Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018  (Read 17275 times)

Offline YamaV

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
Re: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2017, 01:34:56 pm »
Awesome!

Online BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2017, 01:44:14 pm »
Woohooooo it just got real!  :thumleft:

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online Rooies

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2017, 02:40:14 pm »
Way cool  8)  :thumleft:
Current:     BMW R1150GS
                  Honda XR650L
Previous:   BMW R1200GSA
                  Honda XL700V

Online BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2017, 09:00:47 am »
So..... how is it going with your sponsorship drive Willem?
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Kymco (all models)
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2017, 09:21:50 am »
 :sip:

Offline WDT

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2017, 12:03:11 pm »
Good morning! 12 days to go to the WC Baja!

Cant wait to do some nice desert racing. If we can get into the dunes at Oranjemund it will be awesome, holding thumbs.

Since my last post quite a bit has happened, I got my suspencion sorted on th eHusky FX450, raced that bike for the first time, started sorting out my Amageza bike for the Baja, and o yes, bought a KTM RFR.

I took the bike to Bill the Bong ( off road bike zen master) to help me with the setup, it is a lot easier when somebody watch from the side what the bike is doing. The AER fork is tricky to set up, as you have infinite setiing on the "spring rate". We got a usefull article the americans did on an MX bike, so we used their setiings as a base and worked from there. after a few corners, drop off`s and whoops we got the front and rear to work together. The bike has no surpises and with the traction control on you wont beleive the drive you get out of corners.
The first race for me af the season was the Hopetown 150, very well organised race with a nice well marked route, maybe not as technical but fun. Some high speed sections around the pivots. The race went OK, i got a 3rd place in OR1, but that was only because 2 of the favourites dnf`d. My firness training is tarting to pay dividends, my heart rate never maxed out and i was feeling great after the race. Thanks MFitness!

With only 2 weekends left for prep for the Baja I really needed to start this past weekend. First I had to finnish the jungle gym I started building in Decemeber 2015! Got that finished, so now I have full permission to race. I previously removed all my nav equipment from my Amageza bike, as was planning to sell the bike without it. The plan was to race with Chrissman`s RFR but after further inspection they found more damage, which required more parts etc. so now the bike will not be finished in time for the Baja. Luckily I was dragging my feet getting my "baster rally bike" raedy for sale, so now I have a bike to race with. So I had to fit al the nav gear again. Took it for a quick test Saturday evening, joined by Noco and Mark Kapnoudhis, the guy  that crashed and broke his pelvis on the last day of Amageza 2016. Glad to treport he is back on the bike and planning his Amageza 2017 assault! I only need to fit the ICO pickup cable and GPS bracket (managed to brake a bolt during the race, had to cable tie it each morning to the handle bars) then the bike would be sorted for the race.

Did I mention that I bought a RFR? well i bought Walter Terblanche`s Dakar bike. At the time the bike was still on the ship en route to Europe. Currently it is with Bart van de Velden, servicing th bike and getting it race ready again. Unfortunately the bike will not be here in time for the Baja. Our deal included the import and all the paperwork, which made it very attractive for me.
This gives me another option regarding a bike for Dakar 2018: The options are to do what Joey did, buy a new RFR in Europe and getting it prepper over there, and depending on my finance shipping it back to SA after the race or selling it. Second option is to rent a bike for the race. THird option is to practice with the biek I bought for the year, and ship it to Bart to do a complete rebuild / service / prep and do the race on my bike. That decision dont need to be made now, so I just want to get the bike over here and start riding it!

I see the entry list for the Baja is growing, great stuff! get that last minute entries in!

I need some help with my sponsorship proposal, my efforts up to date will only get me pitty, not funding! Any one with contacts or that know of some one that can do this for me would be great. I need something professional, and I beleive all the money i spend on it will be a sollid investment.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions on what you guys want to know or see, please let me know. Yes I know you need pictures!

Offline WDT

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2017, 12:14:58 pm »
Few pics of Walters, sorry my, bike. Taken round about scrutineering time at Dakar

And one of the FX450

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisMann

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2017, 06:51:01 pm »
That graphics on the RFR won't match your gear. Let me take it off your hands...  :drif: :drif: :drif:
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2017, 10:08:28 pm »
Dan kan jy jou huidige een aan pass na my toe.  Ek like die carburetor model.  Kan daaraan peuter...

Online BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2017, 06:21:29 am »
Thanks for the update! :thumleft:

So awesome you got Walter's bike. I would go for the rental or buy another one if I was you Willem. The cost of shipping up and down is crazy from RSA, and the hassles are also tremendous. If Bart can get it ready and to Le Havre you know you will be fine, and be practicing on a RFR which will be good.

Have you spoken to Darryl Curtis? (Bandit Signs)  I recon he will help you with marketing and maybe Alfie Cox as well. Who knows? You have to keep knocking until someone helps you.

Please keep us updated and all the best for the Baja! :thumleft: :ricky: 

Gooooooo WDT! :ricky:

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2017, 07:14:48 am »
 :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

:3some:

GOOoooooo Willem  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Rokie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2017, 02:59:06 pm »
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)

Offline Koos van den Heever

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2017, 03:12:01 pm »
Willem, alles van die beste en sterkte met die voorbereiding met Dakar!!!
Ek is seker jy sal ons naam gestand doen.
KTM 990 Adventure S
KTM 690 Enduro RR
KTM 450 RFR
KTM XCF-W 350

Offline Koos van den Heever

« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2017, 03:12:49 pm »
Willem. Maybe we get all the 2018 Dakar guys together. I can stitch together 14 days worth of Amageza routes (2011 - 2016). As there is likely no Amageza this year, we can work something.

I am a firm believer that you need to ride for 12-14 days continually so you can know what you are going to feel like on day 10. Your decision making etc. It won't be easy to get all the permissions, and organize some basic sweep and medic, but the objective will be not to race, but to ride and navigate for 12 days.

We could try and get a bike shop involved for some back-up and mechanics. Very basic. We ride, we sleep, we do it for 12-13 days. One rest day. The more you know what you'll feel like on day 9, the better prepared you will be for Dakar. You don't train for the Comrades by doing 100m hurdles. The Off-Road series may be too short and too risky.

I would train in the gym until I can train continuously for 4 hours. 1 Hour max heart rate, 2 hours med heart rate, and 1 hour low heart rate. Every day, 5 days a week. Ride your bike on weekends as stated before. You need to train your body to recover quickly. When you are fit, you do the same on your bike. 4 hours a day. Ride with a heart rate monitor. It works.

For weekend rides. Port Nolloth and back. There on tar, back on gravel. There on gravel, back on tar. Liaisons are part of the plan. Its not random. They wear you down, day by day. The more you know how your body and bike will respond and what you need to be drinking supplement wise, the better you will be prepared for Dakar.

Or wing it...  :biggrin:

Alex, as jy dit gedoen het, laat weet my.  Ek kom ry saam vir 14 dae.   :deal: :deal: :deal:
KTM 990 Adventure S
KTM 690 Enduro RR
KTM 450 RFR
KTM XCF-W 350

Offline WDT

« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2017, 09:04:38 pm »
Willem, alles van die beste en sterkte met die voorbereiding met Dakar!!!
Ek is seker jy sal ons naam gestand doen.
Dankie Koos, sien jou vlgde week!

Offline WDT

« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2017, 09:06:56 pm »
Thx Rynette, BB and Rokie

Offline Charel

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2017, 11:19:47 am »
Sterkte met alles WDT!!!
2003 BMW R1150GSA
Adventure is just a push of a button away

Offline WDT

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2017, 03:10:55 pm »
Like most of the guys racing next weekend I spent my weekend prepping the bike sorting tools and spares etc. Got a surprise, head bearing was starting to get a bit rough, so had to change that.
Went for a quick test sunday morning, mainly to see if everything will hild up and to calibrate my ico. Difference between gps and ICO was out by 0.7%, which means about 15mm on the circumference I think. Rally cap lost signal, so I have run a wire directly from the battery for the negative.
I must say it was abit of a wakeup call riding the bike in very tight wooped oit deep sand tracks after only practicing with the FX450 the last few weeks!

Now to start making lists of the lists that need to be made to get everything sorted.

Cant wait to go racing, see youn there!
Some random pics

Offline seankriel

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2017, 09:45:55 pm »
Are you sure you going slow enough? 166 seems a bit slow of the mountain tracks... lol

Sent from my SM-T116 using Tapatalk

It's not what you know and it's not who you know. It's what you know about who you know.

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2017, 01:59:53 am »
Awesome goal Willem. Lots of challenges on the road to the Dakar, but that's part of the journey. If it was easy, we'll all be doing it. Best of luck!!!  :hello2:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC