Muddy Marico Mampoer ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
So the feelers went out and eventually three riders made it to Pinehaven, the weather was a bit off but I was raring to get some saddle time so did not worry too much. Titanic (Leon) and Corne.I (Corne) joined me for the trip to Groot Marico. We arranged to stay at Stille Waters and only had to cover 270km for the day. With the rain and mud I anticipated about 2 hours to get to the Olifantshoek dam and I was spot on.

Onto Hekpoort we rode untill the first dirt through the Askari reserve. What a great place, the guards opened the gates as we rode and we got to see Kudu, Wildebeest and Hartbeest at close quarters. Only problem it was pissing down at this stage and Titanic promptly went down in the first 10m of dirt ! It did not bode well and I think all three of us had doubts whether this trip would be much fun if conditions stayed the same. I promise you it weren't deep at this stage but slippery as ice.

IMG_8414_zpshnsovdgn.jpg

Wildebeest had great traction and were loving this weather

IMG_8415_zpsxx0fc6ps.jpg

We decided that we will push on to Breedsnek then if we survive that Olifantshoek and make a call there. Eventually after slip sliding through the reserve and being overtaken by Fortuners on dirt read "mud" (how embarrassing) we made it to Breedts. Now people say it is the worst they have ever seen it and granted it was rocky but manageable even in the rain. My only problem was my old Airoh's visor does not stay open so it would fall shut constantly and mist up in an instant leaving me blind on the rocks  :p

On the way to the pass

5a775db4-4d89-45ba-8388-d5c89462be22_zpskplbirce.jpg

Group coming up the pass

IMG_8418_zpse5weajcu.jpg

And at the top

IMG_8425_zpsshvquz3i.jpg