Silence the Rear brake rattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelwithacause

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi guys,

Lately I have been irritated by a persistent rattle from the rear brake caliper. It comes mostly from the inner brake pad  (wheel-side one - one with holes that rests on the pins)  against the outer arm of the caliper body. Of all the rattles on the KLR, this is the only one that I would love to stop. Only way to stop it is to apply some light pressure on the brake which engages the piston and moves the brake pads to touch the rotor and the caliber body. The rattle is mainly due to some wear on the pins that the pads are supported on.

I have read that guys silicon (heat resistant naturally) the pads to the piston on the one side and the outer arm on the other. this could work. I also read that guys place a soft spring over the sliding pins between the caliper body and the outer brake pad. This pushes the pad against the outer arms of the caliper and no rattle. I tried the spring idea, but this also pushes the piston back into the caliper by moving the piston and outer brake pad toward the rotor. The effect of the piston being pushed back is that a larger stroke is then required from the foot brake lever to engage and apply brakes. Also it causes the outer pad to drag n the rotor defeating the floating caliper concept.  A softer spring would do this to a lesser extent.

Is there anyone else that has been having the rattle issue and how have you sorted it?