Greylingstad coddiwomple

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinusBez

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
So it’s back to salt pit tomorrow for another year of hard graft, studies eldest daughter in Grade 1 and the little one in grade 000, how time flies.

Unfortunately, my dad could not make the trip today but we’ll catch up somewhere over the weekend hopefully go to Leeupan like I had planned for today.

Test the waters with my wife and what plans she’s made, none, opportunity!
Kids want to go to granny, double opportunity.

Get them ready drop them off and with 20 minutes I found myself on the R23 towards Heidelberg.

Apparently the KTM 2013 Adventure R has a flight mode. According to my timeline on Google Maps the bike left the road and drive arrow straight. I don’t remember this but anyway.

Google%20maps_zps8wtffe8y.jpg

So I hit Greylingstad, a one horse town and the horse died a while ago. There is nothing there. I can only assume other than the post office, overgrown with weeds railway station, booze shop and a few spaza shops that this community serves the farmers around the area (my guess).

The mountain behind me is lush green and it is dead quite. A lady, perhaps in her 50’s, is puffing a cigarette on the stoep of her square railway house. Looks almost like tan Stienie’s house, I can’t remember the show of the 80’s all I know Steve Stofsuier was the baddie or something like that. She does not give much attention to anything including the screaming kids inside the house. 

The dirt road is not far from there and I spot an old sandstone church and stop for the obligatory photo.

20170102_091803_zpsxnx6w5c8.jpg

The dirt takes me to a point where I have to take the Nigel road. Excellent dirt, some stones here and there but nothing major. On my maiden trip I managed to handle 50km/h in ruts and so on, this was dryer and sandy at places but none to little middlemannetjies and the ones that I encountered I could manoeuvre around them with ease.

Confidence is building and I manage to hit a steady 70-80km/h and at some places 100+.

This would continue for several km’s, the longest I’ve ever been on dirt. 

There are many more gravel roads around this part of town and I will definitely come back here.

20170102_085201_zpsjvcoppaz.jpg

20170102_085414_zpsszhblkbk.jpg

20170102_085838_zpsm4pigi1p.jpg

20170102_092354_zpseezefp0n.jpg

20170102_095230_zpsodiilart.jpg

Back in Gauteng

20170102_101034_zps4pnbcwv2.jpg

Thanks for the read.

Cheers
Tinus