Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Red Tape and White Knuckles" (for the lady riders)  (Read 661 times)

Offline lonerider

• aka Jason
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Stellenbosch super-sluiper
"Red Tape and White Knuckles" (for the lady riders)
« on: July 24, 2008, 01:49:54 am »
http://www.kalahari.net/books/Red-Tape-and-White-Knuckles-One-Womans-Motorcycle-Adventure-Through-Africa/632/32523597.aspx

To most thirty-something women, walking across the street to get a skinny latte and the latest copy of heat in excruciating high heels is an all-terrain task in itself. But Lois Pryce isn't just any woman - nine to five and post-work white wine spritzers have never been her thing. Unafraid of a challenge - having already ridden her motorbike from Alaska to the southernmost tip of South America - she decided she could never be one to settle for a last minute package holiday in Viva Espana. So, she began the kind of adventure most of us could only ever dream of. Donning her sparkly crash helmet and armed with her trusty maps and a baffling array of visas, Lois got on her bike once more to make an impressive international journey. Alone. No support vehicles, no fancy GPS and no satellite phone.Leaving from London, finishing in Cape Town - and the small matter of tackling the Sahara, war-torn Angola and the Congo Basin along the way - this feisty independent woman's grand trek through the Dark Continent of Africa is the definitive motorcycling adventure. It was certainly never going to be easy but, equipped with a formidable strength of character and an immense passion for life, Lois Pryce's astonishing achievement is an inspiration to us all. She paints a vivid picture of travelling through the vast African landscape. Colourful and hilarious, Red Tape and White Knuckles is an action-packed tale about following your dreams that will have you packing your bags and jetting off into the sunset on your own adventure before you know it.

Anybody read this, or know the lady in question?
[snip]
I do not think that dying is a good idea.
Living doing something that you love is a good idea.
Living until you die is a good idea. If living happens to kill you it means you made a mistake, but we are human, and humans make mistakes, so go for it, enjoy it, live until you die, rather than not living for your whole life.

Offline Misty

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • BMW650GS - DR650 - Triumph Scrambler 900 - BMW650G
Re: "Red Tape and White Knuckles" (for the lady riders)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:59:41 pm »
No haven‚??t heard of it until now, but am definitely going to make a point of reading it after this thread ‚?? just love these inspiration and passionate stories of people who dare to do the extraordinary (and especially the woman who dare to give up high heels, skinny lattes and heat magazine).   ;D

There was a similar kind of story a while ago on the BMW website (don‚??t seem to be able to find it on there now or I would have posted it) ‚?? of this woman that also gave  up everyday existence for her bike (but this was a vintage BMW) and toured the world ‚?? amazing, wish I could just make that leap!  ;)

Thx for the inspiration!  :thumleft:
Embrace change, you only have one life, and it's so short!

Offline BMWPE

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 06:01:10 pm »
Ordered it from Kalahari at post office collecting tomorrow
Rallye

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 06:32:30 pm »
Hope yer Latte arrives unspilt lol
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline BMWPE

• Race Dog
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 06:37:24 pm »
Hope yer Latte arrives unspilt lol

? ???
Rallye

Offline MatchStick

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 11:49:53 am »
Just started reading the book, interesting fact is that there were two woman who rode down Africa in the early thirties with a side car  :o

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 06:45:07 am »
Just started reading the book, interesting fact is that there were two woman who rode down Africa in the early thirties with a side car  :o

That is true, it was two ladies on a 1936 Panther Redwing (600cc) similar to mine, but with a sidecar.
They came down from London to Cape Town. I have the story at home, i will go dig it up!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline lecap

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:44:09 am »

That is true, it was two ladies on a 1936 Panther Redwing (600cc) similar to mine, but with a sidecar.
They came down from London to Cape Town. I have the story at home, i will go dig it up!

Mail it to Charlie and Ewan  :evil6:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline MatchStick

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:39:53 am »
Ok, I'm not great report writer.  :P So far I have got to chapter 11 in her book, it is written more as a novel. No information with regards to total distance for the day fuel consumed any mechanical issues encountered. She met up with a Belgium couple in Tunisia and has basically done her journey through Niger and the northern tip of Nigeria into Cameroon with them.
Metaljockey's report had me more on the edge of my seat waiting for the next installment.
Don't get me wrong the book is interesting to read, with regards to the different people she met red tape issues etc, but it still reads as a novel. Will update once I've completed the book.

Offline BMWPE

• Race Dog
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 10:10:24 pm »
Enjoyed the book
Think she has got bigger balls than Charlie and Ewan put together

Her web site

http://www.loisontheloose.com/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:58:27 pm by BMWPE »
Rallye

Offline Iron Shark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 09:31:25 pm »
Sounds interesting...
Kawasaki KH 175 - sold
Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - sold
BMW 1200 GS - sold
BMW 1200 GSA - loving it