Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A couple on 990ADV, Cape to Cairo.  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Vansafrica

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
    • Circumnavigating Africa
Re: A couple on 990ADV, Cape to Cairo.
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2017, 12:45:05 pm »
Today, it is not clear how to get from Egypt to Europe. Ideal would be to drive to Israel. Then the ferry to Greece and ok. Unfortunately, there is no regular ship traffic between  Greek and Israel. And last news i know, Sinai desert is not allowed on motorbike. True, there is probably possible to find opportunities.
Another way to travel to Europe is through Egypt and Libya to Tunisia. From Tunisia should be easy to get Italy by ship. The question is Libya. Not much inf about travel in Libya last time.
Sudanese visa is also guestion.
Recent experience in these topics are welcome

Hi Ats,

Crossing is always a problem. I preferred to stay with my bike and opted for a roll on roll off ferry. Salamis Lines has a ferry from Greece Lavrio to Hafia Isreal. You can book a cabin in advance and chill on the boat for 3 days...

https://vansafrica.com/2013/07/18/day-133-israel-%D7%90%D7%A0%D7%99-%D7%9C%D7%90-%D7%99%D7%95%D7%93%D7%A2-%D7%9E%D7%94-%D7%96%D7%94-%D7%90%D7%95%D7%9E%D7%A8/

Good Luck!
WWW.VANSAFRICA.COM

2005 BMW R 1200GS
2016 KTM 300 XCW

Online big oil

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2017, 02:01:30 pm »
Today, it is not clear how to get from Egypt to Europe. Ideal would be to drive to Israel. Then the ferry to Greece and ok. Unfortunately, there is no regular ship traffic between  Greek and Israel. And last news i know, Sinai desert is not allowed on motorbike. True, there is probably possible to find opportunities.
Another way to travel to Europe is through Egypt and Libya to Tunisia. From Tunisia should be easy to get Italy by ship. The question is Libya. Not much inf about travel in Libya last time.

Hi Ats,

Crossing is always a problem. I preferred to stay with my bike and opted for a roll on roll off ferry. Salamis Lines has a ferry from Greece Lavrio to Hafia Isreal. You can book a cabin in advance and chill on the boat for 3 days...

https://vansafrica.com/2013/07/18/day-133-israel-%D7%90%D7%A0%D7%99-%D7%9C%D7%90-%D7%99%D7%95%D7%93%D7%A2-%D7%9E%D7%94-%D7%96%D7%94-%D7%90%D7%95%D7%9E%D7%A8/

Good Luck!

I could very well be wrong, but I think Israel placed a ban on motorcycles and motorcycle parts from the Sinai Peninsula.  Perhaps the ban has been lifted.

Offline Vansafrica

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2017, 02:05:00 pm »

Hi Ats,

Good Luck!

I could very well be wrong, but I think Israel placed a ban on motorcycles and motorcycle parts from the Sinai Peninsula.  Perhaps the ban has been lifted.
Highly doubt it. The Taba border is very busy with people going to the resort town in Isreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WWW.VANSAFRICA.COM

2005 BMW R 1200GS
2016 KTM 300 XCW

Offline schalk vd merwe

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2017, 04:40:53 pm »
Hi Ats30 I don't know if you are in South Africa yet but if you come to Johannesburg I have loads of info for you regarding your trip. I also have a spare double room where you can come and stay for free. I did a 33 000km trip from Johannesburg to Egypt and back again to Cape Town in 2015 through 18 countries. I also wrote a book about the trip that I think will help you a lot. Just PM me if you want to come and stay over. Johannesburg is 1550 km from Cape Town.
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Online big oil

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2017, 04:44:24 pm »

Hi Ats,

Good Luck!

Highly doubt it. The Taba border is very busy with people going to the resort town in Isreal.

Maybe the ban was in Egypt, I can't remember.

Offline ats30

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2017, 09:00:02 pm »
Hi Ats30 I don't know if you are in South Africa yet but if you come to Johannesburg I have loads of info for you regarding your trip. I also have a spare double room where you can come and stay for free. I did a 33 000km trip from Johannesburg to Egypt and back again to Cape Town in 2015 through 18 countries. I also wrote a book about the trip that I think will help you a lot. Just PM me if you want to come and stay over. Johannesburg is 1550 km from Cape Town.

Tnx man! I`ll arrive at beginning of June and let you know! And i will buy your book too :)

As i know, Sinai Peninsula is closed for motorbikes ...

Offline schalk vd merwe

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2017, 10:46:42 am »

Tnx man! I`ll arrive at beginning of June and let you know! And i will buy your book too :)

As i know, Sinai Peninsula is closed for motorbikes ...
Yes they don't allow bikes on the other side (Sinai side) of the Suez Canal. When I arrived there they stopped me from crossing as suicide bombers killed 15 army personnel 2 weeks prior using a bike. Sins then they had the ban and I belief that ban is still in force today. If I could get through at the time I could have traveled by ferry for $615 from Israel to Italy. From Egypt it would have cost me $ 2923 to ship the bike and a plane ticked for my self. I then decided to rather ride my bike back all the way across Africa to South Africa and I am now going to ship my bike from here.
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline ats30

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2017, 09:48:49 am »
Hi again! Question about riding gear. It is always tricky but would be good to have a hint what to expect about weather. Estimated start is  mid of July, few weeks in SA, after that Namibia, Botswana and ....
Is it dry or wet, mid temp more then 25-30 *C or less ... ? Or just simply, what kind of riding gear you people wear on a trip like that?
Tnx!

Offline Vansafrica

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2017, 09:58:23 am »
Hi again! Question about riding gear. It is always tricky but would be good to have a hint what to expect about weather. Estimated start is  mid of July, few weeks in SA, after that Namibia, Botswana and ....
Is it dry or wet, mid temp more then 25-30 *C or less ... ? Or just simply, what kind of riding gear you people wear on a trip like that?
Tnx!
Check accuweather for forecast and rainy seasons. Its going to be warm so no warm gear but a rain suite advisible.

WWW.VANSAFRICA.COM

2005 BMW R 1200GS
2016 KTM 300 XCW

Offline TeeJay

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2017, 12:54:28 pm »
South Africa in July is freezing - for us anyway - inland temps can be -2 - depending on what part of SA. In Cape Town currently it's around 8 deg celsius (min) and 15 deg celsius (max).

Inland it can be -4 to 20.

Cold in the mornings and evenings.
Eat life!

Offline spankme

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2017, 02:15:56 pm »
Have a buddy riding up to UK,presently in Rwanda

Will keep you posted as to how he gets out of Egypt

Another mate did what Schalk wouldnt do and shipped bike to Greece and had to fly over,not cheap :o

Offline ats30

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2017, 12:59:25 pm »
Adventure starts at 13 of July, just bought tickets to Cape Town!

Online 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2017, 10:48:40 pm »
So have you started?
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline ats30

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2017, 11:33:07 am »
So have you started?
Hi! We are not far from Cape Town, in African Overlanders camp site  now. Tnx for Spankme for warm welcome party,  barbeque and beers! It's a bit unclear how we arrived at night to campsite, but it was a fun evening Tnx a lot Steve!

We are waiting for the weather to improve, and then move forward, along the coast toward Durban. Any suggestions are welcome!

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2017, 08:05:24 pm »
Its going to be cold either way, may as well start

Sent from my TECNO-N9 using Tapatalk

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline ats30

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2017, 08:15:02 pm »
Just decided that tomorrow, if there is no rain, looking around here and Monday ride North, to Namibia.

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2017, 08:25:32 pm »
Get out of CT and the rain stops but it's still cold. Good luck and enjoy.

Sent from my TECNO-N9 using Tapatalk

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline ats30

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2017, 02:22:22 pm »
I replaced the GPS holder and now one, completely new, is  available. The key position was to close to screen, was hard to open / close, TOURATECH fits better. So, If anyone is interested in that let me know. Still near CT for few days.
 http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-garmin-zumo-590-595-extrem-bracket-21041-002-1.html

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:25:12 pm by ats30 »

Offline Ventana

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • De Colores!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2017, 04:36:56 pm »
 :sip:  Looking forward to the stories  :sip:
De Colores!

Offline ats30

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2017, 12:08:33 pm »
Just arrived to Upington! Finally weather is good, warm enough to enjoy could beer on the banks of Orange River :) We stay here for a couple of days, then move towards Namibia.
 How many of you have heard of a country called Estonia? I suggest very few. And even less likely are those who know where this small country is located. Yesterday evening, having just entered the city, stopped at a pub to eat and  enjoy  little small and cold beer, a gentleman came to our table and asked if we are from Estonia. It turned out that his wife is an Estonian and they live together in Upington. Just mention, the population of Estonia is estimated to be about 1.3 million. Having lunch today with estonian in other side of the world ... :)