SOFT LUGGAGE....opinions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.K.

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I have always made my own soft luggage and have recently started making some prototypes with a view to manufacturing.
I am fortunate in that I do not depend on it for a living and have the facilities to design and manufacture pretty much anything out of canvass or PVC.

Some questions to help me:
1. What material do you prefer...Ripstop canvass or PVC ?
2. What is the optimum size for a barrel-bag ? ...I am currently leaning towards 450mm x 280mm diameter.

My concept is as follows:
1.Start with a well thought out standard sized barrel bag that will fit most bikes.
2. Waterproof and dustproof bag, heavyduty zip with velcro flap to waterproof the zip, 2 x waterproof sidepockets for small items,webbing straps stitched at intervals across the length to prevent tiedown straps/bungies from sliding off.
3.LIFETIME GUARANTEE on workmanship and materials. If it breaks...you send...I fix...simple!  (I need to fine-tune this aspect )
4.Sold off the internet. I`m aiming at R600.00 per bag including delivery to anywhere in the country.(subject to checking courier rates)
5.Custom bags made to order and priced accordingly.

Your comments and/constructive criticism welcome.
I do not want to look at soft panniers yet...I have made some and have some ideas, but would really just like comments on the above questions, product and concept for now.
I am not yet a forum vendor so don`t ask for pics on this forum, but if you send me a message I will happily watsap pics to you.

cheers
PETE