KTM 300 XCW due for a rebuild!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I bought this bike from a local who claimed it was good to go. After  only 14.2 hours of easy riding(hour meter fitted before the first ride as the bike has no clock) , my clutch gave up. Wouldnt disengage. So I had a tinker, and the master cylinder seals needed replacing, and the slave cylinder piston oring was the wrong size and has caused the piston to score the inside of the bore.The oring was so loose I am still wondering how they got the piston into the bore in the first place.  bought all the various bits,and spent ages making sure that the clutch bled right. now the clutch wont engage at all. Put the bike in gear, let the clutch lever out with a bit of revs..... and nothing. The bike stands on the spot. :dousing:

So i pulled the clutch cover off and had a look at the plates. They look good enough to last a little longer, but the bushes behind the outer clutch hub are well worn, so i must now pull the hub off to do the job. And I cant get the clutch basket nut loose cause some tosser has stuck about a gallon of locktight on there. So a bit of a cheat is to lock the gears and then shock the nut loose. But I must first get the clutch casing off. But I cant do that because the kick starter is siezed onto the shaft. :lamer:

At this point I am praying that the previous owner dies a horrible death, and while I am picturing various scenarios of carnage I decide to have a quick peak into the engine cylinder to see if there is any wear to the apparently new top end rebuild. As you can imagine, I am feeling decidely duped at this point and suspect that all the so called work that was done, wwas actually not done at all!!  I whip the head off and can feel a nice fat lip at the top of the cyinder. :angry4:

With a lip at the top of the cylinder being as bad as it is, I can now safely assume that nothing has been done to this bike at all. other than a bit of a polish and a bullshit story and I am left with a bike that is not worth a damn!!

So do I sell it and get fuck all for it? then after another three years of saving and scrimping every penny I can spare, get caught out again by another dud bike?? Or do  fix the one I have from the ground up and then keep it???  Not sure what to do at this point.

But I have pulled the motor out and measured the piston and barrel with a mic and I am at the very top limit of my wear limit on a second oversize. and then there is the bottom end as well. tottaly fucked!! :xxbah:

Once a two stroke cylinder is at 2nd oversize, what does one do to get it back on the road?? do you resleeve it and then send it off to be plated? do you buy an already plated sleeve and have that fitted? or does the current sleeve get replated and then machined to fit a standard size piston???

If I am going to rebuild the bike then I might as well get it back to stock as much as possible. Save me future headaches by keeping things straight forward.