On Board Air - fitting under tank air compressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiG DoM

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Ok - so on my old HP2 I did this mod and have missed it on my replacement EishPeeTwee. Before our recent Lesotho Roof trip I got out the pump I have had for months bought for this mod and decided to go for it! Below are some pics shot with iPhone and I will give brief description - shout if you want more detail.  :thumleft:

1) Remove fuel tank and air intake snorkel.
2) Identify the space for the air pump compressor - just forward and inboard of the air box. It is identified by a triangular black plate (please note that the loom wiring is cable tied to this plate and is cut free … ALERT! … I discovered that the wiring loom had rubbed through on this steel plate due to vibration and I caught it just in time!! See in photo where the wires have grooved the plate  :eek7: Cable tie loom away to the side.
3) Remove the triangular plate as it is used to re-attach the fixing baseplate for the pump.
4) I used a very good pump available from Bikegear that fits perfectly. https://bikegear.co.za/product-category/browse-by-accessories/touring-accessories/air-compressor/
5) Make up a baseplate that will accommodate the feet of the pump - I used some aluminium channelling I had and made a cardboard template first. Add an extra tang/tab as in pic that will be drilled and give extra support on the near end. There is a convenient threaded hole that happens to be perfectly situated.
6) Check positioning of baseplate on the triangular under plate and rivet in position.
7) Carefully check positioning of pump to clear petrol tank and mark on baseplate - I drilled holes and riveted the feet of pump in place (on previous bike I secured it with a large hose clamp - may be easier to adjust).
8) Wire power directly to battery with inline fuse and switch.
9) Remove standard outlet hose fitting and reroute a direct hose to a female compressor coupling. I positioned mine where the OEM aux power socket is and moved the socket inboard (it is through the canbus anyway and most often trips it - better to fit one direct to battery imo). I also fitted a waterproof switch here. I have used a slinky hose with male compressor fitting and gauge attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4668.JPG
    IMG_4668.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_4669.JPG
    IMG_4669.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_4675.JPG
    IMG_4675.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_4671.JPG
    IMG_4671.JPG