Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Specific places to visit on Cape to Cairo Route  (Read 1463 times)

Offline sweetrolls

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Specific places to visit on Cape to Cairo Route
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:02:20 am »
Good day everyone,

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts on my question.

I have started to compile a list of thing/places to see/do in the countries i intend to visit along the way.

Would you care to share you recommendations of things to do/see as i go along?

Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt.

Out of all places on the list, i've been through Egypt pretty deeply, but would very much like suggestions in any case.

Thank you all in advance.

Offline Camino Cerdo

Re: Specific places to visit on Cape to Cairo Route
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:27:27 am »

Way too many to list in one sitting so I will just list one of my favorites, Zanzibar.  This island was an amazing place to wander around. But--- do not take your bike, the cost and trouble of getting it mine there and back was an adventure in itself. You can rent a scooter there for much less than getting yours in. Best to spend a night at a better hotel and talk them into letting you keep your bike there for a few days. Zanzibar is part of Kenya, but they forgot to tell them, so cost and time to get it in is high plus you can not take bike on same ferry as people, (seems they had a problem of overloading cargo ferry with people and lost two in one year, 1200 died).  Zanzibar was an amazing place with wonderful people, don't miss it.
RT
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:07:34 am »
CC, I think you will find that Zanzibar is part of Tanzania, not Kenya.
(TANganyika + ZANzibar = Tanzania.)
So if you crossed from Kenya, you were going to another country.
Usually you cross from Dar es Salaam.
 :sip:
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 12:39:35 pm »
The Tanzanite mines in Tanzania.  8)
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 01:51:38 pm »
Two places on your route I recommend visiting are Gombe Stream national park (chimpanzees) in Tanzania and going to see the gorillas in Uganda (much cheaper than Rwanda).
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Kartoem

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Dream the ride - ride the Dream
    • moto-africa.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 05:56:23 pm »
Further North, I recommend camping in the dunes at the Meroe Pyramids in Sudan. And if you are very brave, following the railway line through the Nubian Desert from  Abu Hamed to Wadi Halfa. It should keep you busy for while.
Obstacles is what you see when you take your eye of the goal

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 06:13:55 pm »
Further North, I recommend camping in the dunes at the Meroe Pyramids in Sudan. And if you are very brave, following the railway line through the Nubian Desert from  Abu Hamed to Wadi Halfa. It should keep you busy for while.

That is quite a route.  I did that in 1979 in the other direction.  When I was in Wadi Halfa 3 years ago I just tried a little section and realized my bravery has gone down.  But if you have the capabilities to do it then that is a nice cross desert trip.  Are the telegraph poles still alongside the railway line?  Those made navigation in the pre-GPS days very easy.  You could stray far away from the railway to go around obstacles as long as you kept the poles in sight.  And then there were the sections where the sand was too soft and you had to ride between the tracks.

And are those maintenance stations still there?  You could get water every 30-40 kilometers at those stations.

KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 02:42:31 am »
My bad on first post, yes Zanzibar is part of Tanzania and I crossed from Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania

Second recommendation on where to stop is another one that you can not take the motorcycle, (meals on wheels), Kruger National Park in South Africa. The animals were amazing.  Our method was to take bike for service in Nelspruit, walk down the block and rent a car for four days to tour the park. When we got back the bike was serviced and ready to go.

RJT
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline ats30

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 11:05:31 am »

That is quite a route.  I did that in 1979 in the other direction.  When I was in Wadi Halfa 3 years ago I just tried a little section and realized my bravery has gone down.  But if you have the capabilities to do it then that is a nice cross desert trip.

Hello!
What is the biggest challenge in this route? Fuel? Water? Soft sand? Security? Navigation?All together?
Is it doable with 990 ADV with 2 people on board?

Tnx
E.

Offline Kartoem

• moto-africa.com
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 11:33:02 am »
The challenges are all those mentioned. Approximately 365km between fuel. Serious sunny weather. Water, you will have to take what you may need. There are a well at 1 or 2 of the old stations, but water is not guaranteed. Sand, sand, and more sand unless you want to ride on the train track. The sand surface varies from hard crusted plains (which is awesome) to fesh-fesh. There is little to none other trafficor people on this route. If you break down, you may be stuck for days.  I would think if you drop your bike often or get stuck in the thick sand you may tire quickly and consume a lot of water. I would not advise anyone to ride 2 up in any sand, unless you are a pro. For me, sand riding is about the free movement of your bike's tail

Offline ats30

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 12:42:14 pm »
The challenges are all those mentioned. Approximately 365km between fuel. Serious sunny weather. Water, you will have to take what you may need. There are a well at 1 or 2 of the old stations, but water is not guaranteed. Sand, sand, and more sand unless you want to ride on the train track. The sand surface varies from hard crusted plains (which is awesome) to fesh-fesh. There is little to none other trafficor people on this route. If you break down, you may be stuck for days.  I would think if you drop your bike often or get stuck in the thick sand you may tire quickly and consume a lot of water. I would not advise anyone to ride 2 up in any sand, unless you are a pro. For me, sand riding is about the free movement of your bike's tail

Tnx. As I understand it will be doable along the railroad?

Offline Kartoem

• moto-africa.com
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 01:00:39 pm »
ats30. 100%, Navigation is pretty easy by keeping the railway track and or telegraph poles in sight, however the desert is your playing field and it is generally easier to ride virgin sand as opposed to the track that closely follows the railway line. PM me with your email address and I will send you a short "lusmaker" write-up.

Offline FlyRide

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 07:26:48 am »
Hi all - and Mods.

I think this is a great topic.  Many of us have travelled across Africa, and have stayed at some amazing places.  Could we maybe have a topic, with known great places, based on a list for each country??

Thinking of places like The Hairy Lemmon, on the white Nile, near Jinja!! And Mayoka village in Malawi. And Wims Holland House in Addis.  And the Old Farm House, Tanzania.  Etc etc.

Would be a great asset to anybody travelling overland??

Lm
Current Bike - BMW 800 Adv

Offline sweetrolls

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 05:20:34 pm »

Hi all - and Mods.

I think this is a great topic.  Many of us have travelled across Africa, and have stayed at some amazing places.  Could we maybe have a topic, with known great places, based on a list for each country??

Thinking of places like The Hairy Lemmon, on the white Nile, near Jinja!! And Mayoka village in Malawi. And Wims Holland House in Addis.  And the Old Farm House, Tanzania.  Etc etc.

Would be a great asset to anybody travelling overland??

Lm

That would be amazing!

Offline GazGaz

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 10:28:15 am »
I am planning a trip from CPT to Kenya and back to durban leaving end of September. This would help alot in regards to places one should visit. A sticky would be a great idea for all :thumleft:
Will go where the road takes me

Yamaha Super tenere, Bmw F650GS Dakar ,Bmw F650GS, Honda VFR800 VTEC
Honda Varadero 125cc, Vespa 50cc

Offline OrangeRidingH00d

• Bike: BMW F700GS
  • Dynamite comes in small packages :)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 11:22:30 am »
Don't know if it's out of roate, but truly need to go past ongongo in the north of Namibia, its close to Van Zyl's pass and the river roads are spectacular. The campsite has a warm waterfall and very nice camping grounds. They have a Facebook page with cords of interested
https://m.facebook.com/Ongongocampsite/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Life is not a destination, but a Journey....
Take the Ride...