Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018  (Read 18054 times)

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
Re: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2017, 03:35:59 pm »
Good afternoon everyone. At last here is the fotos of the desert race, sorry for the delay!

Thanks for the fotos Donovan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2017, 04:04:48 pm »
This past weekend we had a nice little race as part of the Askham boere sport, about 170kms North of Upington

I rode the rally bike there the morning, was a very nice 3 degrees.

The race consistd of 8 laps of about 8kms, through typical Kalahari dunes. The rally bike took some man handling, but ended up in 4th place after Bernard, who is one of young guns that is becomming seriously fast, and the 2 Mocke brothers.

The ride back was good liason training, and I decided to send most of my cold weather gear back with Kelvin, so by the time I arrived back home i was shivering like something that was poisoned!

This weekend I will start prepairing for the next national off road at Harrismith on the 29th of July. This will be the last one I race, as Idont want to take chances closer to Dakar time. The plan is to do the Harrismith race with the rally bike, partly to get more seat time with the bike, but also by riding thenrally bike I am automatically out of contention, so no reason to take chances. My only objective will be to finish, and try to make the time bar.

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2017, 04:11:24 pm »
Congrats to Donnovan van den Langeberg en Gerry van der Byl on getting their competitors letters from ASO! I am really excited that we will take on this adventure together.
Sorry for Ryan Bland, you will get the necessary experience according to there criteria, and go to Dakar. You have the right stuff!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2017, 07:16:03 am »
Thanks for the update Willem! Man, you make that bike of yours look freaking tiny. ;D

Its awesome news about Donny & Gerry! :hello2:

I heard David Thomas also entered Dakar, do you know?

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Rokie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2017, 10:38:48 am »
Congrats to Donnovan van den Langeberg en Gerry van der Byl on getting their competitors letters from ASO! I am really excited that we will take on this adventure together.

Yea! A strong SA field to support during those first 2 weeks of Jan 2018!!

I'm hooked already! BlueBull, I think it is time to start the Dakar 2018 thread!!
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)

Offline TinusBez

« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2017, 06:24:58 am »
All the best Willem.
KTM: 500 EXC-F current
KTM: 1190 Adv R Sold
Sweat dries, blood clots and bones heal, Suck it up princess

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2017, 05:24:55 pm »
This past weekend me and Hentie did the 5th round of the national off roads in Harrismith.
Friday morning we had the usual early start, arriving at the dsp at 05:00. Only this time it was freezing cold, -3 to be exact!
The time trial started at 07:00 and i think at that time it might have been even colder. It was only 16kms but by the end of it I couldnt feel my hands. When you hold the exhaust you know your hands are burning, but cannot feel it!

There was some confusion at the start of the main race race regarding the time trial results. They couldnt find my name on the starting list which meant I started stone dead last.
I decided that most of my racing for the next of the year would be done on the rally bike. This time it worked out OK as the track was nice and fast.
I quickly started catching up and overtaking some guys and got in a nice flowing rhythm. The bike handled everything quite well, except the slippery grass, a rally tyre isnt the best option for that type of terrain!

In the end I ended up in my usual 5th place in senior class, but I have to mention that both Dale and Gert was not there. We usually have a good dice and they probably would have beaten me on the rally bike.

Hentie finished in 3rd place, only 6 seconds behind 2nd!

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2017, 06:00:13 pm »
 . . . mooi so !

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2017, 06:00:42 am »
Well done Willem. Keep it clean bud. No crashing allowed.

Are you doing that 3 day event Alex is holding next month?

I heard Wessel is going to be in Dakar Malle moto next year. Remember, he broke both his hands in Bolivia on the11stage in 2016. Good guy.
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2017, 01:13:21 pm »
Jy's mal!

Baie geluk pella.  :thumleft:
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2017, 12:35:16 pm »
Hi everyone

I will be doing a series of posts about things like the bike, kit, support options etc.

First one will be the support options you have in the Dakar

The options riders have is either malle moto or being a supported rider. A supported rider is as the name implies someone that have a support team. There is quite a few companies that can provide these services and it may be a difficult decision to make.  Of the South African privateers in recent years have opted for BAS trucking / Van de Velde motoren. They are based in the Nethrlands and have a very good track record. Superman, Joey Evans and Walter Terblanche used the the last 2 years, and all of them had only positive things to say. This made my decision very easy and I booked a place on the team early in the year.

Support packages is quite expensive, especially in ZAR terms, but it increases your chances of success dramatically. They sort everything, from entries, acommodation, bike hire, spares, wheels and tyres, mechanics etc. you only have to ride the bike, eat and mark your road book.

As mentioned before the other option is to go Malle moto. This is MUCH cheaper, about 50%, but your chances of success is also much smaller.
Being a Malle moto rider means you have to do all the maintenance on your bike yourself, and all your spares tools kit etc have to fit in one steel box supplied by ASO and a kit bag. These guys usually have longer days on the bikes as they have to be careful of damaging things that then have to be repaired by themselves. Longer days means less time to do maintenance and even less time eating and sleaping. Guys finishing the Dakar in the Mallo moto catagorie is a special type of tough!

I bravely decided to be a supported rider, as this might be the only chance I have of doing a Dakar. I would rather have the extra costs and stack the odds in my favour.

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2017, 01:40:15 pm »
Awesome, thanks for keeping us informed.  :thumleft:

What kit are you taking with you for the 2 weeks?
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2017, 02:06:44 pm »
Awesome, thanks for keeping us informed.  :thumleft:

What kit are you taking with you for the 2 weeks?
14 onderbroeke

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2017, 03:10:51 pm »
I've watched you doing the Amageza several times and I know how damn capable you are. I look forward to your triumphant homecoming.

All the best!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2017, 02:25:42 am »
Good call Willem!

Malle moto on something like the Amageza is one thing, but you have to be a special kind of crazy as well to do Malle moto on Dakar.

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2017, 07:22:54 am »
Willem , Dakar Malle Moto is the way to go for us ZAffers who has done a couple Amageza Malle Moto stints. ( money/cost excluded although very important )
I have seen close up what you are capable of as your Amageza Malle Moto marshal.
You have the most important ingredient doing Malle Moto ; the right attitude and the adaptive execution of your overall plan.  . . .
Sterkte Willem , well done !

Offline TinusBez

« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2017, 04:47:23 am »
I bought the video Dream Racer yesterday from http://www.dreamracer.tv/

I have a lot of respect and look up to you rally racing guys. This is a story about a privateer entering the Dakar and all I can say is respect.
Other than the financial matters to get past it really puts the Dakar into perspective in what you typically only see a few seconds of in the tv highlights.

I'm sure Donnie also reads this and there is no prejudice to posting it here or on his thread.

Godspeed to you both no matter how you do it.

One can also download an app called Shift72 which allows you to download it and watch on your TV. One must buy/rent the video though.

Keep the stories coming.
KTM: 500 EXC-F current
KTM: 1190 Adv R Sold
Sweat dries, blood clots and bones heal, Suck it up princess

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2017, 04:07:16 pm »
Hey guys!
As posted on my facebook page, the "Team edition" T shirts and caps is now available.

T Shirts @R350 and caps @R300

If you would like to buy one (or rather a few) send me a mail with your size, quantity and delivery adress to dakar@zelco.co.za

The shirts and caps will be available by the end of the month.
A logo or 2 (if I can close a few deals in time) might be added, but it will remain stylish.

Cheers

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2017, 04:46:21 pm »
Were having a fundraiser day for Willem planned in CT the 8th of October with Kobus Potgieter and Joey Evans and need support- detail on plan a ride
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Mooch

« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2017, 04:45:44 pm »
I'm enjoying your updates. Keep them rolling. The support is growing ... and the time getting closer...
If in doubt, flat out.