Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018  (Read 18080 times)

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
Re: Willem du Toit Dakar 2018
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2017, 05:03:58 pm »

Pic of my bike just before Badlands

I had fuel coming out of the rear tanks breather which anded up on my bum. End result was  nice chemichal burn and a very tender bum for the start of day 3!

We set off that morning  on nice fast sand routes, which turned into rocky passes and mountains, not my favorite. Donovan was in the lead most of the time, with me behind him. We didnt know at the time but Koos had ICO and nav issues again and was back in the field.
I had a small stupid crash while turning around after overshooting a turnoff and was hurting again. My batteries was flat for the last section before the refuel in Alexander bay.
Koos cauaght up with me and Donovan at the refuel, and they set off, me a little while after. The final section of the day was the same as day 4 of ast years Amageza, not to tricky, except for one turnoff outside Eksteensfontein (I think). My trip was not 100% on the book and I turned off about 200m early, saw it was wrong, went back took another road, which ended up on the same big gravel raod. The DZ for that section was 100km/h, and although the cap was not 100%, I decided to push on. My reasoning was that the river was North and i was going east and Fioolsdrift was next to the river I would eventually get there. Apparently not. That was about the same reasoning Jacques, Petrus, Carl nad Bill had!

The road got smaller, later going around a security gate and then just about vanished in some pretty remote mountains nad river beds. After going more than 20 kms I decided to take my medicine and go back. Eventually finding the correct route and had a rather uneventful ride to Vioolsdrift and the end of the special.
From there it was a tar liason of about 120 clicks.

The other 4 guys decided to push through, eventually finding a way across some mountains in the dark and got to Vioolsdrift, only arriving at Springbok after 10 o clock! They were quite upbeat after their adventure!!

Me giving Alex RG some intensive hands on maintenance training

Day 4

We started with the same liason as the previus day, with the special starting a few ks before Vioolsdrift. We set off in a type of reverse order, to try and bunch up the finish. Me and Donovna started last, with Alex sweeping as usual. The pace was high and we started carching up with some guys. Thomas and Chris fell in behind us and we made short work of the special, arriving in Pofadder before noon. Only a liason of about 250km left, luckily most of it was gravel! We arrived in Upington just before 15:00, had a few beers and a small ceremony.

As I have mentioned this was not a race, just a trip loosely held under rally rules, meaning you had liasons with speed zones, special sections etc. I am not someone that like bike tours,  think this will be as close to a tour for me for the foreseeable future

Thanks to Alex and all of the volunteers it was brilliant, and thanks to all the other participants, truly enjoed your company!

Me and the man Donovan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2017, 05:06:04 pm »
I forgot to mention, the shitty photos is Sean Kriel and the nice ones is Lie-Ann (Oakpics), thanks!

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2017, 05:36:34 pm »
I forgot to mention, the shitty photos is Sean Kriel and the nice ones is Lie-Ann (Oakpics), thanks!

:laughing4: :laughing4: Mooi report was lekker om nou weer trip te herleef
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2017, 05:39:36 pm »
Tankwa x 500

The Thursday after Badlands I was on my way to the Tankwa 500, a 3 day race with a rally class included. We were a few guys from Upington (not the usual suspects) that entered.

Day1 consisted of a prologue as well as a short river section. The Prologue started out OK for me, only to stuff it up completely near the end. We only had a gps track for the prologue, and mine kept switching off, so me and Izak Mans got lost completely, doing a section of the next days route. His reasoning was who better to follow than a guy on a rally bike thats suppose to know what he is doing!!! Sorry Izak

The stages timing got neutralised  there were a lot of confusion among the riders.

The afternoons river section didnt go a whole lot better. I started of at the back end of the field, as they used the times of the prologue only for starting positions. In the dust and overtaking I managed to miss a clipper and got a 30min penalty, well done...
Day 2 was about 270km, which the locals and race organisers described as nice and fast. I beg to differ.. Pushing your bike down a mountain ober bolders is not fast. I am not good in the rocks, and the day was rather tough for me. I think I ended up second in the rally class,with Martin Lourens kicking my ass completely!
The last day was shorter, about 100ks, with revir beds, mountains and some nice tracks. The previous evening I got some suspension tips for the rocks, which paid dividends. I had a much better day on the bike and felt that I could ride aggressively. Martin had some bike issues which cost hima massive amount of time, which made the end result quite close, he beat me by 3 mins on the clock, but it was much more considering his brake down!
We all had a ball, with now major incidents, apart for some small crashes and broken wheels.

Thanks again to Clive and his team for a great event, Ican highly recommend it to anyone!

Photos to follow, i am looking for a teenager to help me

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2017, 08:21:42 am »
;D

Loving these reports Willem, thank you so much for your labour of love. :thumleft:

So its just over 2 months to go. How do you feel? You certainly have been riding a lot. Great you are getting good practice in the rocks, some Dakar stages are only rocks and rocks hiding under fesh fesh. The sand in Peru is also different to that in South Africa. A bit finer. In some ways easier, in others not.

What are you plans going forward?

Please shout if you need any local help. A few basic phrases on a piece of paper will be useful etc. that kind of thing.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2017, 10:02:03 am »
 . . . wow ! time flies  . .
only about two months to go for your departure . . .
Sterkte Willem . .

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #226 on: October 18, 2017, 10:17:02 am »
Thanks BB gser!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2017, 05:07:03 pm »
Hi guys
Here are a few fotos of the bike i will be riding at Dakar being prepped. Bike only did 5 or so days, so just about brand new! Only thing that wil change is the roadbook. Ive used an Aurora roadbook for some time now, and Dimitris offered to give me one for Dakar!
Look closely, see if you can spot the best part

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2017, 05:54:19 pm »

Look closely, see if you can spot the best part

Nice Bike!! Best part the hole bike? lol...
It's not what you know and it's not who you know. It's what you know about who you know.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2017, 06:13:55 pm »
It must be that miniature blue brush and pan hanging from the nav tower. Tremendously thoughtful, these guys.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2017, 06:16:13 pm »
Those fancy forks look the business. Are they special?

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2017, 06:16:29 pm »
It must be that miniature blue brush and pan hanging from the nav tower. Tremendously thoughtful, these guys.
Hahaha, look a bit lower

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2017, 06:17:37 pm »
Look at a photo of Sam Sunderlands bike, full factory suspension

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2017, 06:25:30 pm »

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2017, 06:57:02 pm »
Woah! Nogal fancy, fancy.  You're a lucky guy to get suspenders like that.

But, then, you'll do them justice.

Offline AlexRG

« Reply #235 on: November 02, 2017, 07:06:22 pm »
WP Cone Valve 52's with neoprene forkseal guards :-) and X-Trig triple clamps
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:08:17 pm by AlexRG »

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #236 on: November 02, 2017, 08:18:43 pm »
kyk hoeveel vurke en shocks is daar in die agterste hoek op die eerste foto.  #mannevattiekakkie

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2017, 07:53:25 am »
What was the story that was behind that bike getting a set?
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2017, 08:38:59 am »
What was the story that was behind that bike getting a set?
Nothing really, just a few Euros and asking nicely ;D

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2017, 03:18:29 pm »

:laughing4: :laughing4: John.

Seriously though that bike is a real beaut, and its is gonna fly.  :drif:  So excited for you WDT!!
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250