Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A couple on 990ADV, Cape to Cairo.  (Read 9522 times)

Offline Hayu Overthere

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: A couple on 990ADV, Cape to Cairo.
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 10:42:04 pm »
Hey ATS30...  congrats on undertaking your great adventure.  I just returned (to NA) from an SA wander, and I have the latest version of the Tracks4Africa GPS card, that I will donate to your efforts in return for a cold one next time I past through Estonia.  We rode through your country last September and loved it!  I hope the bear continues to sleep to your east.  I picked up that their shenanigans in the Ukraine were making people nervous.
My bike should emerge from its crate in Vancouver in the first week of April and I can mail the card to you then if you don't mind waiting?  I am guessing that you are using a Garmin unit that has the chip capability?
With regards to tenting...I took one and used it a couple of times in an emergency and several times by choice.  I have ridden many places in the world where it is is unwise to ride at night, but I put Africa very close to the top of that list!
PM me with your mailing address if you think this might work for you?
Cheers,
Steve
PS: I spoke with others that shipped by freighter or ferry (not sure which) their bike from Alexandria to the south coast of Turkey.  Turkey north to your home country is an exceptional ride (if you avoid the terrible roads in the Ukraine!)
S.

Offline ats30

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 10:55:30 pm »
Hey ATS30...  congrats on undertaking your great adventure.  I just returned (to NA) from an SA wander, and I have the latest version of the Tracks4Africa GPS card, that I will donate to your efforts in return for a cold one next time I past through Estonia.  We rode through your country last September and loved it!  I hope the bear continues to sleep to your east.  I picked up that their shenanigans in the Ukraine were making people nervous.
My bike should emerge from its crate in Vancouver in the first week of April and I can mail the card to you then if you don't mind waiting?  I am guessing that you are using a Garmin unit that has the chip capability?
With regards to tenting...I took one and used it a couple of times in an emergency and several times by choice.  I have ridden many places in the world where it is is unwise to ride at night, but I put Africa very close to the top of that list!
PM me with your mailing address if you think this might work for you?
Cheers,
Steve
PS: I spoke with others that shipped by freighter or ferry (not sure which) their bike from Alexandria to the south coast of Turkey.  Turkey north to your home country is an exceptional ride (if you avoid the terrible roads in the Ukraine!)
S.

Hi Steve!

Thank you for good offer, i will send you PM!
Turkey is just fine and Ukraine is one of my favored countries to ride. So if you have some contacts or exact inf about freighter or ferry from Alexandria to Turkey, do not hesitate to send it!

Hope you get your GS soon!
Cheers!

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 09:10:20 am »

news received courtesy of Michnus (Piki-Piki), round-the-world traveller...http://www.pikipiki.co.za/
Egypt bans presence of any motorbike types in central and North Sinai
http://expatcairo.com/egypt-bans-presence-of-any-motorbike…/
Egypt bans presence of any motorbike types in central and North Sinai
Expat Cairo News
Prime Minister Sherif Ismail decided on Saturday to ban the entry of any type of motorbike and their spare parts to the regions of central and North Sinai. For now, the period of the ban is limited to one year, according to the official government publication.
“The areas of the ban include Rafah, Sheikh Zuweid, and Al-Arish, in addition to El Meghra and El Khetima mountains in North Sinai, while the areas in central Sinai included in the ban are the cities of Taba and Ras Sidr,” the government publication reported.
Following the issuance of the Prime Minister’s decision, a broad campaign has been launched by the security forces inside the aforementioned areas to seize any motorbikes there, a North Sinai based journalist told Daily News Egypt on Sunday on condition of anonymity.
Meanwhile, anonymous militants on Saturday evening blew up the residence of a non-commissioned police officer in the suburb of Al-Obour in the North Sinai city of Al-Arish, the journalist said.
“Militants believed to be members of the IS-affiliated group of ‘Sinai Province,” planted [an improvised explosive device] in the non-commissioned police officer’s residence and remotely detonated it; nobody was killed or injured from the explosion,” he explained.
Moreover, a security conscript was injured by sniper bullets while he was stationed at a security checkpoint located south of Al-Arish. The conscript has been transferred to Al-Arish Military hospital to receive treatment, the source added.
Since 2013, state security forces, represented in both the army and the police, have been engaged in violent clashes with “Sinai Province,” known previously as Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis. In 2014, the group declared its affiliation to IS and has launched deadly attacks on army and police checkpoints.
Over the course of the last two years, the Egyptian armed forces launched counterattacks against militant stationing points across the Sinai Peninsula, where the group is based, particularly in the cities of Sheikh Zuweid, Rafah, and Al-Arish.

Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline ats30

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2017, 08:52:41 pm »
What about food in Africa- is it smart to take a Primus and food with us or we can found something to eat on the road? To carry food and all equipment for cooking is ... :)

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2017, 12:29:11 pm »
There is food everywhere and it is easy to find food.  It is nice to carry some things for during the day as it is often nice to just stop somewhere and have your lunch, snack etc. and you won't quite find food every time it is your lunchtime.  Whether or not you need to carry a stove and pots etc depends on how remote you want to go, budget and personal preference.  If your plan is to only camp in the bush in emergencies then there is little reason to carry cooking stuff.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2017, 01:29:51 pm »
Fluids are more important. Where there are people there is food. BBQ chicken is always safe and chips. But try everything.

Sent from my techno 6 Chinese upgrade

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 01:31:56 pm »
Fluids are more important. Where there are people there is food. BBQ chicken is always safe and chips. But try everything.

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline ats30

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2017, 07:44:51 pm »

Yeah, fluids... beer.. :lol8:

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »

Just remember, no beer in the Sudan, nada.  I quote the following from one of the articles my son wrote about the trip -

There was also his stubborn single-mindedness when it came to tracking down his other great love – beer – at the end of a hard day on the bikes.   Fortunately, until we reached the Arabic countries, finding a cold one each evening wasn’t a problem. But especially in Sudan – and often in Egypt – things changed and my father was greatly distressed by the lack of beer.  He never gave up, though; he’d ask anyone and everyone (including those who were clearly not accepting of alcohol) if they knew where he could find a beer. And it never ceased to amaze me how surprised he seemed when his queries were ‘rewarded’ with stares of pure venom, particularly from women wearing burkas.

Offline ats30

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2017, 04:22:36 pm »

Just remember, no beer in the Sudan, nada.  I quote the following from one of the articles my son wrote about the trip -

There was also his stubborn single-mindedness when it came to tracking down his other great love – beer – at the end of a hard day on the bikes.   Fortunately, until we reached the Arabic countries, finding a cold one each evening wasn’t a problem. But especially in Sudan – and often in Egypt – things changed and my father was greatly distressed by the lack of beer.  He never gave up, though; he’d ask anyone and everyone (including those who were clearly not accepting of alcohol) if they knew where he could find a beer. And it never ceased to amaze me how surprised he seemed when his queries were ‘rewarded’ with stares of pure venom, particularly from women wearing burkas.

:imaposer:

Offline ats30

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2017, 10:49:30 pm »
Hi-hello!
My bike is sailing to Capetown and aprox 10 of May it will be there! So, adventure starts soon!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2017, 12:41:35 am »
 :thumleft: Jealous!
If you come through Kzn, give me a shout.
I am between Durban and Pietermaritzburg.
Room, chow and chat.
And cold one! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline ats30

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2017, 08:40:00 am »
:thumleft: Jealous!
If you come through Kzn, give me a shout.
I am between Durban and Pietermaritzburg.
Room, chow and chat.
And cold one! :thumleft:
Tnx!
 I let you know :D

E.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2017, 10:25:40 pm »
Will be looking forward to your Ride Report, Mr. ats30 :biggrin:

Offline ats30

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2017, 07:26:41 pm »
What about water in Africa? I mean not  RSA but Africa generally. Is it possible to buy it in bottles everywhere or i really need to take  water purifying unit with me? I feel like totally owerthinking idiot asking questions like that... :-[
Hope here in North Europe is more who is interested, makes me feel better to not be alone  :lol8:

Offline ats30

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2017, 07:37:08 pm »
Will be looking forward to your Ride Report, Mr. ats30 :biggrin:
If the community is ready to forgive me all these thousands of "linguistic peculiarities" , then, perhaps indeed, I'll take myself together and write something  :P

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2017, 03:41:22 pm »
What about water in Africa? I mean not  RSA but Africa generally. Is it possible to buy it in bottles everywhere or i really need to take  water purifying unit with me? I feel like totally owerthinking idiot asking questions like that... :-[
Hope here in North Europe is more who is interested, makes me feel better to not be alone  :lol8:

Maybe take some purification tablets with for the times you have really suspect water.  Those Katadyn type units are such a mission to get any water out of that you will not use it more than a few times.  We mostly drank the available water or bought bottled water and had no issues.  And as you say, don't overthink it.

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2017, 01:00:18 pm »
Bottled water is usually available everywhere.

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline ats30

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2017, 12:59:09 pm »
Once again about Malaria

Prophylaxis during long trip is not good for health anyway. How is your experience with side effects?
One theory is  to abandon the prophylaxis and cure if you're infected. How do you feel about this?

Tnx!

E.

Online 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2017, 12:03:24 pm »
Once again about Malaria

Prophylaxis during long trip is not good for health anyway. How is your experience with side effects?
One theory is  to abandon the prophylaxis and cure if you're infected. How do you feel about this?

Tnx!

E.

Take the prophylaxis - if you get the one type of Malaria you die .. over and out . The other one you can cure and it will return seasonally ... so take the pills
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50