50 000km reflection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
My 2012 Adventure has just clocked over 50 000km on the return of my last trip. I thought it interesting to reflect on the bike and the mileage covered. The distance covered was mostly tar, with numerous gravel excursions to the Cedarberg, Overberg, Klein Karoo, southern Namibia, Baviaans, Gamkaskloof etc. Aside from the regular services (from 22k km these were done by Superfoxi, not the stealers/ball pein hammer wielding operators), the bike has incurred the following defects/eaten the following parts:

Defects
1. One rear brake master cylinder kit @ 19k km
2. One rear brake rotor @ 32k km. (Issues with the caliper not self aligning – fitted a fixed Moto-master rotor. Grease the caliper guide pins! )
3. One rear brake light switch @ 33k km
4. Replaced sprocket carrier bearings at 48k km
5. Replaced gear position sensor O ring @ 46k km
6.    One radiator cap @ about 25k km

Wear and tear items aside from prescribed service interventions
1. One new set chain/sprockets at 27k km
2. 3 sets of rear brake pads (above caliper issue schnacked some of these pads and I am sure the front pads may have been changed somewhere...)
3. Replaced original battery at 21k km with Toplite equivalent battery – current battery still working fine
4. About 5 rear tyres and 4 fronts (current rear on its last legs)
5. Four fuel filter kits (@15k, 21k, 36k and 49k km)
6. One rear splashback 
7. Three new air filters outside the main service interval renewals
8.      Clutch operating oil replaced about every 7k.

Aside from the rear brake MC leak being a 'WTF moment', not too bad I think. The bike is running perfectly, I look forward to enjoying the next 50 000 km's!  :ricky: