Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018  (Read 17257 times)

Offline Camelman

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
Re: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2017, 01:33:03 pm »
Willem. Maybe we get all the 2018 Dakar guys together. I can stitch together 14 days worth of Amageza routes (2011 - 2016). As there is likely no Amageza this year, we can work something.

I am a firm believer that you need to ride for 12-14 days continually so you can know what you are going to feel like on day 10. Your decision making etc. It won't be easy to get all the permissions, and organize some basic sweep and medic, but the objective will be not to race, but to ride and navigate for 12 days.

We could try and get a bike shop involved for some back-up and mechanics. Very basic. We ride, we sleep, we do it for 12-13 days. One rest day. The more you know what you'll feel like on day 9, the better prepared you will be for Dakar. You don't train for the Comrades by doing 100m hurdles. The Off-Road series may be too short and too risky.

I would train in the gym until I can train continuously for 4 hours. 1 Hour max heart rate, 2 hours med heart rate, and 1 hour low heart rate. Every day, 5 days a week. Ride your bike on weekends as stated before. You need to train your body to recover quickly. When you are fit, you do the same on your bike. 4 hours a day. Ride with a heart rate monitor. It works.

For weekend rides. Port Nolloth and back. There on tar, back on gravel. There on gravel, back on tar. Liaisons are part of the plan. Its not random. They wear you down, day by day. The more you know how your body and bike will respond and what you need to be drinking supplement wise, the better you will be prepared for Dakar.

Or wing it...  :biggrin:

Offline Rooi Wolf

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Op die Hantam hoogtes..
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2017, 02:05:03 pm »
Some sound advise right there. Uit die perd se bek uit..

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 04:32:19 pm »
Ek in vir daai 12 dae ding, dan kan ek my mind ook op maak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 04:35:28 pm »
Gee hom gas Willem !!!

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2017, 06:38:58 am »
:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Lekker Willem!! Ek en (ek is seker die hele) West Kus Malle Moto team is agter jou ! skree net... ons sal help waar ons kan!!

wat van: "Boetie Gaan Dakar toe!"  :biggrin:

or "Boetie aller a Dakar" (french)

:thumleft: :thumleft:
That's a great catch phrase  :thumleft:

Most South Africans have head of  :" Boetie goes to the Border " and " Boetie goes to Dakar" ( or similar ) connects the SA element and it's cute so people will remember it , even if they are not South African . 

If you use it you would have to find out about copyright etc but it is really a catchy name .

Offline WDT

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2017, 01:00:58 pm »
Its been a while since my last confession, sorry post....

Training is going OK, going to the gym 3 times week. Gavin is doing a great job, usually the nausea stops at around 10am. Today`s workout was a little bit over an hour, average heart rate 130, with a 190 max.
Besides going to the gym I try to ride twice a week, usually over weekends. This weekend I only had time for 1 session, Sunday afternoon. We have a nice wooped out rough sand loop of about 4km. If you go slow, 10 laps is possible, but when you push it really hard 2 laps is murder! avg heart rate 147, max 195! At least I have good company! thanks Chrismann and Nico

I had to make a few decisions regarding my bikes. I have to sell some to help with the funding. Currently i have my Amageza bike, a 2014 450 KTM xcw full rally conversion, a 2013 KTM 450 xcw standard and a 2016 KTM 350 SXF. That is too many (my wife agrees). I am going to race the senior class in the national off raods, and a few regional races, and some MX in between. The decision was either to race off raod with my old 450, and keep the 350 for mx or sell both and buy a 450 xc-f or Husky 450 fx on witch i can do both. The XC-f and FX models is very hard to find, but I got lucky and got a FX from Eddy2Race. I will get it propably this weekend. Cant wait! I had a ride with one e few weeks ago and man that thing is fast! 63hp if I remember correctly.

I cant remember if I already mentioned it, if so it is worth mentioning twice. Chriss Oppermann (Chrismann) loaned his 450rr for me for the year to practice on! Thanks a million! That will be the bike I race the Baja on. I had a little mishap with already, but it will be fixed shortly. (Sorry Chris)

That means I have a few bikes for sale, i will post in the for sale section as soon as the recon on the bikes is done, I want them t obe in good condition. Any one interested in a bike for the Baja, contact me!

Regarding funding / sponsorship, this is where I struggle the most. I have to finnish my proposal, but I am useless trying to design something. Looks like I will be needing p[rofessional help.

I got a call from Joey last week, very nice of him, got a lot of info and tips from him. he main thing is: its going to be hot, its going to be cold and its going to be wet and its is going to be high up, be prepared!.
If you can, go to one of his talks, it will be worthwile. I believe there is one in Joburg as well as Cape Town.

For the next few weeks it will be more of the same. Fisrt regional race is 25 February, then the West Coast Baja the 18th, 19th and 20th March, and the first national 31 March. Cant wait to get racing again! Hope to see you there, especially at the Baja

Cheers

Offline evansv

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2017, 01:28:53 pm »
 :sip:
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Offline ChrisMann

• Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2017, 03:59:45 pm »
Yo man, your Dakar thing is killing me. I've never practice so hard!  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:48:44 pm by ChrisMann »
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2017, 07:14:59 pm »
All the best with the training, Willem.

I started to write some advice, but it seemed a bit silly. I just want to see you on the starting line next year.  You'll handle the rest.

Offline Rolling Stone

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2017, 09:27:59 pm »
Amageza KTM Dakar 2018
Those are some of the brands you need to incorporate in your marketing plan, logo etc. Or should I say those are the brands that should include you in their marketing plans.
It is something that can get everyone some mileage and you some sponsorship.
It is something that can be built on in the years to come when the next and the next and the next Amageza winner goes to Dakar
There will not be another Joey story and raising funds will be harder.
good luck
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:28:36 pm by Rolling Stone »

Offline WDT

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2017, 11:13:18 am »
Good morning!
A short update.

I got my race bike for the year! (not for rally) Its a 2017 Husqvarna FX450, one of very few in SA. Was nice dealing with Brett from Eddy2Race.
The FX is somewhere between an enduro bike and a mx bike. Same engine as the MX, with suspension for off road. These bikes, together with the KTM XC-F is popular in USA, where they race it in GNC`s harescrambles etc. I wonder why it is not officially distributed in RSA?
I just finnished with the break in, and only did 1 lap at reasonable pace. The power is awesome, they claim 63hp plus something for the full FMF exhaust. Really nice motor, lots of grunt and power throughout the rev range.
This bike has traction control, which I thought is a bit of a gimmick, but actually is quite nice, you get better drive out of the corners. It does not work with wheel sensors like on a car, but monitor throttle position with engine revs, and when the revs spike without the throttle opening it limmits power.
This weekend I will start sorting the suspension. currently its a bit on the hard side for me, but will sort it out.

Training is comming along, gym sessions has been increased from 3 to 4 sessions a week, and I am starting to feel the difference, slowly.....

First race for me will be a CSA race end of Feb. CSA (Central South Africa) races is organised by the Kimberley Off road club, and caters for the Northern cape and Free state. Usually its fun races, with nice well marked courses. Will be the first time in about 2 years ive raced there, so we`ll have to see how it goes!

Funding is still my biggest challenge. I have to get my s#$&t together and do my sponsorship proposal.

That is about it for now, looking forward to the weekend getting some time on the new bike and get the suspension dialed in.

Cheers

Offline bud500

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2017, 11:26:17 am »
 :useless:
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline husky

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2017, 01:02:00 pm »
All the very best Willem.  It is nice to have a Saffer to follow and they all are great ambassadors for us. I am sure you will follow that trend.

Also, I am sure you are onto it but Ingo Waldschmidt in Nam cam maybe offer some riding variation for you (and advice about funding etc etc).

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2017, 09:49:12 pm »
Willem, its so awesome that you are on this road to Dakar!

I like the "Boetie gaan Dakar toe!" but am not sure how sponsors would take to it! ;D

Great to see how much support you are getting. Dont be nervous to ask us for help, there are some really talented people in this forum. If its something specific just make a new post in the General Bike related banter section - there are a lot of non racers there who might be able to help who dont normally come to the racing section to read posts.  :deal:

So cool that ChrisMann has helped you out. Chris, WELL DONE :hello2:

Also really cool to hear you have a sweet race bike for this year. I guess we dont have to tell you to take it easy....you can't afford to be injured this year. The Dakar is a marathon event so pacing yourself and riding smooth is much more important than speed.

I have sticky'd this thread so its on top. :deal:

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline T9ER

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Fortune favors the brave
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2017, 10:11:05 pm »
You got this bro! Whatever it takes, get that logo and name done and get it out there. This year is going to fly by. Focus on funding more now and fitness more the last six months. So pumped for you boet!!!
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

KTM 450RR

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2017, 06:50:16 am »
Thanks for the update Willem , :thumleft:

Good input from Blue Bull and Joey .  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Lucky for you Willem that our hero Joey attracted so much attention as a South African taking part in the Dakar and I think that will help you in your sponsorship bids and I think Joey is right , to start riding that wave early while the Dakar 2016 is still fresh in our minds .

Perhaps get some professional input about a marketing campaign for the Dakar .  The earlier sponsors start contributing the more value they will get . If you get someone to help you with that and with posts on social media you can focus on your training .

Have you chatted to Daryl Curtis of assisting with the marketing / sponsorship ? He must know a thing or two by now.

Yes on 2nd thoughts I like Amageza 2 Dakar or Kalahari 2 Dakar as names .

Great news about the bike and at least we all know you have the riding bit down and that is kinda the most important thing.   :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ps perhaps as a start let us have your bank account , then people will have less pressure to donate and can donate in a good month earlier in the year and not at the last minute . At least with us here you don't need a fancy name or marketing ploy because we know you as the boy'tjie from Upington WHO CAN RIDE  :ricky: :ricky: and when it comes down to to it that is the most important part . :biggrin: :biggrin: You have already proved that you have what it takes . All you have to do now is show up at the start ( and at practice every day till then ) ,

I get so proud of you as I type this Willem that I sommer get a tear in my eye. You will be great .   :3some:

Offline WDT

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 07:51:36 am »
Received this yesterday, makes it all feel a bit more reel!

How the hell can I get the pdf to show in my post!?!?!

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2017, 08:03:53 am »
It suddenly becomes even more real!

You're going to make us all proud.

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2017, 08:11:33 am »
Confirmation letter, WOW !  . . .  the Dakar 2018 is now a reality Willem !
Ons volg jou al die pad . . .

Offline Rokie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2017, 12:00:15 pm »
Awesome Stuff!
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)