1979 Suzuki GN400 - Refurbish or Rubbish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
My one boss/colleague Bob has an old 1979 Suzuki GN400 that he is thinking of either fixing up to use again or to get rid off. License had not been paid for a long time and he's lost the papers.

So his question is, is it worthwhile forking out the cash to use the bike again or else restore and sell on? (not sure what these would go for)
or does he cut his losses take the R500 offered as is and buy a nice bottle of whisky? (This offer is a bit low imho)

also, how does he get papers again and can he get it licensed again without having to pay the fees for the missing years?

This is the email Bob sent me with the bike info:
the details of the bike are as follows:

It is a 1979 Suzuki GN400 registered in my name.

It has been off the road since 2004 and is badly corroded but not seized up (ie the engine turns by kickstart)

I have lost all the paperwork, but I have the2005 license disc.

If I wanted to refurbish it what must I do in terms of the traffic Dept?. I don’t want to pay all the back years licenses back to 2004. The traffic dept don’t have my new address and I don’t want them to have it in case they persue me for the missing yearly license fees?

I have been offered R500 for it as is or R1000 with “papers” not sure what “papers” are needed or how I’d get them (duplicates). Registrations documents? But would the traffic dept give me duplicates without demanding the back-license fees?

The man at local bike shop said I will not get the money back I spend on it if I get it refurbished (over R10 000 – but he can’t say exactly).

I’m feeling I should take the R500 and forget the bike….

No photos unfortunately

What say the dogs?  :patch: