Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KLE500 new front brake disk time..  (Read 1861 times)

Offline nickza

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
KLE500 new front brake disk time..
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:17:17 am »
So after 60 000km its time for a new front brake disk.. Is OEM my only option? No ones fitted a cool wavey disk etc?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:17:45 am by nickza »

Offline Shaun500

Re: KLE500 new front brake disk time..
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 11:02:39 am »
So after 60 000km its time for a new front brake disk.. Is OEM my only option? No ones fitted a cool wavey disk etc?
I had a new one made up at Craigs in Maitland.  It cost me R 700.  OEM is over R 3000 new.  You must however use Ferodo platinum pads as other pads will chow the disk up in no time.  I don't think they use the same material as OEM.  Someone I know that did trials riding wanted to make his own disks for his KTM 450 exc but was struggling to get the correct material in SA.  They do squeak a bit but you'll learn to live with it. It's good enough though. You will need to give your disk as a sample otherwise you can lend my old one as a sample.  PM me if you need assistance.

Offline nickza

• Pack Dog
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:05:50 am »
I had a new one made up at Craigs in Maitland.  It cost me R 700.  OEM is over R 3000 new.  You must however use Ferodo platinum pads as other pads will chow the disk up in no time.  I don't think they use the same material as OEM.  Someone I know that did trials riding wanted to make his own disks for his KTM 450 exc but was struggling to get the correct material in SA.  They do squeak a bit but you'll learn to live with it. It's good enough though. You will need to give your disk as a sample otherwise you can lend my old one as a sample.  PM me if you need assistance.

Thats good to hear! my brakes currently squeal when coming to a complete stop, front and back but I've learnt to live with it.

Lending your disk will be a lot easier than being without mine for a few days so I may take you up on that offer

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:09:13 am »

Thats good to hear! my brakes currently squeal when coming to a complete stop, front and back but I've learnt to live with it.

Lending your disk will be a lot easier than being without mine for a few days so I may take you up on that offer
Sent you a PM  :thumleft:

Offline nickza

• Pack Dog
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 11:43:01 am »
When they cut it, just normal disk or wavey?  :biggrin:

Offline Titanic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at 260.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 11:44:16 am »
Please report back on the performance of the disk if you have one made up.
Mine looks good, but the squealing is bothering me.

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 12:52:16 pm »
Please report back on the performance of the disk if you have one made up.
Mine looks good, but the squealing is bothering me.
It works ok.  I don't think it will be as good as OEM.  I think the made up disks use Stainless 3CR12 material.  The squealing is a bit annoying but I got used to it.  The braking performance is adequate for my needs though.

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 12:53:34 pm »
When they cut it, just normal disk or wavey?  :biggrin:
Normal as per sample.

Offline dieseldawie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 12:57:45 pm »
Where are my shorts??

Offline nickza

• Pack Dog
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 02:33:49 pm »
http://www.nodico.co.za/index.php

Front Disc                            (20.229)                R 1837

no current stock, will need to order 2-3 weeks.

Online speed

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 03:38:29 pm »
My KLE with wich I commute to work and back stands on 106000km.Stil got the original disk on.

Offline nickza

• Pack Dog
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 03:40:59 pm »
My KLE with wich I commute to work and back stands on 106000km.Stil got the original disk on.

My front disk is no longer flat, has high and low spots which I think are now influencing how well the brakes work. I find the brakes fairly bad compared to other bikes, have even considered braided hoses to sharpen things up.

Online speed

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 03:51:53 pm »
KLE is known for their bad braking capabilities.I got used to it.

Offline hje

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Tried to be normal once, worst 2 min of my life
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 07:25:46 pm »
Mine did the same and is worn very unevenly, got a set of Gold Fren pads from Craig's in Parow and all is quiet now and stopping power is much better than the Ferodo's that were on there. Was about R300 incl fitting.
Live each day as if it's your last................just ride.....

Ride the wind...... Race the rain...... Chase the sunset

KTM 950 ADV, TRUIMPH TIGER 885, DR 750, KLR 600, KLE 500, BMW K100,

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 08:28:44 am »
Mine did the same and is worn very unevenly, got a set of Gold Fren pads from Craig's in Parow and all is quiet now and stopping power is much better than the Ferodo's that were on there. Was about R300 incl fitting.
Be careful of using other pads on the Craigs disk.  I use the Ferodo platinum pads on mine.  They squeaked a lot in the beginning but have settled now.  The sintered pads give much better stopping power but it chows the disk quickly.  KLE brakes are known to have a wooden feel.

Offline nickza

• Pack Dog
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 08:43:02 am »
In a very public display of laziness.. I've still yet to replace the disk.. To be fair I've not been riding all that much.

Time to change that but I've decided to go a different route. After some Googling it seems EBC make a front disk so I found one online and ordered it.

EBC part number is: MD6093D if anyone is interested.
EBC Online Part Catalogue: https://ebcbrakes.com/assets/Flip-Catalogues/EBC_Issue_202_MC_Catalogue_May_2020/mobile/index.html

With concerns of using a specific pad and possible squealing I decided to try this route, will take a few weeks to arrive so will report back.

So it seems we have 3 options

1.) OEM, which is reportedly very expensive
2.) EBC replacement
3.) Having the disk made up from a sample

Will let you guys know if I just bought a very large round paperweight  :ricky:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:43:52 am by nickza »

Offline dieseldawie

• Race Dog
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 10:21:24 am »
What is the cost of the EBC disk?

Did you not consider going for a lager rotor and bracket to move the caliper to give you a but more stopping power. I did that on my KLR and was not a lot more than a new Kawa Disk
Where are my shorts??

Offline nickza

• Pack Dog
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 11:17:58 am »

Did you not consider going for a lager rotor and bracket to move the caliper to give you a but more stopping power. I did that on my KLR and was not a lot more than a new Kawa Disk

$105 for the disk.

What rotor did you use? From what I can determine from all my googling is the front rotor used on a KLE500 is not shared with a single other motorcycle so not sure how easy that would be but it is 4th possible option.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:23:12 am by nickza »

Offline dieseldawie

• Race Dog
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 11:53:19 am »

$105 for the disk.

What rotor did you use? From what I can determine from all my googling is the front rotor used on a KLE500 is not shared with a single other motorcycle so not sure how easy that would be but it is 4th possible option.

it was a tusK kit. Came with 320mm disk and bracket around $200.

BTW @LeonDude is stripping a KLE and and both disks are nearly brand new, as I fitted them and not many KM added since then. Disks are metal gear.
Where are my shorts??

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 12:18:08 pm »

$105 for the disk.

it was a tusK kit. Came with 320mm disk and bracket around $200.

BTW @LeonDude is stripping a KLE and and both disks are nearly brand new, as I fitted them and not many KM added since then. Disks are metal gear.
Thanks DieselDawie.
Nickza, if you don't come right, give me a PM and we can try to sort you out with the disk. As DD said, the disk is almost brand new.
You are also welcome to call me on 082 331 8656
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html