Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018  (Read 17794 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2017, 08:29:45 pm »
Cool video- must be inspired by Metalica's music :thumleft:-- looking at the mere mortals being overtaken- looked like moegoes from my riding group

Nice one!

Who's your moegoe? :peepwall: :pot: :imaposer:

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2017, 06:26:01 am »
Cool video- must be inspired by Metalica's music :thumleft:-- looking at the mere mortals being overtaken- looked like moegoes from my riding group

Nice one!

Who's your moegoe? :peepwall: :pot: :imaposer:

:biggrin:
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2017, 06:42:23 am »
Supposed to be an educational video, faster is easier and Metalica helps as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dirty Fun

• Puppy
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride that Bike
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2017, 01:26:25 pm »
Eers was daar Superman, nou is daar Ironman.

IRONMAN DOES DAKAR :biggrin:
Make the best of it.

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2017, 11:31:23 am »
Thanks Mehola logistix and Fuchs Silkolene!

Mehola logistix, the local supplier of Fuchs Silkolene lubricants were some of the first guys that confirmed their support for this little adventure.
Fuchs supplied me with motor oil, chain lube, brake cleaner, filter oil and cleaner for the wholr year! The best part is that this is the oil I normally use, and trust.
Even after a long Amageza stage no discoloration is evedent in the oil.
I can really recommend any Fuchs Silkolene products, and encourage everyone to use it.

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2017, 12:19:43 pm »
Nice Willem!  :thumleft: Verkoop hulle 2T olie  :peepwall:
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2017, 12:40:40 pm »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:41:53 pm by Bill the Bong »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2017, 01:14:38 pm »
Aha - Important info here, it's the secret to the NC guys being so fast...Its all in the oil they use!! :laughing7:  :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline J-dog

« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2017, 05:55:20 pm »
Good afternoon!

Short update.

The sponsorship proposal and website is in process. A first draught will be available soon. Really looking forward to get it so I can start in earnest to try and gest some sponsorship.
As Alex R has mentioned, the facebook page is also up and running. BEtween Alex and myself we will try to post regular content, consisting of general rally news, and of course any developments regarding my program.

Bart is still busy with my bike, should be finished any day now, and then shipped to SA. I really cant wait to start training on it.
On the subject of bikes, I finished yesterday evening prepairing my 2016 KTM 350 SX-F to sell. I will post an Auto Trader link as soon as my guys finished loading it, if any one is interested.

The weekends race was a moerse disaster! Me and Hentie did the Lichtenburg National Off road. Qualifying went OK, qualified in sixth, with Hentie third if I remember corectly. Then the race started! after having 3 BIG moments in the first 40km`s I decided to back of and just try and finish without any mishaps. The track consisted of 170km`s of lurkers! few of the top guys crashed out with broken collar bones, arms etc. I was too conservative and missed the time bar!!! actually I am not sure as the organisers extended it as well as hortened the second loop to under a hundred kms. No excuses, i was to slow and not brave enough.
Hentie finished 4th, he came very close to getting a podium, but he also decided it is not worth hurting himself. We will be back for the next one!

That is about all the news I have at the moment

A picture or 2 will follow

A race track with lurkers is unpleasant and unprofessional of the organisers. Glad you stayed in one piece!

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2017, 02:26:17 pm »
Aha - Important info here, it's the secret to the NC guys being so fast...Its all in the oil they use!! :laughing7:  :thumleft:

I can organise you a crate...

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2017, 02:28:25 pm »

I can organise you a crate...

Another "this is why I am so slow" excuse removed...  :pot:

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2017, 08:53:22 pm »

haha I also wondered why the Upington riders are so fast, yes it must be the oil they use then .  :ricky:

Glad to see the sponsorship is coming along nicely Willem .  :thumleft:

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2017, 12:19:10 pm »
Good morning all

Quick update on what happened the last few weeks.

2 weeks ago I was invited by Century racing (the guys that build my class P off road race car, the CRT) to the testing of their new FIA spec race car, the CR6. Mark Corbett (owner) finished in 17th place overall in Dakar 2016 with one of the previous models, the CR5. These guys know what they are doing! We went to Goerapan, about 90km North of Upington, nice big pan, luckily not salt, with typical Kalahari dunes. This is the same place Toyota do their final testing before Dakar. A lot of the footage of their tv commercial that runs during Dakar was shot there. The client, Geoff Olholm of Coconut Racing in Australia, with his team were there to sort the last few things out before racing in the silkway rally. They were also joined by Hein Uys, who bought one of the CR5`s and is also going to the Silkway rally.
While these guys were tinkering and doing some clever stuff that I dont understand I took my CRT out for a few laps (about 25km`s), I have forgotten how much fun racing off road cars is! I did close to 200km`s without realising! I took the FX450 along as well, to do a bit of training, and managed 7 or so laps before dark.
One of the best days I had in a while! Pics will follow.

Training is going OK, I had few lazy days, but made up for it with a bit of MTB together with normal gym training. I remembered why i dont particularly like bicycling... Unfortunately it still is some of the best training to do for long distance racing.

The guys doing my sponsorship proposal finished last week, so that is ready to send to prospective sponsors. If anyone have contacts that I can try, please send me the info!

As i have mentioned earlier in this thread, I bought Walter Terblanches`s rally bike. Well, after a bit of a wait for it to be prepped, shipped and cleared through customs, it arrived last Thursday! Connected the battery, filled up with oil and fuel, checked the coolant level, and it started ont he first try!

Hentie, Nico and myself went for a ride on Saturday, to Riemvasmaak. the Amageza guys will know it from day 1 of 2016, and I think the second last day of 2015. Brilliant place to ride, with lots of tracks and varied terrain. Was a good opportunity for me to get to know the bike. Just after 14:00 and 403km later we were back home. The bike is brilliant, you get the feeling that this thing was built specifically for long distance off road racing. These bikes are built really tough, and you feel like it will survive many days of hard terrain. The rear tire is a bit worn, Walter did gave me new ones together with spare wheels, which meant a few moments with the back stepping out and the braking distance that is a bit longer than what I am used to, but nothing to serious.
On Sunday I went riding with the guys at our sand track, and as I already washed and started prepping my FX450 for the Dundee race, it was the perfect excuse to go with rally. The first lap or so was hectic, but after a while I started to get the hang of it, and the bike actually handles very well in the twisty sand tracks. The deep slow whoops is difficult, and the 25 litres of fuel on board didint make it any easier!

As mentioned above me and Hentie os racing in the national at Dundee on Friday. So I am busy prepping the bike and getting everything sorted to leave on Thursday. Hopefully this race will be better that the LIchtenburg fiasco!

Thats about it, I will post some pics now.

Cheers

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2017, 12:24:47 pm »

Some photos of my bike, CRT, the Century racing setup and the new CR6

The rally bike when I got it from Walter

Some photos of the Riemvasmaak trip

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2017, 01:48:01 pm »
Great stuff, Willem!

And thanks for taking the time to tell us of your progress.

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2017, 04:30:52 pm »
Most of last week was spent preparing for the national race in Dundee. I finally applied the sticker kit, serviced the bike and got everything sorted.

Using only the best!

It was again Hentie and me from Upington that raced, driving close to 1 100km on Thursday.
After the previous race in Lichtenburg, were i didn't finished, we were hoping for better terrain and a proper race.

The day started of overcast and cool, which was actually very nice. The time trial started smoothly, and went OK, except for getting lost a bit. I am supposed to be good at navigating, but apparently useless at reading stickers!

My qualifying time was not very good and I started quite far back in the field. Hentie also had a few problems during qualifying, and was only about 6 or so places in front of me.

The race started and it was a relieve, the terrain was much better, with a good variety. First lap went smoothly, apparently a bit to smoothly as i was caught halfway through the lap. Gert catch me in the technical stuff and me catching him again in the open parts. He was on a 250 two stroke, and there were flat out straights on closed of district roads, so it was a bit unfair to him.

When I got tomthe dsp after the first lap ate everything I could find, and crammed my cheecks full of biltong to eat on my way tomthe start line. Unfortunately i started chocking right when Inhad to start the 2nd lap! I nearly died! Had to stop shortly thereafter just to get everything sorted out. Idiot! Got passed by 2 guys there .

Rest of the race went better, it started to rain and got quite cold and very slippery. Managed to complete the race without any crashes, had a few close ones though! Bent my rear wheel a bit.

Unfortunately no photos from here on as we had to pack everything in the wet and cold.

I managed to get a 5th place (I thought Gert beat me as he started behind me and finished in front of me?) and Hentie a very good second place, both in the senior class. Bolly van Rooyen better whatch out for him at the dessert race!

All in all it was a good weekend, with good racing. Next up will be a practice day in the Kalahari, a 4x4 event and bike race there after, and then the big one, the Dessert 1000! Thats the one we are looking forward to! O yes and my wife have to give birth, I just hope its not going to interfere with one of the races!

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2017, 05:51:08 pm »
Well done Willem!

Fifth is great, but riding within yourself and staying out of trouble is even better.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2017, 07:08:29 am »
Fantastic Willem , you are putting in the hard work and I agree with Crossed- Up , having a healthy dose of caution will get you to the finish line .  :thumleft:

haha I can just picture you with the Biltong in your cheeks  :imaposer:

Good luck with your wife's birth and yes hope the kid-to-be respects your racing time table   :biggrin:

Great about the Silkolene sponsorship .  :thumleft:

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2017, 09:05:44 am »
Lekker Willem . . . !

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2017, 06:40:03 am »
Wow Willem, talk about being stuffed to the gills! ;D

Thanks for the update and congratulations to you & your Mrs!! :thumleft: She must be a keeper.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250