Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 22294 times)

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2017, 02:34:34 pm »
if you're using the OEM GPS bracket, then it is quite 'wobbly' on bad roads, but OK on tar - I've seen guys stiffen it, but have not yet done it to mine, as I seldom do very bad roads with the GPS.

Where did you power it from? Behind the headlight there is an ACC2 connection, that is only powered with the ignition ON

Its a Touratech bracket, but I have seen that they also ned stiffening. I will test and sort out if need be. I did do a screenshot of the stiffening, it shouldnt be to difficult.

I havent connected the power yet. Still getting the GSA ready for sale, signed the papers today so it needs to go. But then I will look at finding that ACC2 connector. THe spots was connected to ignition via some thin wire (I disconnected) but I dont think the thin wire will carry enough power to charge the GPS. then I will probably only need earth. But I will get help from some more-knowledgeable-peoples.

That  wire was only to give power to the relay to open up. The spots get their actual power from + and - on battery. That way the spots was Ignition powered.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 08:26:42 am »
THanks Manic. I understood it like that. Driving at night the spots were a bit rough on traffic so I had to take them of ignition power. If I someday open up everything I will replace that wire with one from the brights, I like that setup.Spots operated manualy and on brights.

Manic, the bike really starts easy, did you perhaps have the stronger starter fitted?

I started her yesterday to make the new owner of the GSA jealous...but now I am frustrated as I am not getting time to ride!
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline TinusBez

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 05:28:11 pm »
Martin jou fiets lyk amazing met daai double rear crash bars. Lekker bad ass buiten die protection wat dit lewer. Nog badder ass lyk met front upper cb's. Gaan myne bestel en hopelik tel ek dit op as ek van vliegtuig klim terug v London 13 Maart. Geniet haar. My gat BRAND om te ry maar wag v dealer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

KTM: 500 EXC-F current
KTM: 1190 Adv R Sold
Sweat dries, blood clots and bones heal, Suck it up princess

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2017, 08:28:27 pm »
From me to me!
Die naweek bietjie quality time met die bike op die kaarte!

My seuntjie natuurlik dadelik die vliegtuig prentjie raak gesien.

Ek worry wel so bietjie of die handlebar bag gaan werk

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2017, 09:33:58 pm »
Ek like my bike! Nou al net lus vir ry!

My naweek...ek het bietjie gestrip om die heated grips op te sit en ook om die gps kabel deur te trek na battery toe. Maar nou dat ek dink...ek kon dalk reg gekom het sonder die strip werk.

Wel die heated grips is nogal n mission om op te sit. Behalwe vir al die draadwerk en so, ek moes n vyl vat en throttle kant glad skuur na ek die rubber afgehaal het. So daar was nie vir om draai nie. Dit darm klaar gekry maar is bietjie teleurgesteld in die Oxfords. Ek is net bmw sin gewoond en hulle worrd baie vinniger warm, maar ek moet nog toets op die oop pad, in die winter.

En ja ek weet ek n sissietjie, maar ek maak nie al dag die wysste van besluite nie en het al paar keer nou al mal mal mal koud gekry oo die bike. Ek soek my heated grips.

Verder het ek die handlebar bag toe gerky pleksw van tankbag. Ek dink dit gaan beter saam die bike se lyne en die vorige een wat ek getoets het nogal lekker gewerk.

Upper crashbars ook op, nie so cool dat hulle net aan die standaard crashbars vas maak en nerens andeers nie, maar op my ander thread waar ek oorreed is om n R te koop, is ek ook oorreed dat hulle meer goed as sleg kan doen. Ek hoop.

Verder het ek clutch kant se two finger lever se oraqnje deel afgehaal, daai levers lyk vir my meer vir show as prakties-geid, sal nog toets of hulle nou beter werk. Anders oorweeg ek om die standaard levers net kort af te breek.

Ek baie happy met hoe als saam kom, nou nog net daai sagte rim uit sort en ook nog knobblys kry.
En gps klaar koppel, kon nie n relay die naweek uit krap nie.

Oja, ekt gedog my toolbits is weg, toe sien ek my seuntjie het die setup 'beter' verpak. Nogal gelag

Offline Namakwalander

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2017, 06:47:21 am »
En ja ek weet ek n sissietjie, maar ek maak nie al dag die wysste van besluite nie en het al paar keer nou al mal mal mal koud gekry oo die bike. Ek soek my heated grips.

Ek weet van een keer waar jy redelik koue op die lyf kon voorkom deur n reenjas te dra  :pot:

Verder het ek clutch kant se two finger lever se oraqnje deel afgehaal, daai levers lyk vir my meer vir show as prakties-geid, sal nog toets of hulle nou beter werk. Anders oorweeg ek om die standaard levers net kort af te breek.

Daar was erens in die Pooratech fred n man wat die balletjie van n standaard lever afgesny het, die lever korter gemaak het en weer die balletjie teruggesit met epoxy. Standaard balletjie het n gaatjie aan onderkant op my fietsie. Weet nie of dit so is op alle fietse nie.

Oja, ekt gedog my toolbits is weg, toe sien ek my seuntjie het die setup 'beter' verpak. Nogal gelag

Die knapie verstaan mooi dat pappa n meer effektiewe verpakkings strategie nodig het  :thumleft:

Verder lyk die fiets lekker. Moonbag... ag ek meen handlebar bag en al
Born to be Mild

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 08:31:02 pm »
okay, this month I am buying tyres and next month I want to sort the rims or specifically the front rim. I am considering the cheapest solution more and more though. here is the options from cheapest to most expensive.

1. Fit the thickest tube I can find and dump TPMS. I need to figure out what is the DIY to have the valve hole made smaller. Any tips or is this a non-issue?

2. Replace my 2013 OEM rim with the new Akront OEM rim. Keep tubeless and TPMS. supposedly a lot better and I have not heard of a bend Akront as yet.
but it will also be a R4500 mission, minimum.

3. donate current hub and have an SMPro rim made up. I believe these are the strongest (no, there is no excel option, but these guys like to state its better than the excell anyhow). about an R6200 mission, solid solution though. but kind of sucks that I will be butchering my current wheel which is still mostly fine except for requiring some hammer work.

4. this will be to buy the complete wheel (no brake discs though) from KTM where they used the DID dirtstar rim. Almost R9000. advantages is having a complete second wheel. basically the same as this option is buying a second hub for option 3, but a hub is R3855!!

Opinions?
I think I am going to say screw it, and go for option 1. Its a lot of money I wont really recover.

So how do I sort the big valve hole after removing the TPMS?
Will I now sit with a constant tyre pressure warning on my dash?
Where can one buy the thickest strongest tubes online?

Offline Twister

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • CRF1000, KTM950SE, KTM500EXC
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2017, 11:45:35 pm »
okay, this month I am buying tyres and next month I want to sort the rims or specifically the front rim. I am considering the cheapest solution more and more though. here is the options from cheapest to most expensive.

1. Fit the thickest tube I can find and dump TPMS. I need to figure out what is the DIY to have the valve hole made smaller. Any tips or is this a non-issue?

So how do I sort the big valve hole after removing the TPMS?
Will I now sit with a constant tyre pressure warning on my dash?
Where can one buy the thickest strongest tubes online?

The valve hole is not a problem, I fit and remove a tube every now and then. I prefer going tubeless on long tar trips.

I use Mitas or Michelin heavy duty tubes. I will buy locally (about R400) and send it to you one if it is a problem finding one.

You reset the warning every-time you switch the bike off (Yes it is annoying)

I am a bit concerned using the heavy duty tube for long periods at high speeds but no problems thus far.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 08:08:15 am »
Thanks Twister. thats good feedback.
I started a thread on the Akront on advrider as well and it seems like they can take some punishment. So that does seem like a less expensive solution.
For now I think I will start carrying a tube along and make sure I know how to fit it quick and easy.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 11:45:04 am »
The story continues...
I have blown another paycheck, and its only the 7th now!
Totally worth it, I will syphon some petrol out of my wifes car!

I have my next set of tyres on the way. But have seen the front is more offroad focussed than I thought at first, dont think that will even last on a good gravel road. So I will probably wait till right before the dustybutt beore fitting them. hoping they will last 2500km as the gravel will mostly also be almost-highways. Anyhow, pic attached, they are as good as new, 3 tyres for the price of less than 2! Bargain.

And then another good deal at Bikegear. They have been selling the last of their Uvex helmets at a nice discount, they only had the one colouer and one size, both perfect for me so I went for it. Helmet looks awesome, better than I expected. Now I am on my way to achieving power ranger status with colour matching kit! I also bought some other small bits which I wouldnt buy if not already buying something big. Geld morsertjies. Bought tyre levers and bigger brake pedal attachment and such.
But I think I rather need a bigger hammer, I am losing pressure in about 4 days on my bent front rim.

See also a pic of the invoice in the box. Now that is a company that knows its customers!! Awesome stuff! There is no prices on it! My wife cant see what I spend on all the crap!
This weekend I really want to go ride. I see the rear tyre is wearing super fast, I thought I am going to have road focussed tyres as backup but see now its not worth it, they are basically shot after the iron but, so I will get the last bit of life out of them first.

I would also like to get the centrestand sorted before fitting the tyres.

TO DO:
Modify and refit the centre stand
Power the GPS, I would like to fit one central power point, connected with ignition and relay, and power everything from there.
Fit Akront front rim
I would like to powder coat the radiator guard black, still deciding
I would also like a sticker kit for the bike
somehow fit tooltubes or toolbox for tools. (tube, patch kit and stuff)

Offline Twister

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • CRF1000, KTM950SE, KTM500EXC
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2017, 01:36:23 pm »
m0lt3n is the Akront front rim a tubeless rim?

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 02:08:12 pm »
m0lt3n is the Akront front rim a tubeless rim?

yes. its the OEM rim on the 2016 models.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2017, 08:35:29 pm »
Since I had the R I felt sonething shady on the front suspension. Others that rode the bike didnt feel it but it was getting worse. Like iron on iron impact on the front suspension. I thoughy it over a bit and realised this mustw be stearing head bearings. Specifically because I remember Manic mentioning het had had them replacetd recently.

I am a noob but youtube told me how and that new bearings had to be retightened once they settled. Since my centre stand isnt sorted yet it was a bit of a mission but 20minutes and all was done. They were very loose. I coukd do with a 24 ring spanner as well but all went well. We also realised Philip's bearing will also require retighteneing, but it looks like a lot more work on the 950. A good Friday.
Next post will be more on an awesome Saturday!

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2017, 08:48:30 pm »
Since I had the R I felt sonething shady on the front suspension. Others that rode the bike didnt feel it but it was getting worse. Like iron on iron impact on the front suspension. I thoughy it over a bit and realised this mustw be stearing head bearings. Specifically because I remember Manic mentioning het had had them replacetd recently.

I am a noob but youtube told me how and that new bearings had to be retightened once they settled. Since my centre stand isnt sorted yet it was a bit of a mission but 20minutes and all was done. They were very loose. I coukd do with a 24 ring spanner as well but all went well. We also realised Philip's bearing will also require retighteneing, but it looks like a lot more work on the 950. A good Friday.

I feel like mine is getting loose again too.  I don't have a shake like I did the first time it got loose, but the front end just feels a little floppy in turns. 

KTM actually has a torque wrench specifically for that weird round nut with the holes.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2017, 08:57:08 pm »

I feel like mine is getting loose again too.  I don't have a shake like I did the first time it got loose, but the front end just feels a little floppy in turns. 

KTM actually has a torque wrench specifically for that weird round nut with the holes.

i would like to see that thing! I used a hammer and screwdriver. not elegant at all so I did not make it very tight at all to prevent causing damage.

I also saw I am going to seriously have to do something about tightening the gps bracket. it shakes to much.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2017, 09:18:09 pm »

works just like a torque wrench.  Pretty cool....But pretty limited use haha

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2017, 07:31:12 am »
That is nifty Roadhawg.
On the youtube stuff I watched no one bothered with torque wrenches, rather stating that to loose is better than to tight, and not to tighten so much that its difficult to turn.

It was rather easy actually, I got my front in the air. Loosened the 4 bolts on the forks, loosened the big nut on the stearing (in middle). I did not have correct tools for this so had to make use of a BIG shifting. It worked. Tightened the stearing head bearing with a screwdriver and hammer. I did not make it very tight but I can add that it was very loose. Required more than a complete turn. Done. Big improvement!

I am making this thread a bit pic heavy, but ah well...I like pics of my bike :) let me add some more! We did a breakfast run on Saturday, visited our local Starbucks!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2017, 08:30:46 am »
Okay, rather than crowding this with a mini ride report, I wrote a mini ride report :)

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=207320.0

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2017, 10:35:41 pm »
I took my Harley for a spin tonight...issues!
the 1190 has spoiled the fun I normally had on the Harley. it feels so slow now, I keep hitting the rev limiter!

Offline Namakwalander

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2017, 08:22:53 am »
I took my Harley for a spin tonight...issues!
the 1190 has spoiled the fun I normally had on the Harley. it feels so slow now, I keep hitting the rev limiter!

Jy kan altyd my Honda vir n spin vat om weer die Harley te waardeer. Jy kan ook enige tyd die Harley by my kom los sodat die olie op n gereelde basis sirkuleer kan word  :pot:
Born to be Mild