Route report to Phalaborwa via Belfast, Dullstroom, Lydenburg en Ohrigstad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serfie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Despite warnings of members of this forum, I nevertheless decided to avoid the N1 for my weekend trip to Phalaborwa.

Never mind the blistering heat of 41 degrees Celsius last Friday, this route was nothing else but a nightmare to ride!  :patch: The road from Dullstroom, to Lydenburg and Ohrigstad was a POTHOLE nightmare of severe  proportions! From Lydenburg one didn't have to only keep a lookout for potholes, BUT for animals on the road. In the Abel Erasmus pass, on several occasions I encountered cattle on both sides of the road!!!! Then there were the dogs, spaza shops, goats and the ever welcome baboons also to keep a lookout for. There are also two STOP and GO sections on this road where I waited for approx. 10 mins at each area...in the 41 degree heat!!!!

Under normal conditions this would be a beautiful road, but I just could not enjoy the scenery...  :(

Needless to say, I returned via Tzaneen, Polokwane and the BORING N1 to JHB.

Doubt whether in my lifetime, this route will be repaired to such an extend that it could be considered motorbike friendly!!!

So...be care full out there, if you go that way!!!  :deal: