Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018  (Read 17539 times)

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
Re: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2017, 05:01:22 pm »
Hello, time fo a short update!

As some of you may know next weekend it is the Badlands rally. I am really looking forward to that, its going to be great to go longs distances, navigating and on top of that its going to be a great group of guys.

Ihad a bit of a scare this weekend, I went for a ride and on my way back decided to do the 2016 Amageza time trial route. I overshot a fork in the road, hit a rock, went over the bars and landed hard on my back. My wind was completely knocked out, and I was crawling in the dust cursing and wheezing. My chest didnt felt to great, especially when i picked up the bike!
I was worried that I might have fractured a rib or 2, but luckily the X rays showed only bruising of the ribs. It hurts well enough!!

So the good news is that I am still doing the Badlands, the bad news is that my brand new Bell helmet is all scratched!!

The weekend after Badlands it is the Tankwa 500, for which I have entered as well. Looks like it is going to be a great race on brilliant terrain. 2 rally races in 10 days is going to be good training!

Cheers

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2017, 05:07:32 pm »
On the sponsorship front there is something very exciting brewing!
Will keep you updtaed

Offline Mooch

« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2017, 08:13:12 am »
On the sponsorship front there is something very exciting brewing!
Will keep you updtaed

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline B.V.

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2017, 08:23:08 am »
Like kwaai.!!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2017, 12:55:12 am »
All the best Willem. Take it easy boet, you can't afford to crash.

Also, take a new helmet with you; if they see the scratches at scrutineering they will not pass it.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2017, 09:26:34 pm »
Ribs did not feel any better, went back, another x ray, 1 fractured. Its going to be a sore 4 days on the Badlands rally for me....

That is the bad news

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2017, 09:43:29 pm »
The good news
I have a sponsor for my riding gear!

As you may know, Sandi Pitchers Keel is launching a new online store, selling FXR kit. FXR , together with Xhale Xtreme is providing kit for Dakar 2018!

The website www.xhalextreme.co.za is going live on Friday 15th September. Go check it out, as well as the facebook page.

FXR Moto is a Canadian company, well known in that part of the world for their snowmobile kit, outdoor gear and naturally mx and off road gear.
The company was founded by Milt Reimer, who was a racer and later on owned a motorcycle dealership. With his racing back ground he started designing high quality kit. The company expanded to where its products is sold internationally and is experiencing a huge increase in popularity due to the quality and design of their products.

Watch this space for reviews and info on the products!

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2017, 09:50:50 pm »
Last few days have been hectic between work, prepping for Badlands and a few Dakar preparations.

At least my bike is sorted

Tomorrow I will sort the last few things and Friday morning we'll set of for a nice and easy 4 day ride through the Northern Cape

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2017, 09:53:14 pm »
Great news about the sponsorship!

As BB07 said, take it easy. There's so little to be gained and too much to lose.

See you tomorrow.

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2017, 09:54:58 pm »
Looking forward to seeing you John!!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2017, 04:34:54 am »
John - Keep them honest! And enjoy it. You had better tell us all about it. :deal:

Go Willem. That broken rib is probably a blessing in disguise. Just don't puncture a lung! So crashing is absolutely something you cannot afford to do.
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2017, 07:35:43 am »
. . . broken rib, eina, . . been there and it takes a while to heal to . . .
Please Willem , don't go and ride alone  . . .
Sterkte . . .
Your raider looks good , well done !

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2017, 06:01:40 pm »
Hi WDT 
Thank you for your Tankwa Entry keep safe at Badlands and we see you soon
No Road like Off-Road

Offline weskus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2017, 08:19:59 am »
Hou hom veilig Willem, ons hou jou dop..
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline Mooch

« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2017, 08:38:43 am »
Good luck and enjoy. we will be keeping an eye...
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2017, 03:47:48 pm »
He is riding really well this weekend, leading the Badlands trip.

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2017, 04:12:29 pm »
Hey Guys, has been a long time since my last post, was quite busy!

I will do a separate post for the Badlands, the Tankwa 500 and the fund raiser me and Donovan had and some inbetween stuff.

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2017, 05:08:21 pm »
Badlands

Alexander arranged the Badlands especially for us guys going to Dakar to get some proper navigation practice and nice time in the saddle.

We started in Upington, which made it very convenient. If I remember correctly we were 13 at the start.
This was not a race, just a great group of guys doing some navigation riding on excellent routes.

The first day in Upington and ended in Springbok. We started of with a liason to Pofadder, and from there the racing section was mostly on the Oranje 4x4 route, more or less the same as day 2 of the 2016 Amageza. This place is one of my favorite places to ride a rally bike, with fast sweeping tracks. My bike started a fuel leak on the way to Pofadder. The rear tank had a crack in it, which I thought must have happened during my off the other day. After speaking to Bart (van de velden racing) i heard that it was a problem with the earlier efi rally bikes. One of the bolts on the inside of the battery bay push through and the tank cracked. Anyway I set off with fuel leaking, but it stoppd soon, as I drain the the rear tank first. The pace was quite high as I chased after Donovan and Jethro. Both me and Donovan had the same strategy for the Badlands, to be in front so we can navigate! This ended up in lekker racing, with Koos mixing it up with us. Through out the 4 days it was usually one of us in the lead, with the other 2 chasing and taking over the lead when one made a nav error. I made a mistake or 2, but found the way again and was first in.
I tried to fix the tank with steel epoxy that afternoon, and it looked like it would last.
Two of the perks of the Badlands was the we slept in beds, and was allowed to have beer at dinner! The cameraderie between the guys was brilliant. We really had a chance to get to know one another, even though a lot of us raced together quite a few times.

Day 2 was from SPringbok to Port Nolloth. We started off with a tra liason, and the special started at the pipeline climb of 2016.
The previous evening there was a discussion about the ridabillity of the last bit, wich Alex warned us last year not to try....

I started first and pushed hard to try and get away from the other guys. Iwent OK up to that last section. Icant remeber exactly, but the next moment I was on that section, without even realising it! I got stuck, and  as I was trying to push, walk force the bike up, Donovan came past me, only to get stuck a bike lenght further up. A lot of sweating struggling followed. The next moment Thomas Eich came past us both, easily making the climb! Not good for one's ego!

Eventually i got to the top, but not without damaging my still tender ribs from my crash 2 weeks prior. I popped a Mybulin and carried on. I amaged to get to thre front once again and was opening the road for nice long way, till I made an error and Koos and Donovan caugth up. The lead swapped between us to Alexander bay at wich point I was hurting quite bad. I took another pill (2) and sat for a while, even contemplating taking the tar road back to Port Nolloth. DOnovan set off, with Koos a short while behind him.
Eventually i got on my bike and decided to just cruise the ruote to Port Nolloth. After a few kms I caugth up to Koos, who had issues with his nav equipment, and he decided to follow me. I was really slow, and it must have been frustrating for him! As time went by and the meds started working I got a bit of pace back. Amazing how effective pain meds is, happened a few times during the race where I felt bad and sore only to be close to nromal a short while after taking pills!
Me and Koos went a long, and at one point Donovans tyre tracks went left at a T where we should go right. At that point I realised that we were in front, but had to push as he would figure it out and be chasing hard! Me and Koos got to the finnish together, and had a short liason to the hotel.
Bikes was serviced and rehydration started! A few guys, whos names will not be mentioned (Bill, Charl and Petrus) came in quite late, but they made it. Unfortunately Jethro got caught up in a peice of fence, was thrown off his bike and injured his ankle. Alex RG had a issue with his shock and also was out of the rac.... sorry meant adventure
Days 3 and 4 to follow

Offline Rokie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2017, 01:03:02 pm »
Great reading!! Keep it coming, please.
(and thanks for a great fund raiser  :thumleft:)
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #219 on: October 13, 2017, 05:40:56 am »
Sounds like it was a great event! Was Jethro able to self- extract or did someone go in and help him?