'97 KTM 250 SX rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GS Jane

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hello!

My mates and I decided to rebuild a 1997/98 KTM 250SX, and improve it a bit while we're at it  :ricky:.  If anyone has some parts/plastics gathering dust, please let me know what you have  :thumleft:

The bike is still in running condition, had it out on a few rides after we did some minor work to it, but it is in need of some serious TLC.  Was originally bought by one of the team as a beginner bike, which it is not. Not sure of the history of this bike either.  She's since upgraded to the more civilised and beginner friendly Yamaha TTR230.

Minor things we've done on it previously - stripped and cleaned the carb, it now starts first or second kick; some work on the clutch; moved the throttle cable from underneath the fuel tank to a better position, it was pulling when you turned even in the slightest.

Work to do:
- Complete stripdown
- Sand- and media blast the frame and engine and repaint (some rust spots)
- Bearings
- Some dings and clean exhaust, it has a full FMF Gold Series pipe  :thumleft: and sounds amazing
- Top and bottom-end rebuild, porting, squish band and blueprinting
- Plastics

This is a weekend project, I apologise in advance if this thread progresses slowly  ;)

Progress thus far - stripped the bike down but kept the frame as a rolling chassis to easily move it around.