Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 23215 times)

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2017, 02:27:56 pm »
I took my Harley for a spin tonight...issues!
the 1190 has spoiled the fun I normally had on the Harley. it feels so slow now, I keep hitting the rev limiter!

so are you saying the Harley felt exciting after the 1200GS?  ;) ;D

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2017, 02:58:13 pm »
the 1190 has spoiled the fun I normally had on the Harley. it feels so slow now, I keep hitting the rev limiter!

uhmmm got me there

but lets put this into perspective
The 1190 in rain/offroad mode still has more power than the GS. (I think)
GS did have about 10hp more than Harley, but weighed probably about 30kg more. It was still faster (again I think)

I thought the Harley was faster than a 950 also, but philip smoked me, that thing had something like a powerband kick in!

I am busy looking at buying a cheap set of plastics for the 1190. So I can take mine off for when I sell it some day. Its 1050 panels but supposedly fits, that combined with a sticker kit should look awesome. But still deciding.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2017, 03:01:37 pm »

uhmmm got me there

but lets put this into perspective
The 1190 in rain/offroad mode still has more power than the GS. (I think)
GS did have about 10hp more than Harley, but weighed probably about 30kg more. It was still faster (again I think)

I thought the Harley was faster than a 950 also, but philip smoked me, that thing had something like a powerband kick in!

I am busy looking at buying a cheap set of plastics for the 1190. So I can take mine off for when I sell it some day. Its 1050 panels but supposedly fits, that combined with a sticker kit should look awesome. But still deciding.

1050, 1190, 1090 should all be identical so yeh.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2017, 07:22:08 pm »
Bike has about 25000km on now, bought at 21000km. I concidered leaving the filter check for after the next trip but then my spotlights stopped working.
So today I successfully took of the tank for the first time, not to shabby for a double lefty like me! Except that I forgot to close both petrol taps so spilled some petrol, but all good in the end.
I am happy that I opened up, I think the filter appreciated the clean up. I added some before, cleaned, and oiled photos. Oiling is always a concern to me, obviously one dont want to use to little oil, but then also to much oil can fould sensors.

After some heavy thinking I got the wiring of the spots sorted out, replaced a broken relay and made some modifications so that they turn off with ignition as well. But got lazy to also connect them with my brights as well. Maybe I will do that the coming weekend. I also connected my GPS to ignition power and everything is working fine now, I just need to solder and wrap everything up again. Currently its a mess.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2017, 08:00:36 pm »
those filters cleaned up nicely  :thumleft:

fok ek wens ek't nog so baie energie gehad  :o

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2017, 08:34:09 pm »
Lekker om maintenance self te doen, gee mens meer gemoedsrus en jy leer jou bike beter ken. 👍

Ek sukkel self met die uni filters, ook altyd bang ek sit te min olie op.  :imaposer:
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2017, 09:00:52 pm »
those filters cleaned up nicely  :thumleft:

fok ek wens ek't nog so baie energie gehad  :o

die skoonmaak darm redelik maklik. ek het hierdie goed jare terug al gekoop vir-ek-weet-nie-meer-wat-nie maar dit werk soos n bom
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:01:58 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2017, 07:02:01 pm »
Today we spend way to much time looking for a wire that connects to the headlight main beams and in the end left it for another day when I do want to strip the headlight and maybe upgrade the bulps.

My stepfather has a moto, if you struggle then strip further. I am not on his level yet but starting to realise it definitely has merits. Anyhow, spots and gps wiring is finalised for now and tyres changed.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:03:36 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2017, 05:23:14 am »
Cant sleep so thought I would update further.

We looked at the shaking GPS but couldnt immediately come up with a solution. Will somewhere in future make a proper plan not involving cable ties. It should be fine fror now. The solutions I have seen online uses the screw in the middel of the dash, add some spacers andr connects to the gps bracket, but I cant figure out how it attaches to the screw as mine does not go right through. I will edit a picture and add it later to explain.

Tyres.
I got tyres secondhand for a very good deal. But the rear was one profile narrower and higher. Feedrback I got was that this wont be an issue, but when I got back to the tyre shop they could net get it to bead. I saw it made a huuge gap and was fairly loose on the rim, so bought a heavy druty tube and went home. After allowing me to struggle first for a while on my own (I am to smart...had to find out why I should listen to the old men in the hard way it seems...) my stepfather again stepped up and helped with fitting that tube.
If he didnt he propably coukd have bought an 1190 R at a bargain! Last laugh is mine! What a hateful job! I thought I disliked tubes, I have no doubt left!

Tyre pressure sensor was removed and tube fitted all went a lot easier when some experience joined. Using that pole the old man could fit the tyre without any thre levers and no risk of pinching a tube. My little pump took forever to reach 3 bar to bead the tyre and all was fitted to the bike, after I declined an offer of removingy the tube again to revert back to tubeless as the thre has had some opportunity to open up again. I take it it is possible the insides of a tyre coukd have bended a little closer together if it has been laying for a while maybe with some weight on it?

I havent finished completely refitting all fairings, but I am really looking forward to seeing my bike complete with the knobbies. And not just a little worried about bottoming out the rear with the higher profile tyre. Tomorrow I will also increase the slow compression on the rear as well to mitigate a little of that risk.

On another topic, where does one buy different springs for the shocks? I am considering doing the upgrade myself. R5k sounds a lot better than a possible R15k (guessing, I have no quotes yet)

Edit...pic of gos mount cable tied and old vs new tyre bead gap. No way bead would seat like that (I got the tyres secondhand, two rear tyres were part of the deal)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:48:53 am by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2017, 12:55:00 pm »
I have really been looking forward to seeing knobbies on my bike, so can say I am super pleased.

Now my bike is sorted and ready for the coming trip, 12 days left to sort route and other random stuff. We are going to have to carry additional petrol as well so I need to look at that. I havent tested my 12V socket on the bike yet so I need to look at battery power also (need to run tracking app for certification as well). Then there is food, possibly sleeping bag and so on.

I would have preferred doing a shakedown run before the big one, but I am on standby this weekend so no luck.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2017, 01:04:20 pm »
for extra power points, also consider that there is one switched and one unswitched connector at the rear of the bike - easily accessible

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2017, 01:38:31 pm »
for extra power points, also consider that there is one switched and one unswitched connector at the rear of the bike - easily accessible

What do you mean switched vs unswitched?
I thought both of those work with ignition, one 1 amp and other 10 amp? I am currently using the 1amp outlet to power the relay for the spotlights and to charge the GPS. Or am I talking about something different?

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2017, 01:44:54 pm »

I thought both of those work with ignition, one 1 amp and other 10 amp? I am currently using the 1amp outlet to power the relay for the spotlights and to charge the GPS. Or am I talking about something different?

nope

Front and rear you have ACC1 and ACC2

ACC1=unswitched=10A
ACC2=switched=1A

switched=ON when IGN is ON

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2017, 01:53:39 pm »
Daars maar net iets moois aan n knobbly op n bike... :thumleft:

I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2017, 02:11:58 pm »

nope

Front and rear you have ACC1 and ACC2

ACC1=unswitched=10A
ACC2=switched=1A

switched=ON when IGN is ON

Thanks Bundu. So I got it right by being lucky

Daars maar net iets moois aan n knobbly op n bike... :thumleft:

Ja dit hoort mos so! :)

Offline Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2017, 03:03:21 pm »
I'd love to hear what you think of the Pirellis. I like the look of em but was worried about them being too thin.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2017, 08:21:11 am »
I'd love to hear what you think of the Pirellis. I like the look of em but was worried about them being too thin.

11 days to big mileage then I should be able to give proper feedback, or at least give feedback on how much they have worn.
Currently my thinking is that the very agressive front will be good for the weak rims. I like deflating on gravel, riding at about 1.5 to 1.8 bar, but the front is especialy very agressive, so I think I will do the trip at 2 bar. If I still bend rims at that pressure it will be shocking, not even a VStrom I have owned with cast alloys had issues at 2 bar.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2017, 10:24:23 pm »
Daai voorrim het klaar n nare hou weg!! :eek7:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2017, 09:01:35 am »
Daai voorrim het klaar n nare hou weg!! :eek7:

Haha dit was nie so erg nie, lyk nou net baie erg na ek hom met n hammer bygekom het op daai rim tape.

Ek het daai hou sommer op eerste grondpad geslaan. Hom toe met n plankie en hammer probeer reg kry, niks beter, toe met n rubber hammer en niks beter. het toe maar heelwat gaan oplees en gesien ek sal daai rim elkgeval moet vervang. Maar hy verloor toe nogsteeds seker so 0.15bar n dag. Wel....toe dink ek skroef dit en kom hom ordentlik by met n hammer sonder hout of rubber of strond. Nou verloor hy so 0.05bar n dag, hy moet werk kan nie net wil mooi lyk nie.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2017, 12:01:07 pm »
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=13c7258e73f55f30b6

For those following the thread and interested can follow our Dustybutt ride with the link. 5am tomorrow morning it will start to track our progress as we attempt to do 2500km in 36hrs on gravel.

The time is finally here for our big ride, I am super excited!