Solo'ish Lesotho trip Dec 16 to 18

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oubones

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Somewhere around Aug/Sept Bones mentioned something about 16 Dec and Clarens and I said yes!
As things never works out as planned, It didn't!
His bike broke and he started work!
So I left on my own!
Very serious and well planned trip!
Bike checked in the few days before and a roadkill custom luggage system fitted!
A crate that was picked up on our road after it fell of a bakkie, cable ties and my "slagtoue" to ensure it goes nowhere!
Pot,stove,tent etc etc etc all in and cargo net over and I am ready!
Early Friday morning I am off and she handled well with!
Just one hiccup, money that was supposed to be in, Nada!
But worked out I had enough and left the world of cellphone signals.
Sani was a breeze and thought breakfast could work!
Ah an Africa twin in the parking and no maluti's!
No photo's as it was just mist!
Africa twin belongs to a lekka friend that I had not met until then!
Me and Rudolf decided to ride together as it was our first time into Lesotho!
Mist!
I could just see his taillight and he was only 10 or so meters ahead of me!
A very long slow trip ahead!
Voila, not even 5 km further and beautiful sunshine!
Chinese tar all the way!
Man, bends and bends!
Chow at Afriski and onward we went! You would think that we were life long riding buddies as our riding styles were so similar!
He wanted to go over monontsa pass as he was on his way to Mahai!
Luckily we decided to go to Butha-Buthe for fuel! As it was getting late we opted another time for Monontsa and went out Caledonspoort! Rain looming and we exchanged contact details and greeted and then we twisted the ears a bit to try and get to our destinations before getting wet! Not to be! It came down! 140+ became 40 very quickly and just as I was thinking it was really stupid not to have put my raingear on, it fell to a cool drizzle!
Lekka! Now I was thirsty and due to my impeccable accurately planned itenary, I had not decided yet as to where I was going to sleep! Not even Golden gate or Clarens!
Clarens seemed to be the closest place for a cold one!
Bones had told me that the Clamp her down guys were there, I decided to give Mark a call and chill a bit with them till I was dry and maybe they had info on camping!
GOOD idea!
I had turned at the backpackers when I came in before I went to the botteltjie winkel! I did not see Tommy transalp and he did not see me! Phew! I met guys at Katse the next evening and they suffered all the way there due to visiting with old Tommy and friends!
Mark and them were at the brewery( no surprise) and I got dubbed Chatsworth with my old scruffy bike and fancy luggage system!
Mark, not Hamilton, Totty was very impressed with my led lightning strips on my hand guards  :ricky: :pot:
I showed them my wet lower legs and Totty felt my leg! :patch: Very worrying!
Mark decided that he is the gentleman that he always is and offered me the couch!
Then we had some trying the sights ( beers) in Clarens and after chow we were off to bed!
I slept like a log and in the morning after coffee off I went!
Thanks you guys were amazing!
Day 2 to follow!
Some pics!
Me and Rudolf on the way!
Mark in Clarens
For Totty! I think I must sell them to KTM!
:pot: Fit a pair to his bike one night!

Attachments

• IMG-20161223-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20161223-WA0000.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG-20161223-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20161223-WA0002.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG-20161223-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20161223-WA0020.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 657