Sharpen two Saws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Stripes

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Voxan (all models)
Friday was not a good day. Western Province did not make it any easier. The biggest problem was the lurking reality of my baby daughter who had to go back to Stellenbosch. So we decided to make good an earlier promise, which is to take the bike and just go somewhere.  Now, she is my fiercest critic and maybe the closest to my heart in many ways. She has the ability to expose me to my own wisdom, but also to take any wisdom I acquired and makes it her own. Needless to say, we spend many hours philosophising about life, science, God and all other unexplainable things.

Sometimes when things get a bit sticky, one just has to go somewhere to sort things out. Up a mountain just works for me, so we decided to go up Piketberg. After we walked the dogs at 05:30, Merrycan left for some appointment in Cape Town and we started packing. Eat-some-moreâ??s, chilly bites and Energade in the Camelbak. Camera and layers of clothing completed the attire.

It was cold and misty. Or foggy. I newer know the difference. The fog hid an array of dangers, from pedestrians, animals and potholes, to lifeâ??s insecurities.

We took the mountain from the Piketberg side and it was miserable.

DSCF1646.jpg

Until we moved high enough to see things in the light.

DSCF1648.jpg

DSCF1651.jpg

DSCF1654.jpg

DSCF1658.jpg

DSCF1661.jpg

It made me realise once again how many times we are looking in the wrong places for the answers we are desperate for. If we never aim high, we may never achieve.

On the mountain it was beautiful. Everything basking in the luscious sun.

DSCF1664.jpg

DSCF1666.jpg

We took roads at random. There is an army guy up there somewhere. We often came to a sign, saying â??Private Noentryâ?. Donâ??t have the faintest idea who he might be. Nice roads on his farm however.

DSCF1665.jpg

DSCF1671-1.jpg

DSCF1673-1.jpg

DSCF1669-1.jpg

I was looking for a road down to the Kapteinskloof side, but we failed to find it. We ended up in a lot of bushes, but no road down the kloof. It was a very rewarding search, so we just kept on searching.

DSCF1660.jpg

DSCF1669-1.jpg

At some point we stopped for â??lunchâ? and had time to talk about things that were bugging us. Soon we started talking about fear again. We were lucky enough to get a bursary for her, but then there is no room for error and for fun. She studies Electrical Engineering, so it is not easy. My little girl is sometimes so heavy on herself. She set very high standards for herself and that in itself makes her very vulnerable to self criticism. She had a re-exam, something that didnâ??t do her any good.

DSCF1670-1.jpg

She had to wait until the end of the holiday before she got the good news. The whole time she was wandering around, like a ghost, mind occupied in doubt and fear. The moment she got the result, she lit up and looked ready for the world.

Myself, I did not have problems with re-exams. I passed more subjects in re-exams than in regular exams.

There are two worthless things; fear and guilt. Both can occupy your mind and soul, without any substance. It can, however leave a lot of dragons behind, leaving you paralyzed and in doubt. 

It was the main reason for the trip. To clear the head and prepare for the semester that lies ahead.

One of the biggest compliments I ever got was from her. She said that she wants to grow up to be like me. I donâ??t think any father deserves that.

One of our most difficult topics is the one of religion. I was never a big fan of convention and found it extremely difficult to listen to people who tell me things that I â??just have to believeâ?. Some people can do it, I cannot. I think it is at the root of a lot of people, to doubt the existence of a God or eternal life. It is just so extremely difficult to believe something that you can not see or have proof of. On the other hand, it is not cool for us to say that we just die and become compost. This is the reason many people believe we invented God, so that we donâ??t have to except that we are mere mortals.

My problem is that I donâ??t lie to my children, unless they ask me how much beer I drank. So, in order to tell them about God, I have to believe what I tell them. In that way, they help me to believe in God. Also, I experienced a few things I can only explain in the context of a Greater One. Some of the great things we see in nature make it much easier to see a Great Hand in it. I suppose, at the root of my problem is the fact that I donâ??t believe as easily as other people. This is where other people have to come in and do the trick. This is probably where we are supposed to help each other.

So, without my children, I would find it difficult to believe in God. Then again, He would find some other trick to get to me.

At a certain point, she decided that she is not going any further. Again this stupid thing called fear. Worthless emotion of the weak. Canâ??t think why.

DSCF1674.jpg

DSCF1675.jpg

DSCF1681.jpg

DSCF1682.jpg

Well, all ends well, apart from crossing the Berg River. This is no insignificant fear, this is real danger. A huge dragon to slay. What ifâ?¦

DSCF1687.jpg

OK, it was also a worthless fear. Wet shoes and socks, I suppose, is not life threatening.

DSCF1688-1.jpg

So we came home, revived, tired and grateful for the small mercies of the great universe we live in.

Now for electrical compulsion.......