Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 25576 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #420 on: July 04, 2019, 08:34:29 am »
A little of topic but I am proud of this.

I have had this trailer for a while now, helps when the family goes on vacation then I can take the bike with or when I need to be recovered (flat tyres or Harley issues).
But it started rusting and the mudguard broke or tore out of the frame. So we started with refurbishing it. Fixed and strengthened the trailer, added tie down points (it was very dodgy with two big bikes loaded). Then sand blasted, painted, new wiring and now its as good as new.
It would look better with black rims but I am now tired of dumping money on it while its mostly just parked underneath a tree.

Very happy with the result
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 08:39:15 am by m0lt3n »
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #421 on: July 05, 2019, 12:18:13 pm »
Now that is a new trailer! Well done.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #422 on: August 18, 2019, 08:23:44 pm »
I fitted the MotoZ!
But not really impressed so far, they really do look the business, but  I think they are extra slippery on normal gravel. Havent tested them much yet. We did go on one trip, quick outride which turned into a flop again. Front flat tyre, twice. First one I was expecting, there was a patch on the tube, but the second one I don't u derstand. Don't care either. Managed to find some excel rims secondhand on wild dogs (pretty spotless, very happy) and hoping to have some better luck on that front.

OH, also got a flat on the rear. If was very weird initially, I was checking it on the tyre pressure sensor and it deflated pretty quick. Was impressed with the bike's electronics. The flat tyre warning wasn't activated at certain pressure but rather by rapid deflating. Initially couldn't find the reason for deflating on my rear tubeless until I heard a sudden release of pressure. Turned out the MotoZ is harder or something and an old smiley on the rear leaked. We werend home but fortunately some random dude in a bakkie had a proper hammer to sort that out.

But while the rear its an easy decision to replace the front with an Excell, tubed, the rear have been pretty solid so far. I am not to keen on losing my rear tubeless also. Will be putting that extra rear Excell on the shelf for now and see...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #423 on: August 18, 2019, 08:37:03 pm »
Should have checked my km reading for reference purposes later. Think I am around 38000km now.
Anyhow, stripped up to clean the air filter. Still a crap job but I have the hang of it mostly by now. Air filter very dirty and a mission to clean, but airbox spotless so very happy with that. First time I am cleaning the Rotveiler intake, so there was a little bit of worry in the back of my mind on how it did, if it sealed properly. So very happy to see all was good.

I also broke this inner fairing on the left hand side on a previous Lesotho trip. Will be replacing that soon. We are planning to do the Ben 10 challenge soon. Just wanted that out of the way then hope to clean, repair and rim tape some stuff. Get my bike tip top again.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #424 on: August 18, 2019, 10:56:17 pm »
If you ever chuck that Rottweiler system for whatever reason, I want the base plate ok?

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
« Reply #425 on: August 18, 2019, 11:15:43 pm »
If you ever chuck that Rottweiler system for whatever reason, I want the base plate ok?

Ok  :thumleft:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #426 on: August 19, 2019, 07:31:33 am »

Haha don't see that happening but will keep you in mind. I actually got it with an additional new filter. So there is still a lot of life there...

Did this just in time I think, I have a race with a 1290 setup sometime. Really interested in seeing what happens. Just not sure of me, the rider. Racing a bike isn't easy, I am not a wheelie king.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #427 on: August 19, 2019, 09:05:17 am »
Cool.

The filter seems to just be an ITG unit so it may be cheaper buying replacements from them direct.  I tried to order just the baseplate from Rottweiller, but they're smarter than that and wouldnt sell it on its own haha :biggrin:

Much easier solution on the 990s as the baseplate is flat. Can just make one up, but the 1X90s are all 3D shaped.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #428 on: August 19, 2019, 09:32:15 am »
Cool.

The filter seems to just be an ITG unit so it may be cheaper buying replacements from them direct.  I tried to order just the baseplate from Rottweiller, but they're smarter than that and wouldnt sell it on its own haha :biggrin:

Much easier solution on the 990s as the baseplate is flat. Can just make one up, but the 1X90s are all 3D shaped.

Oh yeah. the ITG branding is on mine as well. Its washable and showing no wear at the moment so I shouldn't need to spend any money on that soon. Except on filter cleaner spray. I finish a half a bottle at a time to clean it!

Will see if I can take some after pics, I left it outside to dry, not yet back in the bike.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #429 on: August 26, 2019, 09:08:05 am »
Cool.

Oh yeah. the ITG branding is on mine as well. Its washable and showing no wear at the moment so I shouldn't need to spend any money on that soon. Except on filter cleaner spray. I finish a half a bottle at a time to clean it!

Will see if I can take some after pics, I left it outside to dry, not yet back in the bike.

promised pic of that filter after cleaning.
I use the filter cleaner spray and hot water...burning my hands normally so don't particularly enjoy it.
Do think I can hear a louder induction noise now after cleaning.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:09:02 am by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #430 on: August 26, 2019, 09:25:43 am »
went for a shakedown ride yesterday. To see if everything is fine after the half service and to evaluate the new front rim...
Also had to see if everything is tight and no rattles, I had to put an insert in place on one of the bashplate mounts which was stripped.

And whoever remembers my KTM dealership experience, the helicoil they fitted, I thought was the one thing they managed well.....evidently was also a fail. At least its solid now. I am really not looking forward to sending my bike for the next valve clearances checkup.

Anyhow, bike performed well. front wheel performed well. Rear didn't!
I did a short ride 3 weeks ago after fitting the MotoZ and it was a fail. An old smiley on the rim suddenly started leaking badly with that new tyre and it was an issue. Sorted it with an hammer. this trip we were planning a quick and far ride to Putsonderwater for the day. About 600km, mostly gravel, plan was to be back for lunch. Well, we were pushing hard when I had a very hard shot on the rear, doing about 120 I was thrown probably more than 45 degrees skew, fortunately the speed also pulled me straight. I just thought damn that was close when I got the puncture warning...

pic 1 shows the MotoZ did not take it well. From there on I had to inflate every 7km for a total of 80km before reaching Groblershoop and a strong compressor. I was about to attempt putting a plug in there when I noticed the tyre wasn't leaking but the beading against the rim. That slight smiley was again enough to cause a leak. Borrowed a hammer, again, and went home.

Question: would my Excel rim fare better? I want to swop now, but I am wondering if a shot like that wont still pinch the tube and I would be sitting with a flat anyhow? Tyre was at 1.9 bar when it took that hit btw.

We rode back on the Transnet service route, nice with lots of sand. I need to fine tune my suspension setup though, at 100kmph the bike is solid in sand, I actually sit through most. but at 110 its super unstable and tankslaps at the slightest notion of sand. Gave me a proper workout keeping it there.
Met the Sishen Saldanha train on its way to Saldanha. Took a video, its a solid 6.5minutes before that train passes!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:26:55 am by m0lt3n »

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #431 on: August 26, 2019, 09:49:31 am »
Shit, I never go lower than 2bar, usually about 2.4, but then I'm not riding as hard as you do, and try to avoid sand like the plague :biggrin:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #432 on: August 26, 2019, 11:06:39 am »
Shit, I never go lower than 2bar, usually about 2.4, but then I'm not riding as hard as you do, and try to avoid sand like the plague :biggrin:

Well, I am slowly being convinced that I have to man up and stay above 2 bar as well. I just hate it, the bike feels a lot more unstable with hard tyres on gravel. a lot less grip. But I find myself going faster and faster, with the bike taking harder and harder shots so guessing its time.
Was watching the review of the 790 over the weekend, bouncing all over with them pushing the expension, and I was wondering what pressure they run and what those rims look like.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
« Reply #433 on: August 26, 2019, 04:46:44 pm »
With the stock rims, if you go lower than 2bar, you WILL damage the rims. On my very first ride with this bike, before it even had 800km on the clock, I lost the front rim....

Never again. I keep tar pressures on all my bikes now when doing offroad.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=125301.0

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #434 on: September 13, 2019, 01:05:12 pm »
I finally did a trip again!
And still love the bike! No tyre drama for me, but kept it at 2.2 bar so will take that as the new norm.

Here is my RR
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=240796.0

Only issue I had was a flattery. Or I assume its the battery, its the worst electric issues yet, or best yet depending how you look at it cause the MTC and ABS failure just had me enjoy the bike more than ever. New battery should be here today or Monday, previous one lasted 2 years. Motobatt. Would have preferred to try something else, I don't consider 2 years good, but Trac-Mac just have awesome service and fast delivery so sticking with that for convenience.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #435 on: September 13, 2019, 01:07:47 pm »
Some pictures from the RR

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2019, 09:47:58 am »
Interested to hear if the battery sorts everything out.  These bikes are pretty voltage sensitive, but isn't it strange that it started fine but had all those errors?

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #437 on: September 16, 2019, 11:44:07 am »
Interested to hear if the battery sorts everything out.  These bikes are pretty voltage sensitive, but isn't it strange that it started fine but had all those errors?

I think it has something to do with how low the voltage dips whilst starting - that low voltage seems to confuse the ECU's

I've checked my battery voltage whilst starting and it sometimes (depending how cold the engine is) drops as low as 9V on my fairly new battery, so on an older battery it could be quite a bit lower - also, as below, when starting the bike in gear, pulls the voltage down more

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:45:13 am by Bundu »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #438 on: September 16, 2019, 11:52:51 am »
Interesting stuff Bundu. when it still worked I also saw voltage drop to around 10V, lower than what I can remember it going to.
I do believe if I still had my old starter in the bike it would not have started.

Still waiting for my new battery, hopefully it arrives today.

Anyone know a KTM shop that actually answers emails and willing to send parts by Postnet? I would like to start getting my bike tip top again

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #439 on: September 17, 2019, 08:32:14 am »
okay.
I have had big issues with the bike and generally was still positive.
This time I am not, the other things I broke, this is not my fault. The battery did not sort out the cluster!

50% chance I will have to replace the complete speedo cluster/head unit.
I will strip and check for a loose connection this afternoon and see what I find. Just maybe I am lucky. My front assembly does still have to much play so maybe the extra movement disconnected something, I will see if I can address that as well.

I did have for the first time ever some moisture inside the speedo after previous wash and shortly after my errors started popping up. Didn't think much of it at the time.

There is a number of cluster failures on the net, I was just hoping I could skip this one.