Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 30413 times)

Offline armpump

Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #340 on: February 26, 2018, 03:49:52 pm »
Google pipe end caps and take cover with to press fit........... i realise you a little far out so might struggle a little.

Offline armpump

« Reply #341 on: February 26, 2018, 03:55:15 pm »

The following users thanked this post: m0lt3n

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #342 on: March 13, 2018, 12:43:23 pm »
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=221917.0;topicseen

Busy with my latest ride report.

Went a bit extreme but the bike took it very well. I am very happy. There is nothing on the market I would like to replace it with. Even if given a R100 or R200k to spend at KTM I will still walk away with an 1190.

First order of business will be replacing a bolt on my bashplate which fell out. this is the one my favorite stealership had to drill out and fit a helicoil. They had a long list of stuff to do, not many of the items they did that have not popped up again now. They botched just about EVERYTHING.
Never mind, I will be fixing it all myself.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline DJLSteenkamp

« Reply #343 on: March 13, 2018, 01:30:05 pm »
Jy moet bike reg kry vir volgende week. Sal jou bietjie KZN gaan wys.
When in doubt, flat out!!!

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #344 on: March 13, 2018, 01:53:46 pm »
You are a crazy man you know this right? :biggrin:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #345 on: March 13, 2018, 02:26:07 pm »
Jy moet bike reg kry vir volgende week. Sal jou bietjie KZN gaan wys.

jy verstaan nie hoe graag sal ek Jogstrap pas ook daar saam Henk hul wil doen in Lesotho nie. Na hom is daar nie veel moeilike passe oor om te doen nie. nog net Vanzyls pas.
En KZN sou ook lekker wees, sal bietjie vroulief begin sag maak...

You are a crazy man you know this right? :biggrin:

Just slightly, the capabilities of these big bikes is still beyond what we are capable off. Just wish I was a better rider to explore the limits better

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #346 on: May 15, 2018, 08:48:26 am »
I have been getting lazy to update tale...

So not much happening. I replaced the tailbag. From the beginning I thought that I liked the black Kaoko more so when I tore the current khaki one it was a good oportunity to replace it. Plus a GSA I have been fixing up for selling did not have any bag or boxes on so I could utilize it there.
And then I also replaced the rear tyre.

Still have to replace the heated grip I tore the wires off. The oxfords had a big price increase from r1200 to r1900 so I was super stoked to come right on Ebay for r450 replacing only the one grip. (Arrived in 15 days! But still need to see if it fit)

The reason for sorting the heated grip:  We have a Lesotho trip due in June!!!! Whoopee, going with Losper so really looking forward to that. Also going to do Jogstrap which have been a pass I wanted to try out for a while now.

But it will also be cold which brought my attention to something else that needs upgrading. My starter.
Guys, don't buy a 2013 1190, if I haven't said so yet, I am saying so now.

I have the weak SM17 starter, they were updated in 2014. I called KTM and they charge R5600 for a new SM13, I managed to find a second hand one for R2500. Really looking forward to fitting it, got a reminder this morning with a struggling cold start that this would have been a real trip spoiler for me.

Other than that, still to do for the trip is replace that bolt on the bash plate that fell out and I have a feeling my neck bearings need tightening again.

I guess its a good thing I still love the bike with all the money its eating up.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:59:20 am by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #347 on: May 22, 2018, 03:27:15 pm »
currently busy installing the upgraded starter. had the SM17 and changing it out for the SM13.

but the more I read the more I worry. Seems like I need to loosen the engine completely so that it will tilt forward to allow access to the starter. Not very excited, but have to do it.
Already finished stripping so next up is the engine! hold thumbs!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:29:09 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #348 on: May 22, 2018, 03:41:36 pm »
I either missed, or totally forgot that you had a Rottweiller/ITG installed.

Still tempted to get one.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #349 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:08 am »
I either missed, or totally forgot that you had a Rottweiller/ITG installed.

Still tempted to get one.

Yeah got it for a good price so couldn't resist.
cant say there is much of a difference. I didn't have much of a heating issue before or dust in take. So I just took it as insurance and because I am long past being reasonable with money spend on the bike. Wont get my investment back so will have to USE it properly for a while, so can just as well throw everything at it, everything WRT upgrades and WRT trips/rides/bundu bashing

Update:
Heated grips are sorted, works nicely on the OBC now, no more Oxford controller on the handlebars and less wiring in general which I like. The reason for this swop out was because the grips came loose. I glued them in place with Cantact adhesive, that yellow stuff, but I am still concerned that its not the correct choice of glue. Will have to see....
Worked a bit more on getting that starter installed yesterday, sweared a little more at KTM as a bolt on the bash plate stripped and sweared a little more in general because its a proper PITA to do the starter swop out...

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #350 on: May 23, 2018, 10:26:06 pm »
Seeing as you've changed everything on this bike....Ever replaced the actual chain slider on the swingarm?   Mine seems to be at the limit....Any idea what it costs? Looks fairly DIYable.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #351 on: May 24, 2018, 07:54:00 am »
Update:
Damn getting that starter out is a mission. There is a T30 bolt that is very difficult to access. It seems like I will have to take off the complete air intake and throttle bodies as well to gain access. Very slow progress and my time is running out.

Seeing as you've changed everything on this bike....Ever replaced the actual chain slider on the swingarm?   Mine seems to be at the limit....Any idea what it costs? Looks fairly DIYable.
Actually read a discussion on this recently. Seems like there is still a lot of the chain guide left even when it gets to the wear limit as per the manual. As I understand it wears fast to that limit and then almost stops wearing at all.
I plan to do maybe another 5k km or so before changing the chain guide along with the chain and sprockets. Then I will be at 35000km

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #352 on: May 24, 2018, 08:16:49 am »
Update:
Damn getting that starter out is a mission. There is a T30 bolt that is very difficult to access. It seems like I will have to take off the complete air intake and throttle bodies as well to gain access. Very slow progress and my time is running out.

Actually read a discussion on this recently. Seems like there is still a lot of the chain guide left even when it gets to the wear limit as per the manual. As I understand it wears fast to that limit and then almost stops wearing at all.
I plan to do maybe another 5k km or so before changing the chain guide along with the chain and sprockets. Then I will be at 35000km

Yeah I also read that.  I just wanna go do a Sani trip in june and don't want to be stressing about it the whole time, so I'll see how much the part is anyway, and take a good look this weekend.

That new starter should be worth it man. I know my bike frigging jumps to life compared to the old one I had.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #353 on: May 31, 2018, 08:16:08 am »
ITS ALIVE!!!!!!

Starts up like a champ!

But damn I had a hard time doing this DIY! I will elaborate later, but for now I am considering replacing coolant while the bike is still stripped and I have to top up.

I seem to remember big discussions on what is the correct coolant to use, can anyone help with the right choice or spec that should be available in a small town midas?

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #354 on: May 31, 2018, 08:24:32 am »
ITS ALIVE!!!!!!

Starts up like a champ!

But damn I had a hard time doing this DIY! I will elaborate later, but for now I am considering replacing coolant while the bike is still stripped and I have to top up.

I seem to remember big discussions on what is the correct coolant to use, can anyone help with the right choice or spec that should be available in a small town midas?

(Ek sal maar Ingels antwoord)

When buying anti freeze for a modern engine, just make sure that it states on the bottle that it is "silicate free". Something like the Castrol pre-mix/ready mix should do the job.

This is a general statement. Not sure if KTM has some specific requirement on this
Born to be Mild

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #355 on: May 31, 2018, 09:07:18 am »
ITS ALIVE!!!!!!

Starts up like a champ!

I would imagine as long as you replace all of the coolant, then it does not matter too much as long as it's a decent one.  I know KTM use the Motorex 3.0 or 5.0 (something like that) at some point they changed between the 2.

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #356 on: June 04, 2018, 09:27:36 am »
Kathu Midas verkoop Toyota antifreeze.

Dis die beste!! :ricky: :ricky:
Groete
Philip Kuhn
tel: 0824155625
Email: philipskuhn@gmail.com

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #357 on: June 12, 2018, 10:41:15 am »

Losper made this clip of our ride this weekend, I am adding it here as an explanation as tonwhy I will be asking how to repair a lot of stuff soon...

Actually my bike performed well. The issues Ibhad was caused by me. I again lost the bolts on my bash plate (my slip up not using thread loc even though I had them real tight) also lost a bash plate bracket that will be toigh to source.
Ibalso had an engine error code intermittently.  4 long and 5 short which is the lambda sensor which is also me...I was very rough with that wire when installing the starter.
I also broke one panel and added a lot more character in the ahape of scratches. Really going to need that sticker kit soon.

Other than my own poor riding skills and poorer DIY skills I am very happy with how my bike performed.

I havent washed it yet so there may still be some surprises lurking.

And yes a smaller bike would be better, but then the trip would not have happened as I rode the 700km there and back, mostly at night.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #358 on: June 13, 2018, 08:29:02 am »
That all just looks like flipping hard work :biggrin:   

I prefer the nice calm dirt passes in Lesotho with a slightly steep, slightly loose climb now and then, I'll stick to that I reckon haha.

Offline Renrew

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #359 on: June 13, 2018, 08:46:29 am »
Molten jou verhale van skade maak my oe bitter seer!

Maar goeie werk, niks beter as om n lekker bike lekker hard te ry.

Tot dit tyd is vir die herstelwerk periode...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W