Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sailor Malan story on video  (Read 375 times)

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
    • View Profile
Sailor Malan story on video
« on: February 26, 2017, 11:22:42 am »
Biography.  One mistake - he was called 'Admiral' by his mates originally.  Officers objected so he was demoted to 'Sailor'.  But the video does make it clear how it was 74 Squadron of Biggen Hill that was the major component of the Battle of Britain on the RAF side.  No other squadron contributed as much as 74.
&feature=youtu.be

Offline Whethefakawe

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • View Profile
Re: Sailor Malan story on video
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 01:48:34 am »
Hmmmm.......revionist history, wildly inaccurate regarding the "men of other races" who flew in the RAF in WW2. Everything he says between 9:00 and 10:00 is basically PC hearsay. The famous photo of Group Captain (colonel)  Malan talking to a "black" pilot is misrepresented all over the interwebs. He was Flt Sgt Vincent Bunting of 611 Squadron, a Jamaican.  Sailor certainly never flew "alongside" neither him, nor the other chappie with the dog. That was Warrant Officer (Sergeant Major in pongo lingo)  James Hyde of 132 Squadron, from Trinidad.

The RAF is in the throes of a "diversity" spasm the last few years. The RAF Museum at Hendon put up a huge display to that effect a few years ago, and with the new female Director at the helm, the current GBP 5 Million makeover of the Museum is bound to be even more so. I was there two weeks ago - the whole place is a construction site, disassembled aircraft stuck into every nook and cranny and, of course, MUD everywhere  :lol8:

The facts are, that
a) not a single non-white pilot flew in the Battle of Britain. The one Jamaican and one Barbadian listed were both white boys from pommie families. Sort of like Rhodesians or SAns.   
b) Sailor Malan never flew with any of the three non-white pilots depicted in the video. The Indian chappie Mahender Pujji, only got his RAF wings shortly before Wing Commander Malan went off ops for a rest in August 1941. He only spent a short time flying in Europe, then a short spell in North Africa before being posted to the Burma theatre for the bulk of his war. The Jamaican in the photo was in 611 squadron when Group Captain Malan was the Station Commander at Biggin Hill, a non-flying command position. The oke with the dog, Hyde, was in 132 Squadron in 1944, when Gp Capt Malan was CO of 145 Wing, made up of three French Spitfire squadrons.
c) There were very few BLACK pilots in the RAF. A quick scan of various sources suggest maybe two or three dozen, out of a total of maybe 400 black aircrew. Almost all were from the Caribbean - Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, etc. Several had distinguished careers, but "The Only Black Lancaster Pilot" had a mental breakdown on his 15th operation, dumped his "Tallboy" 10 000 kg bomb in the ocean and flew home and turned in his wings. Not exactly hero material.
d) I can't find any evidence of ONE "African" black pilot anywhere, just a handful (literally) of aircrew. The Canadians had a few black pilots and aircrew too, but once again miniscule numbers - a few dozen, if that.
e) The narrative is misleading about the Battle of Britain, too. 574 of the 2900 or so pilots who flew at least one operational flight between 20 July and 31 October 1940, the official BoB time frame, were not British. The "thousands" remark is deliberately misleading, and the other vague references to pilots of other races is intended to make someone who doesn't know the facts, believe that a large percentage of them were "black". THAT I deduce from watching some of his other videos.

This Mark oke's youtube videos are all heavily politicised, and unfortunately this one, of a real hero, is too.  He has the facts about Sailor Malan's career correct but the obfuscation about race and aircrew makes the video an opinion piece, and not historically accurate.

So much for that.....regarding Sailor Malan:

Despite his fame and achievements, I have seen very little actual film footage of him. A youtube or British Pathe search will produce some, but it's not as much as one would think. In SA of course,  he and all the other WW2 veterans were swept under the carpet by the Nats in 1948. No parades for them......

Searching youube, this is all I found:   
https://youtu.be/vj6y108rg68
https://youtu.be/pW8gNsq5_n8
 In this one, there is a brief view of a mural, with the Popeye looking character being Sailor Malan (at :58)
https://youtu.be/7YDmPiUZeng

Much has been written about the man himself, mostly about his wartime achievements. He was an interesting mix of a quiet, modest man but a harsh disciplinarian, which I interpret as "no time for bullshit". He was 30 years old during the BoB, and his maturity gave him a much better understanding of the bigger picture. I've read accounts of pilots who flew as his no.2's at various times. He was very hard on aircraft, flew at full power when over enemy territory, and maneuvered constantly and violently. He kept to his own rule of "never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds" very dilligently. He was also extremely aggressive and a superior shot, which was bad news for the Luftwaffe. Apparently he had phenomenal eyesight too, early on - just after the Dunkirk evacuation I think it was - he went up at night and shot down two German bombers by using Eyeball Mk.1. The instrument panel from one of them is in a museum in London somewhere......IWM if I recall correctly, but that was completely dumbed-down and PC-fied during the recemt "remodel" so who knows where that priceless artifact is now.   

Of all the famous BoB pilots, in fact in the RAF overall, he is considered to have had the greatest individual impact on the RAF because of his "big picture" type thinking. He had a major influence on new tactics for the RAF, which at the time of the BoB was still flying in rigid, inflexible pre-war formations. He was also a phenomenal shot, and his time as CO of the Central Gunnery School did much to improve that aspect in Fighter Command too.

The "legless ace" Douglas Bader is sometimes painted as very influential, but objective analysis of his tactics, for one, says otherwise. Even during the BoB there were interpersonal and inter-unit politics played, and Bader was very much involved in that. Read up on "Bader's big wing" if you want more details.

Over the last 10 years or so I met and became friendly with many old WW2 men, sadly all of them are now gone. That war devastated many families, I saw some of that up close 70 and 75 years later. One old man  (who lived 3 blocks from my parents' house for 30 years while I was growing up, we figured out) told me that he thought about his dead older brother, who was shot down in Egypt in June 1941 EVERY DAY of his life. He died at 85 two years ago.

The same happened to the Malan family. What's not well-known outside aviation history circles, is that two of Sailor's brothers, Francis and Ralph were  killed in action, one in the RAF in Tunisia and the other in the SAAF. (You know, Tok-tokkie.)

The scars of that war are only now slowly fading, two and three generations later.

The one that's going to engulf Europe within the next decade (probably much less) will be even more traumatic to even more people. This time, the Euros are on their own.......nobody outside that continent and in their right mind would volunteer to get sucked into their self-induced battle for survival.  Looks like the Brits have woken up, but time will tell whether it was too late. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:53:29 am by Whethefakawe »
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline Whethefakawe

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 02:47:52 am »
The Chicago Science Museum has a small but excellent aviation section. It has one of the only two Ju 87 Stuka dive bombers left, the other is at RAF Museum Hendon. (There's a badly corroded partial airframe at the Sinsheim Auto und Technik Museum in Germany too, but only two complete aircraft remain). This Stuka was captured in North Africa by the RAF, how it ended up in America is a story I forget the details of.

Displayed with the Stuka is a Spitfire Mark 1A, which, as far is known, was used by Sailor Malan during the BoB to shoot down two German aircraft. It shot down a total of 5, and is considered one of, if not THE most historic Spitfire in existence.

These two aircraft are displayed in their "natural" state, with the Spit on the Stuka's arse  :lol8:

Phenomenal museum btw, there's also an original U-boat, U-550.......also one of only two or three left. I took the VIP tour through it, makes your neck hair stand up.

Every major Science Museum I've been to was excellent come to think of it.

You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:42 am »
Thanks very much for those posts.
I am sad to hear about the dumming down of the Hendon museum.  Some years ago I did a trip looking at stationary steam engines in the UK.  I steered clear of the Birmingham museum which used to be famous for its engineering displays & very much the steam engine stuff.  It had effectively been transformed into a children's entertainment arena.

Offline westfrogger

• Bike: BMW 650GS / Dakar / Sertão
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:59:51 am »
Thanks for the insight, interesting for sure. I can kick myself for missing the science museum when in Chicago (not to mention not going to Dayton).

Offline sidetrack

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 06:06:48 pm »
Is that 727 hanging by cables alone !
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north