Maiden short dirt ride exploring Johannesburg East

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinusBez

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
I’m not sure whether this qualifies as a ride report but here it goes.

Me: Honey, will you drop me off at KTM Springs tomorrow (this was 23 December)
Honey: Why
Me: Well you know when you said I could get a bike. Ummm…I sorta got one and must go pick it up.
Honey: I can see 1000 thoughts emotions and everything in between going through my wife’s head and I know she’s mostly, and rightfully so, worried about finances. This is taken care of and won't do anything impulsive if we're (family) is not taken care of.

Interjection – I received an interim increase a couple of months ago and although I won’t retire in 5 years, it is making life a lot more comfortable.

The following day she drops me off and get many speeches all along the 25-minute drive to Springs. Not even my mom gave me such a speech when my dad bought me two DT 50’s (cousins in PE bikes) I think I was 13 or 14 at the time and think my dad bought it for R 400 for both.

Right so I collect my baby and can’t wait to hit some dirt.

Now the reason for buying this bike is important, see I want to spend time with my dad, a lot of time (read into this, I can’t really write about it and no he does not have Ebola). He’s a fitness nut and my current fitness status, crazy work schedule, family and studies do not allow me to spend 3-4 hours a day training. So the next thing is since he’s into adventure riding, this is a great way to spend time building memories by riding together, braaiing marshmallows and singing kumbaya next to open fires (we probably wouldn’t sing kumbaya but you get the drift of it). I also intend on taking my family with me, perhaps not to all the remote places planned but they’ll be close by, I can’t neglect them, swambo will divorce me before all of this started.

Anyway, I’ve been burning to get on the dirt and after searching google earth I finally found some dirt that looked ok. Straight uneventful is what google earth suggested…very wrong, other than the straight part.

My route planned like so:

Capture_zpsklgvkmsp.jpg

I travel down Trichards road until I hit the “40th”, or so it’s called in Garmin’s Basecamp map (at the top of the map) put my bike in “offroad” mode and get ready for some conservative off-road riding. I haven’t been on dirt in several years', my last experience being on my second bike DT 180 traversing the dirt roads around the Apies river when we still lived in Pretoria and I was a snot nosed teenager.

But there’s a smell