HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!! GPS4AFRICA and the GARMIN ZUMO GPS 395LM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serfie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
So, eventually I have the moolas for a bike GPS, and decided to purchase it from GPS4Africa in Centurion.

On Tuesday (last week) I took the bike to them for installing the cradle and wiring and after some basic instructions, took receipt of the device and went off on my merry way back home to Krugersdorp. Then the problems with the  device started!!! Every now and then it would, in the middle of a procedure just freeze up...for a long time...and eventually switched itself off. The route calculation could  also not be completed...for some or other reason it would stop at 75% of the calculation process....and freeze up. Several phone calls to the dealer for help achieved nothing.

The following day, I returned the unit to the dealer (in excess of a 100km at my expense!), who replaced it with another one. All seemed to be okay whilst at the dealer, but back at home, other problems with the replaced unit surfaced!!  :patch: This time round, the unit were voiceless!!! It would indicate the route as per normal..just no voice. Again, several calls to and from the shop (including calls by the shop to GARMIN) were unable to resolve the problem. By the third day (Thursday) we were able to get a voice on the device. It turned out that a  wrong setting was used!.

So eventually all seemed settled, routes were loaded, ready to go...on the following day!!!

HA!!!...not to be!.... Friday morning, as the unit was clipped into the cradle, a message appeared on the screen (BATTERY LOW)...which was a clear indication that electrical contact with the bikes' battery was not established!!!...and soon the device switched itself off...  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

By this time, I was PISSED OFF, to put it mildly. I contacted the shop and informed them...that I will pop in on my return from Phalaborwa. On Monday morning I did just that. They established that there was nothing wrong with the electrical installation or cradle, the unit would just not make contact with the cradle connection!...and they could not explain this malfunction or fix it!...BUT offered alternative units!!

This was unacceptable to me and I requested a refund on the purchase.

NOW...it would be interesting to hear whether other dawgs have had similar experiences with the GARMIN 395LM...I now have no idea what to try next...and with which dealer. Still have the need for a bike GPS!

Please advise if you can...

Status
Not open for further replies.