Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 29973 times)

Online Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #440 on: September 17, 2019, 08:43:17 am »
Bugger man.  A loose connection sounds probable, I mean why would it just all of a sudden lose it's shit?

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #441 on: September 17, 2019, 11:46:24 am »
Anyone know a KTM shop that actually answers emails and willing to send parts by Postnet? I would like to start getting my bike tip top again

Hoor by Philip hoe die diens by Rad moto was https://goo.gl/maps/9DAaNucivDntor5Z8

okay.
I have had big issues with the bike and generally was still positive.
This time I am not, the other things I broke, this is not my fault. The battery did not sort out the cluster!

50% chance I will have to replace the complete speedo cluster/head unit.
I will strip and check for a loose connection this afternoon and see what I find. Just maybe I am lucky. My front assembly does still have to much play so maybe the extra movement disconnected something, I will see if I can address that as well.

I did have for the first time ever some moisture inside the speedo after previous wash and shortly after my errors started popping up. Didn't think much of it at the time.

There is a number of cluster failures on the net, I was just hoping I could skip this one.

As jy die connectors nagaan, kan jy q20 spuit om vog uit te kry as die proppe verder as die seel uitgetrek het.

Otherwise, just out of curiosity, what does the starter and earth cables look like on the KTM and where do they connect? Almost sounds like one should be able to minimize volt drop during startup by looking into this. I have had a similar issue before, but not on a bike.
Born to be Mild

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #442 on: September 17, 2019, 11:49:52 am »
after a chat with a buddy who had had 990 speedo issues I am more hopeful that its fixable. I will open up and electro clean everything and hope for the best. Seems like the moisture could have been a bigger issue than I thought.

So I feel more hopeful now. Lets see what happens tonight.

Willie ek whatsapp jou gou om beter te verstaan
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2019, 12:31:09 pm »
Just saw this on Facebook so putting it here for later reference. I have had to replace one before...

If you break the KTM clutch mount, the Magura (2700177) part is the same as the KTM (76513005000) but is MUCH cheaper.

On the speedo, I have a replacement unit now and all is fine.... With new battery as well so not sure if I actually had to replace battery.
Last time it was the same story, I replaced the rear speed/abs sensor with the battery so not to sure if it was actually necessary to replace battery then, and now same story.

Hindsight is brilliant

I actually struggled my ass of to get the battery to fit, I ordered the wrong battery, I repeated my previous Tracmac order forgetting that I have changed the Harley battery as well and now I was stuck with a battery one size to big. A mission but its in. Have to press the seat quite hard though to click in place.
And that's why I am not fitting the old one again to check if it was actually an issue or not.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #444 on: October 17, 2019, 07:35:32 am »
So, a lot has happened since previous update.
or rather
a lot has broken since previous update.
I will basically be restarting this thread. Not to pshyched though to update. It really feels like much of a muchness now, redoing old repairs.

Once I get all the parts, I will start with a long overdue refurbishment of my not so old bike. I will be fixing a lot and upgrading a little, including the looks. Holding thumbs I don't take forever as I normally do with these things.
From the top of my head
1. I have to reglue heated grips which came loose.I cant ignore it anymore
2. Replace front indicators. They are still the pre facelift model lights and looks crap
3. Repaint crashbars. I am tired of scratched stuff, I don't fall so much anymore
4. Replace rear plastic cover above rear wheel.....yes AF*%K*NGAIN. And yes I am supposed to have upgraded stopper on rear shock and yes I have progressive springs in and yes it still happened.
5. Replace battery. YES, the new one is FUBAR
6. Replace broken spoke on Excel front rim (I will fix bend once tyre is done, and Yes I know you are not supposed to sommer -et bend an excel rim :( )

That's all for now.

see the story for broken bits here
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241809.20
brokenness explained at reply #22.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #445 on: January 15, 2020, 11:58:18 am »
Finally something is happening again on my bike front!
We moved house, but did everything ourselves and it was a lot that had to be done in a short time. Stayed 7 years in the previous home, fitting irrigation, building a garden, putting up extra lighting, alarms, cameras bla bla and now at the new home you try to get everything to the same level of comfort that previously took 7years now we try to do in 7 weeks. it was tough. (had a lot of days where my smartwatch clocked 27000 steps!)

Anyhow, very proud of the pic of bike in the garage, I finally got my tools accessible(I am a hoarder). Hell, finally the bike is accessible as well. Put up extra lights so I can work at night as well. The bike will have its own parking spot from now on. Being easier to access and get out will help me to ride it more. Previous garage was a single, but very long garage.
And I sold the Harley. Must say I miss it, especially now as mine is out.
But once everything settles down I will have to decide between a second bike again (probably 300 2T or some cafe racer) or upgrading the 1190. And then its going to be a very tough decision between 790 and 1290, as second hand they cost near to the same (all things not being equal I know)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:59:37 am by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #446 on: January 15, 2020, 12:05:38 pm »
Quick fix was the rubber on my throttle that came loose. Applied contact adhesive liberally and started stripping at the rear while it dries before pushing it back on. I think it should hold this time, it takes a beating when you manhandle the bike when stuck.

help????
One of the issues at the rear is the exhaust attachment strip/bracket thingy. Any idea where I can buy these in pic 2 and 3? I need a new one (obviously) but have never seen them available at online shops, advice?
And while asking for help, the spokes on an excel rim, is it normal KTM spokes I fit there? I broke one of the front spokes... Do I just buy from KTM? Excel rim on KTM hub.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:06:39 pm by m0lt3n »

Online Roadhawg

« Reply #447 on: January 15, 2020, 04:02:25 pm »
I might have 2 stock 990 hangers like that. They are steel and round but maybe they could be bent to fit?

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #448 on: January 15, 2020, 07:43:37 pm »
Hel loop die bike nog? Gedog hy is lankal kisplanke toe  :imaposer:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #449 on: January 15, 2020, 07:52:47 pm »

Wel nee... Maar hy gaan binnekort weer! Waar het jy daai carbon Fibre hangers vir die exhaust gekoop?

Roadhawg I sent you a PM.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #450 on: January 15, 2020, 08:12:00 pm »

Wel nee... Maar hy gaan binnekort weer! Waar het jy daai carbon Fibre hangers vir die exhaust gekoop?

Roadhawg I sent you a PM.

Dit kom saam met die Akrapovic pype. Jy kan dit by Akra koop weer. Try Online of Ebay.

The following users thanked this post: m0lt3n

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #451 on: January 21, 2020, 07:51:01 pm »
This time my strip down went relatively quick. Or that is now for the rear. I spend more time cleaning stuff than I actually spent with tools.
So first pic shows new rear end vs old one. I broke the old one in 3 parts to get it out, it's a pretty tight fit. But I did notice much more damage this time than the previous time on the old one. Other than breaking through, just about all mounting tabs were broken as well.
Some more pics stripped and some installed.

All in all, pretty happy with that part of the job. Wish that was all on the to-do list...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #452 on: January 21, 2020, 07:57:13 pm »
While I was working on that I upgraded some other small things and sorted out some other.

I am not happy with the wiring but more on that in a moment.

In the meantime I installed some frame guards
Installed a tps kit, I lost functionality of mine with the excel rims,the one I had left. But that chapter is not closed, I want to look at doing some tubeless conversions later.

Random pick of rear power parts sprocket. Not to happy with it, it's pretty expensive, I bought it because it looked great but now it's faded badly, and no it's not old yet.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #453 on: January 21, 2020, 09:06:47 pm »
This brings me to my current status. It feels like 4 steps forward and 5 backwards but I am positive. As soon as something is a bit tricky or daunting I take a break and think it through.

So with all the drama I had, the GPS lost power and now I also struggle with power to some of my spots. Which convinced me to rewire everything to the front acc1 and 2 plugs. I just need a moment to psyche myself up. It wasn't a difficult decision though as I was stripping the head unit anyhow to change my indicators to the new facelifed type and to see if I can do something about my loose head unit. The whole cluster is slightly loose but that's just a sign for me of impending doom.

Looking forward to the end result. It's nice to clean and retighten everything as I go. And of course doing a few cosmetic upgrades at the same time.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2020, 10:11:29 pm »
Update time. I am almost done with refresher on my bike.

I also repainted the crash bars and pannier racks
Replaced fugly preface lift front indicators with the facelift type
Tightened everything down properly, some panels were missing a screw, put a lot of effort into that and adding some sponge tape where possible rattles may occur
Replaced a lot of stickers. Tikkeltokkel helped me a lot with that. I will start a new thread when I have nicer pics. I really like the look of my bike now. Very happy except that I suck at getting stickers on without bubbles

See pic without bars and exhaust, it really looks nice and clean, uncluttered like that

And then final pic. Took my son for his first ride into town and he loved it. Had an ice cream and he couldn't stop talking

Online Roadhawg

« Reply #455 on: February 03, 2020, 10:03:02 am »
Looks good man.

The black bars look good too.

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #456 on: February 03, 2020, 05:44:33 pm »
+1 daai bike lyk nou rerig vir my beter so met die swart en swart kleur skema as die standaard kleure.. :thumleft: :thumleft:
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #457 on: February 04, 2020, 07:54:23 am »
+1 daai bike lyk nou rerig vir my beter so met die swart en swart kleur skema as die standaard kleure.. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Jap. Dankie

Dit was regtig nogal vir my nou al n rukkie n kopseer oor waste sticker kit om op te sit, maar elke keer chicken ek uit om R4k te betaal vir sticker kit, 1 = dit is duur, maar 2 = ek kon nie besluit op wat ek soek nie. So die is n shortcut, baie goedkoper shortcut.
So, op die oomblik is die refresh goedkopere as n nuwe bike, dit was n groot dryf vir my dat hy weer meer modern lyk, die standard 1190 kleure lyk vir my nou al oud. My agter kant sal ek like om nog bietjie te laat anders lyk maar sal seker nie. Voor kant wil ek daai oranje KTM sticker met n wit een vervang op modderskerm en ek herkou nog of ek my handguards wil wit maak. My barkbusters is al redelik gekrap so ek sal like om dit te ruil vir nuwes, wittes.

Die oranje rubberised crashbars was al gekrap, so behalwe dat ek die swart meer like, sal ek die swart makliker in die toekoms kan op patch as ek hulle weer krap. Darm so bietjie method in die madness.

Oja, en hoe besiger n bike is hoe minder sien mens die merke, ek moet nog iets met die tank cover ook doen, of n nuwe een kry (IIRC in verkeerde kant van R3k though). Hy is ook sleg gekrap, swart verf wys merke te vining, dit was n dom besluit gewees toe ek hom swart maak

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #458 on: June 04, 2020, 09:55:12 am »
I haven't been updating much here lately.
I did not want to jinx it before the money was in my account. And it is still not but thought there could be some good inputs from the guys following here.

But first background:
On the last trip I had a few harder than normal falls, and broke the frame.
So, I have literally broken everything on this bike except for the frame, and I have told my wife before that the frame is the last weak link of the 2013 bike I am glad I haven't had to deal with. They were strengthened in 2014.
Well, I had that now. And I said screw that, insurance claim. Bike is totaled.
This afternoon I will be taking out the rotveiler intake and some more stuff before they fetch it. Its been a very tough decision, But its time to move on

I have been a chameleon on a smartiebox on what to do. Buy back, fix and sell or fix and abuse or fix and make it a road bike.
But I am a little tired of working on it, plus there is a mechanical lifter or something I can hear in the engine when its cold, and I do not want to work in the engine.

Anyhow, I sold the Harley as well so now I almost have an open budget on what to get next.

Did I mention smartiebox deurmekaar….
so where I have been going wrong with the bike is the once yearly trips to Lesotho. Its simply to big and gets abused to much. but that's once a year. I am perfectly willing to do the same with a 1290 or LC with Sport suspension as well. But I will then have to continue buying spares and fixing them up. Lets call that option 1
2 - 790R. This is my first option and probably what I will be doing. The problem is that I refuse to pay 200k for a 790 cc bike when I can get perfectly good 1290 2017 models as well as LC rally with sport suspencion 2017 for R170k class money. This is the issue, they need to become secondhand.
3 - get a 990 and ride it for a year or two and then get a 790. But call me hard headed, I am not paying 1190 class money for a 990. In my mind its the inferior bike, you wont convince me otherwise. But there is options out there to explore and to do this.
4 - I really like the triumph 900. They have more low down grunt now. Its slightly less technical than 790 but more touring ready, which fits my kind of riding better. It will require suspension work though and they are R215k new. reviews are great and I do like gadgets and something exceptional.

remember 1290/LC getting running repairs due to abuse will still be cheaper than the depreciation on a new bike.

oh and the frame break, just google ktm 1190 adventure frame break or crack, it should be one of the first pictures. I will put up more detail when the money is in my account

Online Roadhawg

« Reply #459 on: June 04, 2020, 12:37:12 pm »
I felt similarly to you regarding the 790.  It always felt like a downgrade from the 1290 and it wasn't like I was going to save any money.

My gut feeling is that you will destroy a Triumph pretty quickly the way you ride :laughing4: From initial reports the 900 is quite a bit "softer" than the 790.   But That was just one video.

The 900 looks good, but I feel like it's just a variation on a theme, rather than an actual game changer like the 790 is.