Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 29332 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #220 on: August 20, 2017, 05:47:08 pm »
How much are BarkBuster and Cycra compared to the Highway Dirt Bike setup?

HDB is best you can buy.......... period!

But the full one(strong) for tech riding is expensive

Black option of this is what i want

I really wanted this. But o ly know of chris bringing them in, they dont have and old prices were something like r2500 plis r750 each for mirrors.
So thats a lot plus a long lead time.
Insurance need to replace OEM so I will see if I can somehow maybe use their money as a boost to get these. Holding thumbs.
Know of anyone else stocking these or bringing them in?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Renrew

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Fcuk’em
« Reply #221 on: August 20, 2017, 06:17:56 pm »
Cycra Probend CRM Ultra are about R3700 a pair. The HDB is much stronger but looks really outdated. I had a set and have the Cycras on all my bikes.

Just remember that if you fall with these bikes, or even just tip over, they WILL move most of the time and/or bend. The Enduro bikes it makes sense because they can take the weight of the enduro bike.

The mirrors on the HDB are also crappy.
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #222 on: August 20, 2017, 08:18:02 pm »
I got the quotation for a full 30k km service, need some advice...

do I need to pay the almost R1500 for the 4 KTM spark plugs?
2x NGK LKAR9BI9 and 2x LMAR7A-9

And I have read a lot on cleaning the petrol filters yourself and re-using, is this advised? I do intend to fit a pre filter.

5 hours of labour comes to R2k as well, hopefully that also ends up being less.

Oh and also, what suggestions do you guys have for handguards? I do not like the look of the Cycra or of the orange KTM powerparts ones. Currently I am thinking of getting Barkbusters. Good or bad idea? Yesterday I saw a pic of SW motech Cobra as well which looked nice, I am just not to sure on how strong they are, I know nothing about them actually.
Martin, I followed this method to clean my filters. It does work, is cheap, and will take you no more than an hour.

http://blog.guglatech.it/en/articles/2014/12/05/ktm-99011901290-rc8-fuel-pump-filter-checkingcleaning

I did however fit a new pump O-ring and cable tied the holding brackets on the pump whilst I had it out.

You don't need to remove the tank or lay the bike on its side. I did mine when the tank was full, and simply drained the fuel in the pump side of the tank by placing a funnel into a jerry can, and placing the jerry can under the tank and allowing the fuel to drain.

If you are going to fit the pre-filter, it is recommended that you at least clean your filter as mentioned in the blog entry linked above.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 08:19:34 pm by ChristiaanJ »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2017, 01:54:30 pm »
Christiaan I cant open the link now at work, but is it to clean the standard filters or the guglatech ones?

On the sparkplugs...
None of the local parts stores has them, don't even list them. I got hold of Tracmac where their supplier is out of stock on the one and the others are R470 each. That means I can just as well buy from KTM.

At the moment I am waiting for them to finish assessing and then quote for the repairs on my bike. Then I will see what is my options after the insurance replies.

I am currently completely bike-less at home. Not a happy thought!

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2017, 02:04:23 pm »
It is a guide to clean your existing filters.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #225 on: September 05, 2017, 10:23:34 am »
Thought I would update my thread, I have been getting lonely lately....

So insurance will pay out, except for excess. Seems like hitting a rock and ending up in the bushes does not count as third party involvement.
Anyhow, major thing with that money is to replace the front rim with the new Akront rim, cant wait to get back to tubeless.

On the KTM to do list:
Replace front rim
Fix steering damper, don't know what was up but it was completely loose, since they are charging R1500 for the fixing I am guessing they will be opening it up, so now they can change to thicker oil while they busy, upgrade I have been meaning to do for a while
Complete 30k km service, plus extra oil filters for next service I will do myself, at R190 a filter its a bargain, also plus brake fluid change, mine is very dark.
Replace front wheel mudguard, it broke as well on impact. (little break)
Replace that small panel or plastic around hooter, cheap at R185

For myself when I get the bike back I will source and fit foldable mirrors and Barkbuster handguards. I don't like the looks of Cycra. I just cant decide between black or white.

Offline armpump

« Reply #226 on: September 06, 2017, 08:02:57 am »
Black shows less marks when you let it lie down........... and you know it will at some stage:)

Offline armpump

« Reply #227 on: September 06, 2017, 08:21:59 am »
I recon the round option is what i want to get as hand guards do not offer enough space to flip the arrow inwards and leave enough space for levers.

Offline Jackol.

« Reply #228 on: September 06, 2017, 03:30:37 pm »
Subscribe, with Manic on this thread it is almost like comedy central.   :imaposer:

Nice report Molten. Good luck! you are a very dedicated man to keep updating this thread.  I honestly think that anyone considering a 2013 1190r should read this thread. He will have a clear understanding of exactly what can go wrong as well as what type of abuse he needed for that thing to go wrong!!! Everyone should write a report like this on their bike... :thumleft: Or maybe not...  :pot:
Time wait for no man

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #229 on: September 07, 2017, 10:07:08 am »
Subscribe, with Manic on this thread it is almost like comedy central.   :imaposer:

Nice report Molten. Good luck! you are a very dedicated man to keep updating this thread.  I honestly think that anyone considering a 2013 1190r should read this thread. He will have a clear understanding of exactly what can go wrong as well as what type of abuse he needed for that thing to go wrong!!! Everyone should write a report like this on their bike... :thumleft: Or maybe not...  :pot:

Wellllll the bike will defibitely not sell on this forum someday!
My GS's went through similar abuse and the consequent issues. I always thoight I should have kept track then so this time I am doing it. And also getting good inouts advice in the process.

So, back to modding my bike...
I read on facebook, some guy took the oxford heated grip and cut of the controller before connecting directly to the bikes heated grip wiring. Anyone kbow about this? Is it possible? Where is the bike heated grip outlet plug? It would be nice to simplify the wiring a bit.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:25:02 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline armpump

« Reply #230 on: September 07, 2017, 10:57:55 am »
Behind headlight

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2017, 09:49:07 am »
Update:
Parts finally arrived at KTM! something about them not stocking much anymore and having to import most. Anyhow, everything except for the new front rim, the most important bit! The ETA on the rim is the 20th of Oct.

But I am tired of being without a bike, I will be fetching it next weekend sorted or not, serviced or not. Missing my bike.....

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #232 on: October 02, 2017, 08:01:48 am »
Finally got my bike back!

Thought I would share my first experience with KTM services...
So parts took fairly long to arrive imo, but one can live with that. New rim did not come though, its on back order, so I am still stuck with a hateful tube in the front rim.
They were told repeatedly that I would be fetching my bike this Saturday, so I got there and all is well except its not washed. The shavings from helicoil still on the bike but I accept and move on. but then when I wanted to leave I see they have not changed the brake fluid, mine was pretty bad and it had to be done. So they say they will quickly do it, 10minutes turns into 30min with my wife waiting and fuming in the car and they suddenly deciding that for the R16k I spend I should at least get a wash also. I stop the wash half way and we leave. Me not to happy but I will let it fly.

Oh, and another thing, initially I did not want them to change my sparkplugs, but after a week or so contacted them and told them to change them, they never changed the job card. SO the bike was completely stripped for valve clearances but spark plugs not done. They did promise me a good deal on labour next time I get there but that doesn't help me much, I will only be going back in 30k km or if something breaks.

Oh, and in closing my semi-rant to get it all of my chest, the chain was also not oiled.... it is not an issue but with the amount of money I spend I would expect premium service, I got better service from BMW doing R2k services.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #233 on: October 02, 2017, 08:09:00 am »
Finally got my bike back!

Thought I would share my first experience with KTM services...
So parts took fairly long to arrive imo, but one can live with that. New rim did not come though, its on back order, so I am still stuck with a hateful tube in the front rim.
They were told repeatedly that I would be fetching my bike this Saturday, so I got there and all is well except its not washed. The shavings from helicoil still on the bike but I accept and move on. but then when I wanted to leave I see they have not changed the brake fluid, mine was pretty bad and it had to be done. So they say they will quickly do it, 10minutes turns into 30min with my wife waiting and fuming in the car and they suddenly deciding that for the R16k I spend I should at least get a wash also. I stop the wash half way and we leave. Me not to happy but I will let it fly.

Oh, and another thing, initially I did not want them to change my sparkplugs, but after a week or so contacted them and told them to change them, they never changed the job card. SO the bike was completely stripped for valve clearances but spark plugs not done. They did promise me a good deal on labour next time I get there but that doesn't help me much, I will only be going back in 30k km or if something breaks.

Oh, and in closing my semi-rant to get it all of my chest, the chain was also not oiled.... it is not an issue but with the amount of money I spend I would expect premium service, I got better service from BMW doing R2k services.

Fucking hell, for 16k I would be livid.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #234 on: October 02, 2017, 08:10:54 am »
so on to nicer matters! That picture actually turned out like that per chance. I had no effects or anything in place. I like it.

As part of the stuff done I had them replace the ABS sensor on the rear as well. So far so good and no MTC failure or any other failure. This coming weekend there is the Kalahari Bike challenge in Upington where I will test the offroad traction control in sand a bit which will have the error return if it is still there. Guess we will see.

Still enjoying my bike big time! there is literally nothing I would want to replace it with, and very little I would still replace on it. (Except foldable mirrors and barkbusters! I will be ordering now! almost forgot again)
I know a 1290R is awesome, but imagine falling with it into bushes, scratching your R230k bike up....no thanks. My bike is my pride but it still needs to function as an adventure bike.

Offline armpump

« Reply #235 on: October 02, 2017, 08:18:25 am »
Care to give a break down on costs please.

Offline Renrew

• Fcuk’em
« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2017, 08:28:26 am »
Jesus I would have gone totally mental.

Unfortunately KTM dealers (and that counts for most KTM dealers) don’t have enforced service standards across the board like BMW. You can go to any BMW and know you’ll get a good service most of thr time, irrespective of whether you’re a big spender there.

With KTM, only relationships and money make them notice you enough to give you good service.

I would have insisted that they finish the job, wave the labour and just fetched the bike the next weekend. Only through nailing poor service will the industry change. It’s your duty!  ;D
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2017, 08:38:01 am »
Jesus I would have gone totally mental.

Unfortunately KTM dealers (and that counts for most KTM dealers) don’t have enforced service standards across the board like BMW. You can go to any BMW and know you’ll get a good service most of thr time, irrespective of whether you’re a big spender there.

With KTM, only relationships and money make them notice you enough to give you good service.

I would have insisted that they finish the job, wave the labour and just fetched the bike the next weekend. Only through nailing poor service will the industry change. It’s your duty!  ;D

Its 400km for me. The other option is Klerksdorp KTM also 400km. Which is why I will be doing as much as possible of the stuff myself.

My stepfather says I should have them send a technician to Kathu. He was once unhappy with a service by Harley Davidson in Jhb, the next morning when he woke up in Kimberley their service truck was waiting to sort out the issues. Old school customer care that!

I am considering sending the owner a mail, just give a quick factual run down on my experience. But I cant gain much except raising my blood pressure. I still have to get my wheel back to them for relacing of the new rim, so they will still be getting a lot of remarks wrt the service I got.

Unrelated, activating the self cancelling indicators is R540! that's crazy, but not only that the whole concept is wrong. My 2008 GS had it. My 2005 Harley sportster with no ABS, no electronics actually, has it. I refuse to pay for it. I am used to having it so its a big pain to me.

Offline Renrew

• Fcuk’em
« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2017, 08:47:51 am »
Write the owner an email - If he is worth his salt he will not only address the issue but compensate you in some way for the inconvenience.

That’s the only way these okes will learn.
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline armpump

« Reply #239 on: October 02, 2017, 08:50:46 am »
Self cancelling is a "extra" at factory level much like 1290's additional functions need to be unlocked

Probably be able to find some hack on internet