Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 22473 times)

Offline Namakwalander

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 01:23:28 pm »
Born to be Mild

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 01:53:52 pm »
Thanks Willie

So, the rim on the super tenere has been sorted for the coming weekend. Welded and true'd again. Fortunately my stepdad is quite handy (did not do welding himself though) and I am hoping he can give some attention tomorrow to my spotlights setup as well. (currently the indicator cant be seen) I have tomorrow off to sort out as many issues as I can. Also need to buy chain lube, I have chain wax but will see what other options I have.

I am not going to have time to fix my indicator before the ride, but hoping it will last anyhow (its still working). The lack of feedback on my other thread regarding the indicator I take it I caused this. It could only have been by the serious roost I got from the front. I was literally showered with rocks from the front. I will probably have to replace the hooter attachment plastic as well.

I noticed the new generation indicators look a lot better than mine, so here is to hoping the replacement is a new one then I will just ˙pdate the other as well sometime.
I looked at a new R yesterday, the indicators and reflectors seem facelifted. Also, my bike is software version 3.10 while the latest is 3.23 so I would like it updated sometime. Then also my bike had a 'damping'feature I could set to my favourites menu. THe new one didnt. anyone know what it actually is?

We also changed suspension settings yesterday. everything was very hard. I set it to normal now but still find it hard. WIll stick with it though. I weigh 90kg.

I have my first smiley as well, will post some pics later on that....
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 01:57:11 pm »
Damping is elektroniese suspensie, wat die R nie het nie.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 02:00:50 pm »
I think the newer indicators are better

My 2014 would have one rear fog up every time I washed the thing and it would take ages to dry out.  The new ones seem to be sealed much better.

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 02:01:52 pm »
I just washed my 1290 GT and my right rear also has signs of water in it now.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 03:38:00 pm »
I think the newer indicators are better

My 2014 would have one rear fog up every time I washed the thing and it would take ages to dry out.  The new ones seem to be sealed much better.

Agreeds, it looks like they are sealed a lot better. kind of wrap-around rubber. I will put a pic up when I install.

Damping is elektroniese suspensie, wat die R nie het nie.

reg so, het vir my ook boggerol sin gemaak.

nou moet ek nog net verstaan hoe verstel mens damping op een vurk en kompressie op ander vurk en dan moet die twee vurke nou weet wat jy op ander een gemaak het? ek sien geen konneksies tussen die twee nie.

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 03:44:43 pm »
Lees die Manual  :thumleft:
Hulle tune jou als daarbinne  :thumleft:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 03:46:52 pm »
Lees die Manual  :thumleft:
Hulle tune jou als daarbinne  :thumleft:
Ek het hom gelees. dit was grieks

ek dog toe daar is 4 punte en dit al klaar erg.
Gaan kuier by die man met sy nuwe R, ons doen toe 6 stellings! EK het van hulle sommer heel mis gelees.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 09:57:49 am »
Right! This weekend I had a big ride, we did an Ironbutt 2500km in 36hrs. but first...

I bought a set of pannier racks from Amsterdam on the forum (Thanks! And it was packaged also great!)
I was looking at all the different types, and have actually decided on getting SWmotech as I thought they were okayish, do not draw attention to themselves and are not as crazy expensive as the Rombux. But then I got the Rombux 2nd and and jumped on them. They are super strong, and while some friends do not agree, I like the look of them the most as well.
PLUS THEY FIT WITH THE PIPES!  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Yeah! I was really not looking forward to modifying stuff to fit.
Of course as always, I believe nothing is easy on a bike, so I still had to deal with some stripped nuts and hammering out grommets, but all is well that ends well!

What do you think of the look?

Next up is upper crashbars. Pity, it seems all of them attach to the lower bars, straining their' mountings, but I do think it will be a good investment. I want Swmotech orange. But lets see.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 10:02:19 am »
looking good!  :thumleft:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 10:22:02 am »
I will write a ride report but wuld like to give bike opinions here.

So, it was a lot of riding this weekend. tar. But the bike performed flawlessly. And while this is supposed to be less of a tourer than the GS, and it is, it performed a lot better than what I was expecting. I rode mostly with a cushion, and swapped with the GSA a lot as well to just rest my throttle hand (Kaoko on GSA) and to punish my ass in different ways, it still did very well. I mean...2500km was done, no one can state that this cant tour.

My brother rode my GSA, after some 500km's he stated very impressed that he is falling in love with the GSA. I then let him ride the 1190 and he did not want to give it back. Thats a nice summary. This really is an awesome bike. My stepfather riding an S10 was also very impressed with the performance.

The performance really is something else, its so easy to keep up at 140kmph. You can ride ahead, stop and take pics and easily catch up again, go through a corner slow or not focus for a bit or struggle with snacks, and just catch up again within seconds. The GSA does feel a lot more solid, and stiff as well (suspension softer though) but the 1190 is just something else. Its like an BMW X5 vs an offroad foussed M X3 if I can make imaginary cars up. My brother also said like I mentioned earlier, the 1190 feels loose on the road, but its okay. ITs more like a you-are-more-in-control -loose.

Then fuel consumption is also awesome. while the other bikes are heavier physically, this always had the same or better fuel consumption. and this while the others was not ridden like hooligans, and never saw 200kmph.
super stoked with my 1190.  :biggrin:

super sad to have to let my GSA go now, there is no more excuses left to keep it longer  :'( (and I am not joking, this is a tough decision)

Some pics of the ride attached.
(we did 2000km in the first 24hrs, 2nd people in South africa to manage that, but we did not choose easy routes but rather went Kimberley - Port Elizabeth - Durban and back, did not sleep but continued to finish the 2500km in 32hrs.)

Offline Namakwalander

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 10:39:57 am »
Eendag as ek groot is gaan ek saam met jou so iron butt doen  :thumleft:

Terloops sien ek daar was n rooi Honda ook in die groep  :lol8:
Born to be Mild

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 10:52:51 am »
n rooi Honda ook in die groep

ek neem aan hy ry seker nog? ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline krister

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 12:13:15 pm »
Lekker, man!   :thumleft:  (Sub)

As jy daardie GSA wil verkoop, laat my weet asb...
Previous Bikes: Suzuki TS50ER; Suzuki GS1000G; Kawasaki Z1000; Yamaha XT500; BMW F650GS; BMW R1150GS; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 12:35:53 pm »
These Rumbux bars look very good with the double pipe.  If I were you I would choose black for the upper crashbars and not orange.  The orange gets a bit much in my view.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 12:53:09 pm »
These Rumbux bars look very good with the double pipe.  If I were you I would choose black for the upper crashbars and not orange.  The orange gets a bit much in my view.

I havent seen many in black. but will have a look. (I do not have KTM stickers on my car or trailer, yet)

Lekker, man!   :thumleft:  (Sub)

As jy daardie GSA wil verkoop, laat my weet asb...

Ek maak so, hy moet nou gepolish word, GPS mount oorgedra word na KTM, dan adverteer. Sal nie te duur gaan nie oordat hy al gewerk het, 2011 met 82000km op.
Ek sal seker sy Akro ook apart eerder verkoop, dink ek sal meer so op ou einde kan kry. Maar all in due time.

Eendag as ek groot is gaan ek saam met jou so iron butt doen  :thumleft:

Terloops sien ek daar was n rooi Honda ook in die groep  :lol8:
Haha jaaaa, toe ons weer kyk toe staan my 2 jarige se scootertjie daar, dit was nogal snaaks so terwyl ons reg maak Vrydag voor ons ry.
Sondag net voor ek weer wou op trailer laai toe kry ons weer die scootertjie daar tussenin! Was baie oulik. (So Chris, ons kan seker maar se hy het klaar gemaak ook  ;D )

Moet se dit n man se hart nogal warm gemaak om sy familie weer te sien na so lang tyd op die pad!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 07:31:02 am »
I like ekstras. but I also like making stuff better ( :peepwall:) and making stuff mine, not just another bike of the production floor.

So my focus has been to get the GSA ready to be sold, I really have limited time to spend on the bikes so it has been a struggle. At least it has been washed and yesterday I could take off the stearing damper and the GPS bracket.
I would like to fit the stearing damper to the 1190 but we will see about making a bracket. It will be a nice DIY challenge and I can be rather stingy at times.
The GPS lockable bracket I have mounted to the 1190 but still need to give it power. After struggling for 10minutes to fit it I decided screw this, how difficult can it be to remove the windscreen. Its easy! A lot easier than the one on the GSA. And I like the adjustable setup on the 1190 as well.
So, GPS fitted, I hate driving blind. Having a GPS to guide me allows me to go a lot faster on tar and gravel, just because I know what is ahead of the next corner. On the internet there is some stories that the vibration on the 1190 GPS brackets are bad, but it seems solid to me, guess a ride will make it clear to me.

I am going to see if I can still get some more life out of the current jelly rims while I order some other stuff. I still want to research more online if the new KTM Akront rims are a worthy upgrade to the old ones.

In other news, I have a possible buyer for the GSA! hold thumbs as I would like it of my back, I need the money and I need something less to suck up my time. I havent even advertised it yet and still had to sort some little issues on it, but the buyer is keen...

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 01:05:22 pm »
if you're using the OEM GPS bracket, then it is quite 'wobbly' on bad roads, but OK on tar - I've seen guys stiffen it, but have not yet done it to mine, as I seldom do very bad roads with the GPS.

Where did you power it from? Behind the headlight there is an ACC2 connection, that is only powered with the ignition ON
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:06:11 pm by Bundu »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2017, 02:17:32 pm »
if you're using the OEM GPS bracket, then it is quite 'wobbly' on bad roads, but OK on tar - I've seen guys stiffen it, but have not yet done it to mine, as I seldom do very bad roads with the GPS.

Where did you power it from? Behind the headlight there is an ACC2 connection, that is only powered with the ignition ON

Its a Touratech bracket, but I have seen that they also ned stiffening. I will test and sort out if need be. I did do a screenshot of the stiffening, it shouldnt be to difficult.

I havent connected the power yet. Still getting the GSA ready for sale, signed the papers today so it needs to go. But then I will look at finding that ACC2 connector. THe spots was connected to ignition via some thin wire (I disconnected) but I dont think the thin wire will carry enough power to charge the GPS. then I will probably only need earth. But I will get help from some more-knowledgeable-peoples.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2017, 02:29:22 pm »
........ But then I will look at finding that ACC2 connector. THe spots was connected to ignition via some thin wire (I disconnected) but I dont think the thin wire will carry enough power to charge the GPS. then I will probably only need earth. But I will get help from some more-knowledgeable-peoples.

the ACC2 on the 1190 can only supply 1A, so I would put a relay coil on ACC2 and supply the spots and GPS through relay contacts from ACC1 (10A fused)