Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cape Town: she attempted to run over a biker, boasts about it.  (Read 27362 times)

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Cape Town: she attempted to run over a biker, boasts about it.
« Reply #200 on: February 06, 2017, 12:45:22 pm »
She is lucky she didnt refer to Black bikers on the beach, that would have got her in court  :peepwall:

:laughing4:

Indeed!
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2017, 07:04:51 am »
I think this who misconception arises from the then WC MEC Carlisle who wanted to introduce legislation
banning filtering back in 2013.

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/bikes-quads-karts/lane-splitting-ban-for-bikes-mooted-1471930

The legislation was NOT introduced, but some "cagers" clearly think it was.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2017, 09:53:47 am »
I think this who misconception arises from the then WC MEC Carlisle who wanted to introduce legislation

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/bikes-quads-karts/lane-splitting-ban-for-bikes-mooted-1471930

Everytime I have a debate on whether splitting is legal, I silently thanks Mr. Carlisle and the AA (who said similar stuff at the same time), because I just refer people to the articles and ask: "Would they want to ban something that is already illegal?"
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2017, 10:44:50 am »

Everytime I have a debate on whether splitting is legal, I silently thanks Mr. Carlisle and the AA (who said similar stuff at the same time), because I just refer people to the articles and ask: "Would they want to ban something that is already illegal?"

Exactly my argument as well.
:biggrin:

Can't investigate passing legislation to outlaw something if it is already outlawed...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline MickeyT

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2017, 11:35:20 am »
Hozit Guys

I'm going to cut my hair tomorrow.  I will make sure I stop the 1190 infront of the door on the pavement.

I'll make some comments about stupid drivers...

I recently moved to Cape Town and I am seeing a trend where the drivers do know you are there but just do not care. Some places they are awesome, makes a nice space to drive but the "Kelli's" out there still think the road is only for cars.
I do get frustrated and had my fare share of near deaths in CT already.  But I had to learn to calm down my traffic driving, just because the peeps do not buy the optional extra on the cars(Indicators) as you would find in JHB.

I think it is coming down to being more attentive from all parties just to stay safe.

And?  How did it go?
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." – Philippe Halsman

Offline GRIM

« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2017, 05:05:42 pm »
Hozit Guys

I'm going to cut my hair tomorrow.  I will make sure I stop the 1190 infront of the door on the pavement.

I'll make some comments about stupid drivers...

I recently moved to Cape Town and I am seeing a trend where the drivers do know you are there but just do not care. Some places they are awesome, makes a nice space to drive but the "Kelli's" out there still think the road is only for cars.
I do get frustrated and had my fare share of near deaths in CT already.  But I had to learn to calm down my traffic driving, just because the peeps do not buy the optional extra on the cars(Indicators) as you would find in JHB.

I think it is coming down to being more attentive from all parties just to stay safe.

And?  How did it go?

The scissors slipped by accident...

Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2017, 05:26:01 pm »
The scissors slipped by accident...

Snip-snip and Bob's your Aunt...?  :eek7:
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Vark

« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2017, 09:37:42 pm »
I grew up in CT and commuted by bike for years. Then i moved to JHB and boy what a difference. I feel safer on a bike in JHB than in CT. People here are more alert and less 'i have the right to drive in this lane' attitude than CT.
Visiting the mother city is great as long as I don't have to ride or drive anywhere.
Bring the taxis and blue lights. Leave the Capetonians.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2017, 11:25:23 pm »
Maybe they spend too much time looking at their mountain :laughing7:

:peepwall:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline manta

• Reborn on the forum as Manta
« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2017, 07:54:00 am »
I've had a completely different experience with commuting in Cape Town.
I commuted for 10 years every day in GP and in that time had 1 close call every couple of days.
In Cape Town I commute a lot all over because my job is to see clients and I use my bike.
In the 18 months I've been here I've had 2 close calls, that's it.
I believe it is all about the way you ride. I don't race I keep just ahead of traffic and ride with my spotlights on. Literally no issues. I've felt way safer here that in GP. I'm not an aggressive biker I take it easy and always get where I'm going way faster than a cage.
We bikers like to blame the cages around us but often the problem is the one staring back at you in the mirror.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2017, 08:52:35 am »
I commuted for 10 years every day in GP and in that time had 1 close call every couple of days.
In Cape Town I commute a lot all over because my job is to see clients and I use my bike.
I believe it is all about the way you ride. I don't race I keep just ahead of traffic and ride with my spotlights on. Literally no issues. I've felt way safer here that in GP. I'm not an aggressive biker I take it easy and always get where I'm going way faster than a cage.
We bikers like to blame the cages around us but often the problem is the one staring back at you in the mirror.

In my experience the difference between a safe motorcycle commute and a hair-raising one is about 30 km/h

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:52:58 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2017, 10:36:29 am »

Reading that it is likely you have become more relaxed living in Cape Town.

I have ridden in the three major cities and my experience is as follows

Cape Town generally know you're there but have a more entitled approach. They will push forward to block a gap or make things difficult for you as they feel it unfair that you can get past so easily.They are most likely to change lanes through you on purpose.
Durban is the most terrifying. They are clearly unaware of your presence. Lane splitting there makes you feel a little like Moses as the cars suddenly widen the gap as you come through. The same unawareness means they will change lanes suddenly and wont have seen you.
Johannesburg generally the traffic sees you. Mostly they will leave space for you. Just watch out for the young girls in their 20's (They're entitled); the housewives in the large 4x4's (They're on their phones) and the captains of industry in their large saloons (They are also on their phones and own the road).

Personally I feel safest in Johannesburg. I am most worried in Cape Town as the most likely place to have someone take you out on purpose. I will say the further North and West you go the less this is true. The M3 is the worst road to be commuting on.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2017, 10:46:37 am »
I grew up in CT and commuted by bike for years. Then i moved to JHB and boy what a difference. I feel safer on a bike in JHB than in CT. People here are more alert and less 'i have the right to drive in this lane' attitude than CT.
Visiting the mother city is great as long as I don't have to ride or drive anywhere.
Bring the taxis and blue lights. Leave the Capetonians.

mods, can we merge this thread with "that other capetonian attitude" thread?    :imaposer:    :imaposer:    :imaposer:
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2017, 11:04:34 am »

In my experience the difference between a safe motorcycle commute and a hair-raising one is about 30 km/h
100% with you there...  :thumleft:

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2017, 11:30:17 am »
Must say, I have ridden around CT highways and by-ways a lot, at different times of the year and day, and always found the CT drivers to be kind and mindful of me on the bike.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Shake what ya mama gave you.
« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2017, 11:36:04 am »
Must say, I have ridden around CT highways and by-ways a lot, at different times of the year and day, and always found the CT drivers to be kind and mindful of me on the bike.
Yabut the Cape bikers tend to actually conceal their faces by wearing helmets.

Offline MickeyT

« Reply #216 on: February 09, 2017, 12:06:01 pm »

I commute with the bike every day on the M3 and also find most of the cages very mindful and courteous.  In fact - the taxis are very aware of the bikes and will give you a gap most of the time.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." – Philippe Halsman

Offline Buddy

« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2017, 12:21:21 pm »
Back to the topic in question.......... Has anyone had their hair cut by the repentant hair dresser chicky??? How was it????

To the rest, welcome to Cape Town, be afraid, be very afraid to drive on our roads, now go home, except you Jubs, jy is altyd welkom hier by ons.

Grrrr se ook so  :lol8:
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2017, 12:28:18 pm »
Cape Town generally know you're there but have a more entitled approach. They will push forward to block a gap or make things difficult for you as they feel it unfair that you can get past so easily.They are most likely to change lanes through you on purpose.

Sadly I (mostly) agree with you.

You add to that the fact that the sequence in Capetown for changing lanes are 1) do the move 2) indicate (entirely optional) and 3) look and you are up for interesting times if you don't take it slow while lane-splitting.

About the indicator being optional in Cape Town - I am convinced it comes from the 'self entitled' selfish assholery of most Cape Town drivers hogging the space ahead of them.
In Cape Town if you see a gap and indicate to go into it, the guy behind the gap will almost every time accelerate to close it.

So I suppose it makes sense that a driving style will be adopted that includes 'non-nonchalantly' driving past and then (without indicating or looking properly) just 'jump' into that gap before it can be closed...

(I am speculating, but it kinda make sense to me).

My experience with Gauteng is that if you indicate, not only does a gap stay there, but (mostly) a small gap will open wider, or a gap will appear where there wasn't one.
I think the Gauteng guys understand that 'flow' is importanter than 'f#ck off, it's my gap'.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:30:20 pm by Eisbein »

Offline manta

• Reborn on the forum as Manta
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2017, 12:36:26 pm »
I feel like I live in a different Cape Town to how everyone is describing it.
Yes Cape Town people for the most part are selfish, we have covered this but I had to commute daily on the M3 and literally never had an issue. Again I think it relates to the speed the bike is travelling at. The faster you go, the more the driver of the car is surprised because literally although it can be a second from looking in your mirror to moving, if the bike is going fast that can be enough time for the bike to suddenly "appear".

Anyway I am going to continue living in my fairytale Cape Town where I have had no issues. Again if you are often having issues, perhaps it is time to look inward as opposed to blaming every cage. In all these stories the constant always seems to be the biker.....

Peace  :3some: