F800GS fork bushings - now the main suspects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelis+

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I have a 2011 F800GS with 50 000 km. I bought it with Hyperpro springs. Out of sheer desperation to solve a bit of a "head shake" problem, I resorted to fitting the original springs.  I know they were designed for low testosterone men, but I was really deperate.  Now that I have confessed, here is the storyline.
*  After the 40 000 km service, the bike started developing a bit of a headshake, almost like an unbalanced tyre.  This crept up on me and I was later unsure if the bike had always been like that.
* The shake occurred from low to high speeds, so I thought it was unlikely to be bad balancing.
* The obvious culprit was a badly worn Anakee 3.  I replaced the tyre.  No change.
*  The steering head bearing was loose.  When lifting the front of the bike, and pulling the front tyre up and down, a click sound could be heard, and I could feel the play when pushing my finger between the bearing housing and the body of the bike.  I had the bearing replaced, and there was a small improvement. 
* I resorted to fitting the original front springs (thanks Heinzz) on the advice of BMW Sandton.  I also thought that the type of oil, and oil level was not correct after the BMW service (they used the standard oil and level). Some improvement, especially at higer speeds.
*  I had the steering head bearing torqued again when fitting original springs.  I check this at home, but the bearing was loose.  I fasten it myself this time.  I lifted the front wheel, and when the play and clicking sound disappeared when pulling the font tyre up and down,and loosened it slightly.  Big improvement - the shake is now gone over 60km/h, and slight shake (possibly induced by neurosis) at lower speeds.
* Possible explanations for the residual slight sake may be
- newe tyre may have started to wear badly
- vibration transferred from back of bike
- bad tube
- chain too loose (I ajusted to spec and still needs to test ride)
- rear suspension setup incorrect, which brings me to the real subject of this email.

I am trying to set the rear sag to 30% of the travel, on advice of what I read on the internet. 
Based on a full travel of 215mm, the sag is as follows
Turned compelete clockwise - 35%
5 turns back - 40%
10 turns back (ie another 5 turns back) - 44%.
15 turns back -48%
20 turns back (fully anti-clockwise) 51%

I am 100kg, There is no way of setting it up for a 30% sag.  How on earth will the setting work for 2 riders ?
Am I missing something here ?