I managed to cross the river and arranged to meet Pat at the Mariepskop View campsite where we wanted to stay that night.

Ontop of Mariepskop

IMG_5726_zpswp29rhvd.jpg

Your’s truly checking out the scenery

IMG_5736_zpsprk5si6p.jpg

If you’re never been there, get there – someday

IMG_5731_zpsno1itddv.jpg

More Mariepskop

IMG_5729_zps9ootifsl.jpg

Mariepskop is a very high peak that overlooks the Klaserie and on a clear day one can supposedly see all the way to Mozambique. Well it was overcast and misty but the occasional view was well worth the effort. While enjoying this Pat called to announce that he was also ontop of Mariepskop. He had somehow managed to find another road and had made his way to the top.
It was mid-afternoon and the hunger bugs were shouting so we called the young lads who had ridden to Hoedspruit to get our meat and stuff to determine if there was a restaurant in Hoedspruit worth visiting. Later that afternoon we sat at the Sleepers Restaurant in Hoedspruit having a Baconator burger which will satisfy the most particular of clients.

Camping at the Mariepskop View Campsite

IMG_5737_zpsn9egjgo9.jpg

Yes, you have a view of Mariepskop

IMG_5738_zpsg7ggmzwd.jpg

From here we headed for Mariepskop view campsite where we set up camp and prepared for the evenings braai. It had been a tough two days and a quick afternoon nap was on the order of the day. I took out Rosie’s battery as it was giving more and more trouble after working faultlessly the rest of Friday. Water was good, so no real other remedies so re assembled and park the bike on a down slope.
Entertainment that evening was supplied by two young girls that Pat Jr. invited over as they had meat but no fire. The one was from Spain and the other an Austrian who didn’t even know what KTM was.
Sunday morning Pat and the boys left for Whiteriver while Kobus and I headed for Lakgalameetske game reserve with the Orrie Baragwanath pass. The 1150 had oil seeping from both fork guides as well as the engine and there was no need to risk anything.

Lakgalameetske Game reserve

IMG_5746_zpssyfkuhwk.jpg

More

IMG_5745_zpsqv7fz7lj.jpg

Kobus and I managed to make it to the entrance gate in good time, but only after he had to push start me once again. We had to pay R50 per person and R 30 per bike to enter – really pissed me off as I had never paid on my previous visits to the reserve. We rode some of the most slippery sections I had ever done, but the surrounding scenery made up for every aspect of the treacherous conditions. At the western entrance I checked with the guard on duty and sure as hell, no entry fees for bikes. When we finally stopped in the valley below, we could both feel that we had a serious workout. Personally I prefer going up on these heavy technical sections, but I guess going down was not that bad either. From here we pinned the throttles to ride past Groblersdal, Verena and eventually said our goodbyes in Cullinan. From here it was fastest way home to arrive safely around 4pm.

Orrie Baragwanath Pass. Don’t ride it with a babelaas – you will not enjoy

IMG_5748_zpsephy8fdj.jpg

Not for the faint hearted

IMG_5749_zpsgzahf93b.jpg

Sweating it all out

IMG_5750_zpshxy47rpk.jpg

We had done 3 days of fairly technical riding, complicated by the rain that fallen before our passing, but I certainly had a blast.
Thanks to all the maats who joined. All the young lads who pushed Rosie to a start every time her battery quit. Thanks for all the twakpraat and laughter.
Thanks to all the photographers.
Groenie, good luck with that green monster. Hope it’s on the road in no time and that it’s not the end of an era.
Thanks to the Almighty for keeping us safe.