A couple on 990ADV, Cape to Cairo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ats30

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hello people

First of all I would like to apologize in advance for my poor English.  I hope that my thought is understandable, if not, do not hesitate to correct me.
Our trip (Me and my wife and 990ADV) is planned to start at May from SA to back home (North Europe).  At the moment i am busy to mod my motorbike for long trip. Newer been in Africa before (My understanding is that real Africa is south of Sahara), but have some travel experience like around Black Sea, Caucasus, Iran, Russia, Balcanians and Europe.
We have no time limit, so all what is worth to visit, we like to do. No serious offroad (although I really want to), but would like to ride as much as possible on gravel. Want to avoid big citys. Plan is to stay overnight at campsites and B&B-s. Maybe we meet some nice people and can stay overnight.

From here is some questions for start. Obviously  any answers occurs  more questions, but im not hesitate to ask :)
Lets start:
Is it necessary to carry tent or i it`s only question of style of travel?
How to plan to change money on road? Is there ATM-s or only cash busines?
Good maps for Garmin, what is the best source?
About climate. As we start at May and, lets say, it takes 6 months, how is it? What about malaria?
Gasoline quality, is it really that poor as i read here and there?
In emergency tehnical problems (hope newer happens), where i can hope to find service for KTM? SA should be no problem, next is Nairobi?
Maybe there is nice local enduro people to meet on the way, for cold beer or hang ower, maybe some real offroad tour for day or two, contacts are welcome.

All advices for route and activities are welcome too.

As I do not want to only be a vampire, I can offer  night shelter, good advice and technical assistance for travelers who find themselves in Estonia. We have a large camping area, few rooms,  a warm  sauna and a it's all located in the immediate vicinity of the capital. The perfect place to stay if you are on the way for example to Nordkap or Russia.

So thank you in advance for all good advice.

E.