Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: ..the Xchallenge...  (Read 1119 times)

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
..the Xchallenge...
« on: July 18, 2008, 09:18:22 am »
I need to know. Would a 1.7m kortgat be able to ride the Xchallenge? If not, how can it be lowered and by how much? I know you can get the seat re-upholstered or fit the Xmoto seat, but can you also lower the suspension without damaging it? Would it even be necessary after changing the seat?
Don't waste any more time.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
Re: ..the Xchallenge...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:18:19 pm »
Does nobody here know?

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

bobnob

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:19:46 pm »
if jacko is tall enough for a hp2 then a garden gnome can ride a xchallenge  >:D

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:24:42 pm »
I am 1.79 on HP2, piece of piss once you learn not to stop anymore  :biggrin:

Seriously a week on the bike and you won't notice the difference. I can only get one foot on the ground and not flat, been doing this for years and all my falls was inflicted by something else never the fact that I can't reach the ground  8)

Just went looking for this photo of legendary dakar rider Gaston Rahier, he is very short and certainly proved you don't need long legs to get anywhere

When he went onto Suzuki

Go on you know you want one  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:29:32 pm by Maverick »
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:29:21 pm »

So, you're taller than me and the HP2's seat height is lower than that of the Xchallenge. Now, my name is not Gaston Rahier and I'm sure he had some special skills otherwise he wouldn't have been a factory rally rider. Still doesn't answer my question satisfactorily enough and I'm not keen on tipping over a dealer's demo bike at a traffic light in order to find out if I'll manage. Oh conundrum. How tall is Jacko?

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

bobnob

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:35:48 pm »
How tall is Jacko?

whats the average height of a std 3 school girl  ???

just joking jacko my old buddy  :thumleft:

go to a dealer and sit on the bike - that will tell you quick weather to even bother with a test ride or not

also have a look at the drz 400 - very awesome bike and a better buy in my eyes - lots of farkles available etc

Dustbusta

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:34:54 pm »
I need to know. Would a 1.7m kortgat be able to ride the Xchallenge? If not, how can it be lowered and by how much? I know you can get the seat re-upholstered or fit the Xmoto seat, but can you also lower the suspension without damaging it? Would it even be necessary after changing the seat?

This is a question only you will be able to answer. You should pop in at a BMW dealer and ask to sit on a XChallenge that has the shock pumped to accomodate your weight, i.e. correct sag height. You could get the lower seat option or just get an auto trimmer to cut some of the seat foam away and re attach the seat cover. Check out the very long thread on www.advrider.com in thumpers for tons of info on the bike. Best thing about the XC is an Austrian built Rotax motor, thousands of F650 GS/Dakar owners will attest to the reliability of the motor.

I have the HP2 as well and depending on the shock pressure the XC is the taller of the two. Denver Biggs at Auto Alpina rides a XC and he is shorter than you!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:37:48 pm by Dustbusta »

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 02:52:41 pm »
This is a question only you will be able to answer. You should pop in at a BMW dealer and ask to sit on a XChallenge that has the shock pumped to accomodate your weight, i.e. correct sag height. You could get the lower seat option or just get an auto trimmer to cut some of the seat foam away and re attach the seat cover. Check out the very long thread on www.advrider.com in thumpers for tons of info on the bike. Best thing about the XC is an Austrian built Rotax motor, thousands of F650 GS/Dakar owners will attest to the reliability of the motor.

I have the HP2 as well and depending on the shock pressure the XC is the taller of the two. Denver Biggs at Auto Alpina rides a XC and he is shorter than you!

Thanks for the advice. It's your advert that started me asking questions by the way. Where is this Auto Alpina and what is their contact details? I need to speak with Denver.

[EDIT] Also, what's your name? I'd like to be able to tell Denver who pointed me his way. [/EDIT]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:54:11 pm by malJohann »

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Dustbusta

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:10:57 pm »
Never bought the bike at Auto Alpina. However they are in Boksburg, he was on one at last years GS Challenge, as was another chap about your height, Shane, from the dealership in 4Ways, also Rob from BM Lyndhurst, all around your height and quite happy on the bike.

You do not have to peddle the bike, feet on the pegs and open it up. :deal: Well balanced.

Have a look around, I will put money on the fact that you will not get a better deal than my bike anywhere in SA. Nothing needs doing except remove the bar risers for yourself, PM me if you need more info on the bike or more photo's. New price is 74K add all of my mods for another 14K. Walk out of the door and loose 20% That's 88K, MY PRICE 60k! 5000km's on the clock.

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 03:42:57 pm »
Never bought the bike at Auto Alpina. However they are in Boksburg, he was on one at last years GS Challenge, as was another chap about your height, Shane, from the dealership in 4Ways, also Rob from BM Lyndhurst, all around your height and quite happy on the bike.

That's really good news, because the Xchallenge has grown on me.

Have a look around, I will put money on the fact that you will not get a better deal than my bike anywhere in SA. Nothing needs doing except remove the bar risers for yourself, PM me if you need more info on the bike or more photo's. New price is 74K add all of my mods for another 14K. Walk out of the door and loose 20% That's 88K, MY PRICE 60k! 5000km's on the clock.

[Jeff_Dunham] I knooow. [/Jeff_Dunham] Just need to get the :rendeer:.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 04:55:09 pm »
I'm a FULL 1.72m tall, FFS!

Mind you Bobnob, the way kids are growing nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if the average std. 3 girl is also this tall...  ???
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 05:56:22 pm »

So, you're taller than me and the HP2's seat height is lower than that of the Xchallenge. Now, my name is not Gaston Rahier and I'm sure he had some special skills otherwise he wouldn't have been a factory rally rider. Still doesn't answer my question satisfactorily enough and I'm not keen on tipping over a dealer's demo bike at a traffic light in order to find out if I'll manage. Oh conundrum. How tall is Jacko?

Hey what's a few cm's  ;D I do pump the suspension up a fair bit which makes the bike taller than it should be. You are suppose to use the spirit level and pump it up according to your weight but found this to be a little bit to soft for me. The xchallenge is taller but again unless you have vertigo think you should be ok once you used to it. Alternative is to eat more gain a couple of pounds and sit the bike to the ground  :biggrin:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 06:13:45 pm »

Hey what's a few cm's  ;D I do pump the suspension up a fair bit which makes the bike taller than it should be. You are suppose to use the spirit level and pump it up according to your weight but found this to be a little bit to soft for me. The xchallenge is taller but again unless you have vertigo think you should be ok once you used to it. Alternative is to eat more gain a couple of pounds and sit the bike to the ground  :biggrin:

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 08:28:15 am »
Went to Auto Alpina yesterday afternoon to check it out. Yes, the bike is high, but as soon as I lifted it off its side stand it already lowered a bit. I swung a leg and was promptly able to half-foot both sides, then the salesman points out that the bubble should be in the middle. I go on tip-toes both sides and the bubble levels out.

So, I'll be able to ride it on tar even with the standard seat! When I stop at a traffic light it's always neutral, flat-foot on the left with the right on the peg and back brake. I'll definitely be able to do this on the Xchallenge, and although off-road will surely be a little more difficult (especially in mud), I'm just going to learn how to make due.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 08:45:59 am »
Ryder Motorrad have some demo's available at a good price.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Hidalgo

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 08:47:13 am »
Hi Johan

Im 1.65 m tall -  :imaposer:

On my dakar Im always on tippy toes and I use the Dak for commuting and long trips and have never had a problem.

Yes riding technical stuff could be a bit harder but then again the X has very little that can be damaged when it falls over  :lamer:

Get it  :ricky:

Difference between cars and bikes - Driving in your car is like watching a movie, riding your bike is like starring in the movie.

BMW R1200 GS Rallye

Offline Slide

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 09:19:10 am »
Hey M-J!

KOOP DIE DING! Ek het myne in Nov laas jaar gekoop. Smile nogsteeds. Ja ek is langer, en ja jy sal dalk bietjie sukkel in die erg technical goed maar dis ok.

Ek het al hard neergemoer met myne - baie! Niks gebreek nie.

'n Paar tips: Kry rubber kraan washers en sit dit tussen die subframe en die binneste modderskerm sodat die modderskerm flap nie teen die air shock se bellows skuur nie.

Kry Cycra handguards. Hulle is moer sterk (bietjie duur) en het my al duisende gespaar in levers.

Kry n Hyde bashplate. Kos so R600, maar die die moeite werd want die standaard een het nie regtig beskerming vir die enjin covers nie.

Gooi die standaard pyp uit en kry n Leo Vince. Maak n moerse verskil.

Michelin Deserts is in my ondervinding die beste vir die bike - as jy so nou en dan serious off road gaan ry

Moenie jou steur aan daai bubble nie - dis n klug. Pomp hom tot jy voel hys reg vir jou. So 7.5 bar behoort genoeg te wees, en los hom op die soft setting.  Pasop net dat jy nie te veel lug uitlaat nie. As jy net aan die valve raak is daar n bar uit die shock. Jy wil nie die ding pomp met daai ou handpompie van 0 af nie. Die lug by die petrol pompe se druk is ook nie genoeg nie. As hy regtig te leeg is - 4 bar of minder - vat hom Tiger Wheel toe en vra hulle om n gauge op hulle lift se lug lyn te sit. Hulle kan tot 9 Bar gaan.

As jy enigiets wil weet skree net.

Ettiene

"I was on the throttle, and I was in front - no problem." - Wayne Rainey